DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Styrofoam Hot Knife to Modify Foam for Drone Travel?

PalmettoAerial

Reactions
Has anyone used on of these to modify the foam mold inside a hard case?

I like the durability and waterproofness of the Nanuk 925 but they dont have an insert for the RP Pro (only the smart) & I reached out to their CS team and they are unaware of any plans to make a foam insert specifically for the fly more with the RC ( they cant make custom inserts either)

So I was curious if anyone has modified a piece of foam with one of these "hot wire" knives? You can buy them for 20 bucks on amazon. They are made for cutting styrofoam ... im assuming it would work on nanuk foam.

Last edited:
Yes you can cut foam plastic with the hot wire knife. Makes a nice clean cut. Keep the hot wire moving while cutting. I would advise you to pick up a piece of urethane foam from a craft/sewing shop (e.g., JoAnn’s or Hobby Lobby) and practice a little before you cut on the actual foam insert. Good luck!

Reactions: PalmettoAerial
Lots of my fellow gun guys suggest freezing the styrofoam first to facilitate precision cuts. Great suggestion from forensics pilot to get some practice foam first though.

Reactions: PalmettoAerial
Have you looked into this one:

I've custom designed one to hold TWO aircraft in a single case with all my accessories.

Reactions: Dan AISCF
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure