DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sucked in by the hype videos...

Deadpool

Reactions
Hi guys!

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the Mavic Air?

Obviously (as most people do) I was sucked in by all the hype videos on YouTube. I'm looking at this drone thinking to myself, that's the drone I've really been missing and it looks a lot more fun that my Mavic Pro.

But then a few days go by and you start reading more about it and more people are reviewing it on YouTube and giving the negatives.

It just really annoys me that these companies give the famous YouTubers products to try and review and because they are just desperate for views, they will not say a bad thing about it (ijustine, casey n, etc) and make out like the product is the best thing to ever be made.

Don't get me wrong, the Air looks awesome but is it worth getting or waiting on the Mavic Pro 2?

It just really annoys me that these companies give the famous YouTubers products to try and review and because they are just desperate for views, they will not say a bad thing about it (ijustine, casey n, etc) and make out like the product is the best thing to ever be made.

It's a modern version of commercials, therefore you cannot believe everything these people say.

If they said a bad word about the Mavic Air, they will not get a new drone for free ahead of launch next time. Pretty simple to understand this concept. ;)

It's rarely a good idea to be in the first rush of buyers with anything new.
At best there's likely to be some minor design flaws in production units which are resolved after they become apparent.
We saw this with Mavic compass cable routing, which was prone to interference in early versions..

It's a modern version of commercials, therefore you cannot believe everything these people say.

If they said a bad word about the Mavic Air, they will not get a new drone for free ahead of launch next time. Pretty simple to understand this concept. ;)

Yeah, I fully understand the concept, it's just a shame that you get very few honest reviews in the initial few weeks.

If DJI would send me a free brand new drone, that I could show off before anyone else on the planet. That would make my channel grow and increase my revenue...I would do that to (I think anyone would). NO question about it! As a viewer just judge all the early hype videos as information about the new drone.

Reactions: Skyroam
mostly because they are rushed out.
it was the same with the mavic, youtube videos out of focus, some were unaware of tap screen to focus.

The MA I believe is fixed focus like the Spark, which is another negative in my book.

There'll always be positives and negatives so just go with what works for you.

I've got a P4P but it's too bit and clunky for me to carry up hills etc especially with proper walking kit and my camera and tripod as well as other things. So I begun looking at getting a Spark because it was so small and portable but the flight time and specs of the camera didn't work for me because I want to film in 2.7k and/or 4k. I had the Mavic Pro before for a couple of weeks and didn't rate the camera highly etc due to all the camera issues it had so I didn't want to go back there. Then the announcement of the Mavic Air happened and it had everything I wanted plus more. Yeah the cameras very similar to the Mavic Pro but I'm hopeful that they sorted the issues. I've also seen comparisons of the cameras and the Mavic Air is a fraction softer but handles colours better and noise. I can sharpen it in post. This is why I bought one. I'm trying to get a YouTube channel started as well for my photography so this with it's obstacle avoidance will lend itself well.

Reactions: Deadpool
There'll always be positives and negatives so just go with what works for you.

I've got a P4P but it's too bit and clunky for me to carry up hills etc especially with proper walking kit and my camera and tripod as well as other things. So I begun looking at getting a Spark because it was so small and portable but the flight time and specs of the camera didn't work for me because I want to film in 2.7k and/or 4k. I had the Mavic Pro before for a couple of weeks and didn't rate the camera highly etc due to all the camera issues it had so I didn't want to go back there. Then the announcement of the Mavic Air happened and it had everything I wanted plus more. Yeah the cameras very similar to the Mavic Pro but I'm hopeful that they sorted the issues. I've also seen comparisons of the cameras and the Mavic Air is a fraction softer but handles colours better and noise. I can sharpen it in post. This is why I bought one. I'm trying to get a YouTube channel started as well for my photography so this with it's obstacle avoidance will lend itself well.

I've dabbled in photography for years now and like to think I know what I'm talking about.

When I first got the Mavic I was so excited but like you, quickly fell out of love with it due to the camera quality.

