DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stupid Mavic question...

trevsdad

Reactions
So, I just got my first Mavic (air 2) after flying a P3 Pro for aboout 3-years. When you land manually, howcum the drone stops at about half a foot off the deck and won't continue to decend untill you pin the stick?

Is there a way to disable this?

I think it has to do with the bottom sensors of all the Mavics. It may be annoying for you at first, but it's probably a failsafe for those of us with less flying experience to insure that the drone lands where you want it to. I suppose you could tape over the sensors. I'm not sure if you could turn them off but not sure why you would want to for the slight annyoyance. As you know if you are in RTH mode it will land itself without any pilot input.

It's actually quite 'dangerous' if you revert to an older drone that doesn't have this feature. I have blown the cobwebs off a couple of P3's and had forgotten you have to manually slow the descent for landing otherwise they just descend, at whatever speed, into the ground.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's actually quite 'dangerous' if you revert to an older drone that doesn't have this feature. I have blown the cobwebs off a couple of P3's and had forgotten you have to manually slow the descent for landing otherwise they just descend at whatever speed into the ground.

Actually, I’ve always appreciated the skill it takes to land under a variety of conditions...never had a serious mishap even in high wind. Guess It’s habit from flying general aviation.

Reactions: Romulus Archibald
I think it has to do with the bottom sensors of all the Mavics. It may be annoying for you at first, but it's probably a failsafe for those of us with less flying experience to insure that the drone lands where you want it to. I suppose you could tape over the sensors. I'm not sure if you could turn them off but not sure why you would want to for the slight annyoyance. As you know if you are in RTH mode it will land itself without any pilot input.

It's more principle than annoyance. Ask any pilot what they prefer...letting the aircraft land itself, or land it on your own? Most, I've know, including me would choose the latter.

So, I just got my first Mavic (air 2) after flying a P3 Pro for aboout 3-years. When you land manually, howcum the drone stops at about half a foot off the deck and won't continue to decend untill you pin the stick?

You know I have wondered the same thing, good question. I would also like to know if there is a way to set the initial take off height, I would like it to hovering at about 4-5 feet.
Please post the answer if you find one.
Good luck!

You know I have wondered the same thing, good question. I would also like to know if there is a way to set the initial take off height, I would like it to hovering at about 4-5 feet.
Good luck!

...will do.

It’s designed to check the condition of the landing site, and I guess the only way it can do this is To slow the decent regardless of what the operator inputs.

its a feature of all the Mavics ,mainly to do with the Mavs proximity to the ground, the phantoms had nice long landing legs, so there was plenty of clearance under the drone for the gimbal and props ,on the mavics the fact it hovers, is so the pilot can make sure that the chosen landing spot is suitable ,it does not prevent you from landing the drone yourself ,if you are in RTH mode just cancel the RTH as the drone descends and manually land ,i prefer to fly home manually and land the drone myself ,and the fact it hovers till i give it full down stick is not an issue

Good luck!
Doesn't that happen with auto take off?

It’s designed to check the condition of the landing site, and I guess the only way it can do this is To slow the decent regardless of what the operator inputs.

thanks, but I can slow the drone on decent. Still don’t get it.

its a feature of all the Mavics ,mainly to do with the Mavs proximity to the ground, the phantoms had nice long landing legs, so there was plenty of clearance under the drone for the gimbal and props ,on the mavics the fact it hovers, is so the pilot can make sure that the chosen landing spot is suitable ,it does not prevent you from landing the drone yourself ,if you are in RTH mode just cancel the RTH as the drone descends and manually land ,i prefer to fly home manually and land the drone myself ,and the fact it hovers till i give it full down stick is not an issue

I get that, but here’s the deal. Your ability to accurately gauge your position over the target is inversely proportional to how close you are to it. After the hover, when you pull the stick to descend, you’re committed...there’s no chance to make subtle corrections in the last inch or two. I understand how this feature can be useful for some, but for those of us who like to have full control of the aircraft, create the ability to disable it...I can handle it.

I just get it over the pad and use the "land" button. It sets it down nice and easy most of the time. There are times it will ask if I'm sure I want to land there but I just press accept and it does it by itself. Because it's so close to the ground (and I mostly use a landing pad unless I'm landing in a level area clear of grass) it doesn't suffer the high center of gravity that the Phantoms (and my X-Star) do when landing in wind or even a slightly uneven surface. I usually hand catch my X-Star unless it's extremely smooth and level landing area. I rarely use RTH but even so, I prefer to take over until the last foot or two. I guess I'm just lazy but it seems to work very well and it's one less stressful thing I have to deal with.

Reactions: Hi-Flyer
It's more principle than annoyance. Ask any pilot what they prefer...letting the aircraft land itself, or land it on your own? Most, I've know, including me would choose the latter.
I always use RTH and simply monitor the landing, always ready to tap “cancel” and finish manually. Most auto landings are fine. Job done.

Can you not disable "landing protection"? From memory you can not with the mini but maybe you can with the air 2. The work around for the mini is to cover the sensors with tape
Maybe i am misunderstanding you regarding "committed " but I find that even if either of my mavics have entered the landing phase and are in the final descent, throttling up sends it up again even if they are within an inch or less of the ground.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you not disable "landing protection"? From memory you can not with the mini but maybe you can with the air 2. The work around for the mini is to cover the sensors with tape
Maybe i am misunderstanding you regarding "committed " but I find that even if either of my mavics have entered the landing phase and are in the final descent, throttling up sends it up again even if they are within an inch or less of the ground.
i just find it strange that anyone would want to disable something called" landing protection"
the alternative being the drone hitting the ground regardless of what was underneath it,
the landing protection is just another form of obstacle avoidance it lets the drone know where it is in relation to terra firma

Reactions: GARhythm
To some extent so do I but, as I understand it, that seems to be the desire of the OP.
That said there have been occasions where I would like to fly really low, below 50cm, and with landing protection 'on' this is not possible. Conversely I have used "landing protection" to fly up a slope, the mini does it more reliably than the Mavic 2 pro or zoom

Reactions: old man mavic
covering the downwards sensors to fly in a specific area very close to the surface is fine as a one off if it is the only way to achieve the required results
but then maybe it would have been possible to achieve the same result using a go pro on a long handled mount
my remarks were aimed more at the OP as he was questioning why the drone hovered and waited for the down stick command before landing

Can’t you just turn off the bottom sensors on The MA2?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kkanoz86