DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stupid Question?

COZWV

Reactions
Haven't made my first flight yet so forgive me if this question is ridiculous. If I set my MP2 to 100 feet above my starting point (Home) and fly away from me will it maintain 100 feet above the elevation of the starting point OR will it maintain 100 feet above the ground currently beneath the drone?

It will maintain 100 feet elevation from your home point therefore if the ground rises then your bird will be less then 100 feet above ground level & your bird will be over 100 feet ground level if the elevation is falling.

Watching others videos they have made, I realize my question is indeed...stupid. Flying is flying. Thanks, I understand the RTH parameters.

Reactions: Former Member
A similar or related question: If I set my RTH altitude for 100 ' AGL at the takeoff place (home point) and I 'skillfully' fly up to the top of a 300' hill say 1 mile away, and then develop LOS (for what ever reason), what will the bird do as it initiates RTH??? Will it start RTH at the altitude it is at over the 300' hill? Or will it try to descend to the programmed RTH altitude which is 100' agl at the launch point?

A similar or related question: If I set my RTH altitude for 100 ' AGL at the takeoff place (home point) and I 'skillfully' fly up to the top of a 300' hill say 1 mile away, and then develop LOS (for what ever reason), what will the bird do as it initiates RTH??? Will it start RTH at the altitude it is at over the 300' hill? Or will it try to descend to the programmed RTH altitude which is 100' agl at the launch point?

It will RTH at the altitude it is at over the 300' hill.
It will not lower it's altitude on RTH, it will only raise it if it is below the height you have set for RTH height in you GO app.

Reactions: ff22
Or will it try to descend to the programmed RTH altitude which is 100' agl at the launch point?
DJI drones never descend when RTH is initiated.

Reactions: ff22
I set my RTH to 385'. It will clear any obstacle on its way home and still be legal. When using RTH, I have found that the higher the better.
I'm sure you'll agree @Thunderdrones , but this can sometimes get you in trouble if the winds at altitude are significantly greater than low down. So be cautious and ready to change RTH settings [or even override] based on terrain & weather.

Reactions: msinger
Watching others videos they have made, I realize my question is indeed...stupid. Flying is flying. Thanks, I understand the RTH parameters.
Question is NOT stupid. We have All had thoughts to ask about............

this can sometimes get you in trouble if the winds at altitude are significantly greater than low down
Great point. That's why I set my home point to about 50 feet higher than the tallest obstacle in my flying area. It's a much safer practice since it's often hard to tell how strong the winds are high in the sky.

Sometimes it’s difficult to determine what the max return to home altitude should be unless you’re living in the plains of Nebraska , ha! Anyone know of a map program that tells you the altitudes of Nearby hills or even man-made structures? Google earth doesn’t seem to have that feature

Sometimes it’s difficult to determine what the max return to home altitude should be unless you’re living in the plains of Nebraska , ha! Anyone know of a map program that tells you the altitudes of Nearby hills or even man-made structures? Google earth doesn’t seem to have that feature
See this thread about elevations in Google Earth. RTH Help

Yes, I just saw that thread a minute after posting this - that elevation feature doesn’t seem to be available in every area though

Anyone know of a map program that tells you the altitudes of Nearby hills or even man-made structures?
Without a map program, you can ascend above the takeoff location until you're able to see the horizon in all directions. The remote controller signal is not the strongest when flying directly above the remote controller, so you probably wouldn't want to stand directly beneath the drone when doing this.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obanat