I think I'm going to hold off for the Mavic Pro II

I keep fighting being drawn into the hype. I am in between drones right now, as I sold my old P2 last summer and just have been waiting for the right new drone, something more compact than a Phantom series. I have decided that I am going to wait 3-4 weeks after people get the Air in hand and start reporting back real world info. That is when we will really see if the Air is all that they are claiming it to be.

Reactions: Smalls
I bought the Mavic Pro early last year. I use it only for when I travel. I thought it would be small enough, but I had issues with having it in my backpack (I bring photography gear with me as well) and was always wishing it was just alittle bit smaller. The Mavic Air seems to be exactly I was looking for in terms of Camera quality with compact size. THAT is why I went with the Air. I will be selling my Pro very soon. I do not have experience with WIFI compared to Radio controllers, but I usually fly in remote areas (D.C./VA isnt very drone friendly).

I keep fighting being drawn into the hype. I am in between drones right now, as I sold my old P2 last summer and just have been waiting for the right new drone, something more compact than a Phantom series. I have decided that I am going to wait 3-4 weeks after people get the Air in hand and start reporting back real world info. That is when we will really see if the Air is all that they are claiming it to be.

Anything you'd specifically like to see? I'm thinking of either doing a video or writing a large thread post about it. I'm awaiting delivery of mine.

I'll be doing:

- JPEG photos.
- DNG photos, unedited and edited.
- Video footage without filters as Polar Pro don't ship for nearly another two weeks.

There has been a lot of hype, but It's been pretty obvious to me what the capabilities of the Air are. First and foremost, this never looked like a Mavic Pro replacement. The slightly better camera and rear facing sensors are about the only real advantage over the MP. These are just evolutionary changes and if you have a MP, not worth downgrading the range and battery life.

The MA is not aimed at MP owners. They are aimed at people like me. My first drone was the P3A and I picked up a Spark last year. I have mostly stopped using the P3A as the slightly better video camera hasn't been enough to outweigh the hassle of lugging it around over the Spark. I have found the Spark to be great for my uses, but I wished for a 4K camera. The range and battery life have been not a problem for me. The Air appears to fill my needs perfectly. It has the compactness of the Spark and the 4K of the MP with longer battery life and range over the Spark for a couple hundred less than the MP.

@Yosh - that would be great. I was looking at the Mavic last year as a photo platform. Weight/size is paramount for me as I'm already carrying 25# of gear. But the actual quality (noise mostly) of the photos was enough for me to not invest. The Air meets the size and weight but the jury is still out on photo quality. So anybody testing it out would be awesome :D

Reactions: YoshiK1
Anything you'd specifically like to see? I'm thinking of either doing a video or writing a large thread post about it. I'm awaiting delivery of mine.

I'll be doing:

- JPEG photos.
- Video footage without filters as Polar Pro don't ship for nearly another two weeks.

Just general overall everything. I love the looks of the Air, the size, the compact size when folded. I really like the specs on the camera and how it is protected by the housing. The biggest thing now is how does it perform in the real world in terms of video for real users. And how does it perform in terms of flight. In the real world user's hands will wifi be an issue for example? What are the reasonable ranges in various real world conditions? What are real world flight times? What quirks to real world users stumble upon during use? Stuff like that. I love the specs on the Air for my needs. I personally still feel it is $150 or so over priced, but I am willing to eat the cost part. But until real world pilots get their hands on the Air and fly it for a few weeks, everything we are going on is commercial hype. After 3-4 weeks of real user hands on experience, guys like me who are on the fence can make a more educated decision whether to buy the Air, the tried and true Mavic Pro, wait for the Mav II, or wait for something like an EVO.

I'll be doing:

- JPEG photos.
I am interested in seeing some jpeg files straight out of the camera. Are distant objects sharp? Is horizon curved? Does it suffer the same watercolor effect as the Pro? If you have a Mavic Pro, it would be great to see a side by side comparison of still images.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1