DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Studying for Test

Bill Wade

Reactions
Got the APP Remote Pilot and I'm studying so I can take the test to fly-over residential and roofs, any help / hints?

Sorry for the newbie question, but what test are you talking about?

Ya.
I took it about 10 days ago.
Read the Advisory Circular.
https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/AC_107-2_AFS-1_Signed.pdf

Do practice tests
FAA Drone Exam Online Practice Tests | 3D Robotics - Drone & UAV Technology.
https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_questions/media/uag_sample_exam.pdf

There are a number of web sites that contain all of this information.

I have been in aviation for my entire career, from private pilot through navy carrier based pilot and a complete airline career, so I read the advisory circular one day, took a practice test the next, and the took the test the next day. Didn't have any problem with the test, which looked to me like it was cobbled together with a lot of stuff that wasn't that relevant.

Be very familiar with the legend in the sectional charts. I was quite surprised how many questions came from the supplement they give you that has snapshots of sectionals. Be aware that the legend is also included in the supplement they give you, so if you're unsure about symbology, just go back to the legend.
Still, unless you have looked at that stuff before, that is very time consuming.
Know how to read aviation weather forecasts and current conditions.

Anyway, good luck.

Reactions: BrooklynFlyer
@ascension Does FAA Certification allow you to fly over public places people etc. I thought it was to allow you to do commercial work with your drone, ok, this may involve flying over people etc. but only if you were doing so 'commercially'. Does it also allow you do then fly this way recreationally? Just curious.

@ascension Does FAA Certification allow you to fly over public places people etc. I thought it was to allow you to do commercial work with your drone, ok, this may involve flying over people etc. but only if you were doing so 'commercially'. Does it also allow you do then fly this way recreationally? Just curious.

No it does not.
You need a waiver to get authorization to do anything that is not normally permitted.

And by the way, I forgot to emphasize the need to know airspace classifications for the test, and how they are depicted on the sectionals, especially class C and D. Not so much A and B.
Lots of questions about that.
Here's a tutorial.

http://www.houstonsoaring.org/Documents/Airspace_for_Dummies.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: chippie
yeah, I too was confused by the OP topic... I thought the certification just allows you to fly for compensation.

No it does not.
You need a waiver to get authorization to do anything that is not normally permitted.

And by the way, I forgot to emphasize the need to know airspace classifications for the test, and how they are depicted on the sectionals, especially class C and D. Not so much A and B.
Lots of questions about that.
Here's a tutorial.

http://www.houstonsoaring.org/Documents/Airspace_for_Dummies.pdf

Thanks, that is what I thought. I think the OP may have a different view of what the certification actually is not to mention how much work is actually involved but I could be wrong of course.

Ya.
I took it about 10 days ago.
Read the Advisory Circular.
https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/AC_107-2_AFS-1_Signed.pdf

Do practice tests
FAA Drone Exam Online Practice Tests | 3D Robotics - Drone & UAV Technology.
https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_questions/media/uag_sample_exam.pdf

There are a number of web sites that contain all of this information.

I have been in aviation for my entire career, from private pilot through navy carrier based pilot and a complete airline career, so I read the advisory circular one day, took a practice test the next, and the took the test the next day. Didn't have any problem with the test, which looked to me like it was cobbled together with a lot of stuff that wasn't that relevant.

Be very familiar with the legend in the sectional charts. I was quite surprised how many questions came from the supplement they give you that has snapshots of sectionals. Be aware that the legend is also included in the supplement they give you, so if you're unsure about symbology, just go back to the legend.
Still, unless you have looked at that stuff before, that is very time consuming.
Know how to read aviation weather forecasts and current conditions.

Anyway, good luck.

Would I need license to fly over / survey roofs if roof owner provided permission .... Mostly just larger commercial roofs but some such as shopping center maybe in the mix?

Would I need license to fly over / survey roofs if roof owner provided permission .... Mostly just larger commercial roofs but some such as shopping center maybe in the mix?

If you were getting paid for it, yes.

What about even if not getting paid as the footage is of a commercial property being used to possibly assess damage etc. OK, you could say you were doing it for a friend but could they question what the footage was for? Hypothetical of course as it would probably never come down to questions like that etc...

What about even if not getting paid as the footage is of a commercial property being used to possibly assess damage etc. OK, you could say you were doing it for a friend but could they question what the footage was for? Hypothetical of course as it would probably never come down to questions like that etc...

You are getting into hypotheticals, and I don't work for the FAA, so I'm not going to comment.
There is a lot of information on this at many FAA authored sites.
It would be best if you looked at those and arrived at your own conclusions.
Would take you less than 20 mins to get your answer.

Thanks and yes we would be getting paid for our efforts or survey maybe part of bid package, in which case not technically paid yet but with Owner's Permission I suspect we would be ok ....

Of course common sense applies wherever you fly - Safety First!

Thanks, appreciate your time ...

Happy Holidays!

PS .... Even with no license required for my needs ..... I am going ahead and studying anyways - If I get license just a feather in the cap that could be a useful feather someday!

Thanks and yes we would be getting paid for our efforts or survey maybe part of bid package, in which case not technically paid yet but with Owner's Permission I suspect we would be ok ....

Of course common sense applies wherever you fly - Safety First!

Thanks, appreciate your time ...

Happy Holidays!

PS .... Even with no license required for my needs ..... I am going ahead and studying anyways - If I get license just a feather in the cap that could be a useful feather someday!

I think you misunderstood ascension, you do need to be certified and obtain a waiver for any commercial work.

You are getting into hypotheticals, and I don't work for the FAA, so I'm not going to comment.
There is a lot of information on this at many FAA authored sites.
It would be best if you looked at those and arrived at your own conclusions.
Would take you less than 20 mins to get your answer.
Sorry dude, was only curious as you seemed to know your stuff :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dean1980