DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sucked in by the hype videos...

I see the MA as Spark 2, nothing to do with MP ..

Don't understand at all, why they put the name of Mavic on it ..??!

Probably because it folds. That is, after all, the unique feature of the Mavic within the DJI range. Phantoms have every other feature and more, spark is small but doesn't fold and the Mavic air is small but does fold. Assuming collapsible legs is the key characteristic of a Mavic as far as DJI are concerned, then it has every right to be a Mavic.

I see the MA as Spark 2, nothing to do with MP ..

Don't understand at all, why they put the name of Mavic on it ..??!

So they can justify the higher price, anyway when the Mavic Pro II is announced in March it will fade away into obscurity.
It should be positioned a prosumer entry point drone.

Good Topic!. It's very tempting to get sucked into the hype. I battle, hourly, any real benefit of a drone (for me). With so many NFZ's, and only getting worse - it will not get better - I question any application I have (of which there are very few) - and if I want to drive, say an hour, to shoot video - and then come home, spend hours editing the video, adding voice, music, ... only to post on YouTube for my family (3) to see once. I don't do this professionally, I'd just do is for fun, but it's not much fun to get hassled when you fly. Yesterday I read about the high pitched noise - which attracts attention. It's all crazy to me, so many reasons to question the purchase FOR ME. I have not bought one yet, but pretty sure I don't want to spend $1000 so I'm looking a used MP's. Some decent deals out there. I'm trying hard to not get sucked in by the Hype. The YouTube videos - all in very open spaces, no one around, who real is that? Not for me. In one video, the guy puts the drone down in the street - a horn honks, he realizes he can't fly in the city - the guy gets on a plane and ends at some remote location. WOW, what a PAIN to fly if that's the case. I laughed. Shows how difficult it is in some cases.

Good Topic!. It's very tempting to get sucked into the hype. I battle, hourly, any real benefit of a drone (for me). With so many NFZ's, and only getting worse - it will not get better - I question any application I have (of which there are very few) - and if I want to drive, say an hour, to shoot video - and then come home, spend hours editing the video, adding voice, music, ... only to post on YouTube for my family (3) to see once. I don't do this professionally, I'd just do is for fun, but it's not much fun to get hassled when you fly. Yesterday I read about the high pitched noise - which attracts attention. It's all crazy to me, so many reasons to question the purchase FOR ME. I have not bought one yet, but pretty sure I don't want to spend $1000 so I'm looking a used MP's. Some decent deals out there. I'm trying hard to not get sucked in by the Hype. The YouTube videos - all in very open spaces, no one around, who real is that? Not for me. In one video, the guy puts the drone down in the street - a horn honks, he realizes he can't fly in the city - the guy gets on a plane and ends at some remote location. WOW, what a PAIN to fly if that's the case. I laughed. Shows how difficult it is in some cases.

Some excellent points in there. Most of which I think about when deciding if I need a drone.

The NFZ's are really coming thick and fast. I watched a YouTube video the other day of a guy in Canada who couldn't fly his drone anywhere near where he lived or risked a $3000 fine. Crazy.

Even my own dad bought himself a Mavic late last year and thought it would be nice to take to Venice, Italy but according to the net, you cannot fly drones in Venice at all. Which is really tragic as there are some breathtaking views there.

Some excellent points in there. Most of which I think about when deciding if I need a drone.

The NFZ's are really coming thick and fast. I watched a YouTube video the other day of a guy in Canada who couldn't fly his drone anywhere near where he lived or risked a $3000 fine. Crazy.

Even my own dad bought himself a Mavic late last year and thought it would be nice to take to Venice, Italy but according to the net, you cannot fly drones in Venice at all. Which is really tragic as there are some breathtaking views there.
This is why I get more and more into FPV drone racing.

I don’t take much notice of the early reviewers. Neistat is OK, but he tends to start off liking a product, and goes about making a video to show all its good points and overlook the negatives. I’ve given up on iJustine. I just can’t understand what she’s saying. It may be her accent, or that she talks way too quickly and skips about unnecessarily. Either way, there’s nothing to learn there. Both are more style over substance.

It’s best to wait for the true enthusiasts to get their drones. 51 Drones, Ready Set Drone and Billy Kyle. They don’t owe allegiance to anyone, and I certainly appreciate what they do.

