DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stupid ideas I sometimes get, but would never follow up on. :)

• Thread starter Deleted member 170519
  • Start date
I used to fly RC Gliders back in the 80s. There were two ways to launch, tow with a powered plane or slingshot from the ground. I can actually see using a drone as a tow with the right rigging.
Yep that's the way I started my rc history as well, same time frame as well, 1982. We used a power winch with a retriever line and spool winder . It was at the navy base on the weekends, great fun. I used to watch the stunt kites flying at the parks on ocean drive and at South Padre Island.

Yep that's the way I started my rc history as well, same time frame as well, 1982. We used a power winch with a retriever line and spool winder . It was at the navy base on the weekends, great fun.
I started with the rubber band slingshot. Had a lot of nose dives. 🤣 Then built a launch ramp that put it up in the air faster.

Yep that's the way I started my rc history as well, same time frame as well, 1982. We used a power winch with a retriever line and spool winder . It was at the navy base on the weekends, great fun. I used to watch the stunt kites flying at the parks on ocean drive and at South Padre Island.
I started with the rubber band slingshot. Had a lot of nose dives. 🤣 Then built a launch ramp that put it up in the air faster.
I fly RC fixed wings but not gliders - but I love watching the soaring club guys do their "Discus Launch" with appropriate sized gliders. If you're not familiar with the technique, they grab the tip of a wing and literally throw it into the air like a discus. Pretty amazing to watch.

My mind seems to get some crazy ideas the older I get.
Was wondering if anyone ever tried launching a kite with its string attached to a drone?
Funny, I try to think out of the box and come up with different things. I'm sure everyone does.
My idea a while back (which I'm sure has been done) is to take a flight mission made in Litchi then modifiy another almost exact same mission except maybe 20 feet higher. Use the original mission on drone number one then use the 20 feet higher mission on drone 2 and start the missions a second or two apart so that when they fly they will be almost in sync and would look like a flight chase from drone 2's camera when you look at the video. I'd need another pilot to try it but don't know anyone around here with a drone.

Funny, I try to think out of the box and come up with different things. I'm sure everyone does.
My idea a while back (which I'm sure has been done) is to take a flight mission made in Litchi then modifiy another almost exact same mission except maybe 20 feet higher. Use the original mission on drone number one then use the 20 feet higher mission on drone 2 and start the missions a second or two apart so that when they fly they will be almost in sync and would look like a flight chase from drone 2's camera when you look at the video. I'd need another pilot to try it but don't know anyone around here with a drone.
There are people out there that do light shows with scyronized drones. First time I saw it was on Americas got Talent.
Here is the idea.

Reactions: Torque and Tufargon
There are people out there that do light shows with scyronized drones. First time I saw it was on Americas got Talent.
Here is the idea.
Yeah I've seen those but I was thinking of making it like a chase video. People try to do the follow mode on another drone which never works good but a planned mission should work pretty cool if the first drone stays in the picture of the second.

Yeah I've seen those but I was thinking of making it like a chase video. People try to do the follow mode on another drone which never works good but a planned mission should work pretty cool if the first drone stays in the picture of the second.
It should work as long as conditions are the same (wind), flight mission the same except for height, and executed a couple seconds apart.

Reactions: Tufargon
It should work as long as conditions are the same (wind), flight mission the same except for height, and executed a couple seconds apart.
That's what I'm thinking. The conditions will be exactly the same since they are flown at the same time. Would be best to have the exact same drone model too so the speeds and turning radiuses keep in cahoots with each other. Also on some drones you can put your finger on the screen and move the gimbal while in flight so if it would get out of view you could just use that to keep the first drone in picture. I'd love to see someone try it.

Last edited:
That's what I'm thinking. The conditions will be exactly the same since they are flown at the same time. Would be best to have the exact same drone model too so the speeds, and turning radiouses keep in cahoots with each other. Also on some drones you can put your finger on the screen and move the gimbal while in flight so if it would get out of view you could just use that to keep the first drone in picture. I'd love to see some try it.
I do have crazy ideas sometimes... but they are just thoughts and I don't act on them., thank goodness.
I haven't had any experience with way points or litchi. Probably should learn how. My flights have always been manual. But I like the idea and would love to see the video of someone trying it.

How about towing a sign behind a drone!

Reactions: Tufargon and Torque
How about towing a sign behind a drone!
I've seen that done a few times during the Phantom era here in Seattle at street festivals. I think Part 107 put a stop to that since you pretty much have to fly directly over the crowd for the sign to be visible. But it was a great way to advertise.

Now THAT is a good idea and sounds like a fun project... towing a kite?... not so much :)

Yeah and not one of those lame paper kites either, but a stunt kite with two lines that way you could use two drones with that much power you could actually make it work. Let us know how it goes.......🙃🙃:oops:
Those kites require a lot of pulling, so I don't think the drone has the stamina for it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom