DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

sUAV rules for indoor applications in the US..

AFAIK the FAA has no authority inside buildings. That's not part of the NAS. So, legally it's fine. But of course, you should get permission (from whoever would give it) anyway.

Indoors (so long as it's an enclosure to where the aircraft can't enter into the NAS) is outside of the FAA's authority.

Reactions: pmhchan
Check out these indoor videos in the USA

Any thoughts re: sUAV rules and regulations about doing the same thing INDOORS in the States?
Agree with those who point out that FAA regulations don't apply indoors.

But tort liability rules apply everywhere, so if you're flying near people, be sure to take proper precautions to avoid injuring anyone or damaging property, and be sure to carry appropriate insurance in case your precautions fail.

I wouldn't want to maneuver so close to people unless I was sure my props were extremely well-shrouded. Google "Enrique Iglesias drone" if you want an illustration of what can go wrong. I don't believe that incident was primarily the fault of the pilot, though perhaps the pilot could have contributed slightly by not taking every reasonable precaution to prevent it. Regardless, it was an expensive incident.

Reactions: Meta4 and pmhchan
The FAA cannot mess up our hobby indoors ... so Cinewhoops and tinywhoops are videoing up an FPV storm, indoors, these days. Prop guards and small size makes em 100% safe. They'd be just as safe doing FPV outdoors too - but the FAA doesn't want to hear that. (that's my main peeve with the FAA - because - besides flying DJI and planes - I use to fly small FPV in my yard - and I'd like to resume doing that ... legally ... same as I did before the FAA turned this safe activity into a crime)

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kia-6098.111