Reactions: Callum and Deadpool

Drone Film Guide got (bought) theirs and took it for a spin. They are very much interested in the video production side of things and seem mostly impressed with it.

Reactions: Lastrexking
I don’t take much notice of the early reviewers. Neistat is OK, but he tends to start off liking a product, and goes about making a video to show all its good points and overlook the negatives. I’ve given up on iJustine. I just can’t understand what she’s saying. It may be her accent, or that she talks way too quickly and skips about unnecessarily. Either way, there’s nothing to learn there. Both are more style over substance.

It’s best to wait for the true enthusiasts to get their drones. 51 Drones, Ready Set Drone and Billy Kyle. They don’t owe allegiance to anyone, and I certainly appreciate what they do.

ijustine is just the worst when it comes to product reviews. Loves everything, hates nothing. Pointless listening to anything she says.

are you sure? I am going to Italy in October. I lookd at DJI's map and the only areas you can't fly are around airports. Even researching it seems Italy is strict with height and distance flying but it seems pretty open to fly.

are you sure? I am going to Italy in October. I lookd at DJI's map and the only areas you can't fly are around airports. Even researching it seems Italy is strict with height and distance flying but it seems pretty open to fly.

I can't comment on everywhere in Italy but after doing some research online it looks like Venice is very strict. Looks like you need some kind of special permit

I've got my MA and wow it's beautiful! It's about the size of my iPhone 7+. The batteries are on charge as they came flat as a pancake but I'll be looking to get some reviewing done over the next couple of days :).

I would wait until Mavic 2 comes out and then compare it with Autel’s Evo. Youtubers love getting their hands on products. Their videos were already edited and just had to wait for DJI’s keynote on the Mavic Air.

DJI’s Keynote on Mavic Pro sold me. The Mavic Air should have been called Spark Pro, but I guess that would hurt Spark’s sales.

Probably because it folds. That is, after all, the unique feature of the Mavic within the DJI range. Phantoms have every other feature and more, spark is small but doesn't fold and the Mavic air is small but does fold. Assuming collapsible legs is the key characteristic of a Mavic as far as DJI are concerned, then it has every right to be a Mavic.
I agree. I don't understand why so many people are labeling this as the "Spark Pro". All the DJI drone lines are very distinguishable by their form factor. You can tell a Phantom when you see one. The biggest selling point for the Mavic was it's foldability (and wait--the Mavic Air folds). And the Spark is known for being a toy.

The Mavic Air isn't supposed to be better than the Mavic Pro. Just look at their names and price points. Look at Apple's MacBook Air and MacBook Pro lines. It's the same thing here.

You are right, if you've been flying fixed wing you'll get bored really fast. Flying fpv drones is a whole lot more fun. It was more fun during the Phantom 1 and Phantom 2 days. Everything still needed to modded. There was still that build satisfaction. If you're not into making movies or care for aerial family videos, its not worth it.

I wouldn't take any thing "drone film guide" reviewed seriously he don't even know how to orientate his antennas!:Do_O

I agree. I don't understand why so many people are labeling this as the "Spark Pro". All the DJI drone lines are very distinguishable by their form factor. You can tell a Phantom when you see one. The biggest selling point for the Mavic was it's foldability (and wait--the Mavic Air folds). And the Spark is known for being a toy.

The Mavic Air isn't supposed to be better than the Mavic Pro. Just look at their names and price points. Look at Apple's MacBook Air and MacBook Pro lines. It's the same thing here.

But it is better than the Mavic Pro. No camera issues (at present) and pretty much the same quality. Smaller, lighter, cheaper, faster, better looking, better ESCs. The only pros the Mavic Pro has going for it is that it can fly further with Octusync but 1.5miles on 5.8Ghz on the Mavic Air is more then plenty as it far surpasses the guidelines of flying the drone in the first place. It's a Mavic Pro killer. The Mavic Pro 2 will be a Mavic Air killer if you want to spend the extra cash and are stuck with choosing between both of them.

That might be stretching it too much...

Then why is the Mavic Pro showing signs of being heavily discounted (Costco) already? There will be some, of course, but there can't be many people out there that who don't have a Mavic drone and will purchase the MP/MPP in place of the Air. Like I said in another post, not many MP/MPP owners will change to the Air as that's mostly a disregard for money. However, with a clean slate the Air will simply hammer MP/MPP sales.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer