DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sudden Disconnection without RTH - Can anyone tell me what happened?

As there is no signs of pilot error, it must be malfunctioning of the craft. This is not the first time such kind of incidents is seen. If it's still under warranty, I would suggest filing a claim to DJI.

I wondered if I had pushed both sticks together ...
but that wouldn't have killed the connection as battery would be still active & I would been warned motors stopped & I could have restarted... surely
That's not how it works.
CSC shuts everything off.
No power, no signal.
Plus you would see it in your joystick inputs and it's not showing.

I am not suggesting the location had anything to do with the loss of the drone but I am questioning whether the flight should have been flown at all.

What do you mean by "unlocked"? I have seen mention of that in posts in here but get the impression it relates to DJI, which does seem odd to me.
So, to avoid doubt, who did you contact to "unlock" the flight?
If air traffic control than my concerns are groundless.

The two
"Current RTH route will pass a no-fly zone. Pay attention to the aircraft's position to avoid RTH failure."

messages started it, then a quick skim through NZ regs all mention staying more than 4km away from airports.

states
"Stay 4km’s away from all aerodromes - unless you’ve got clearance from the aerodrome operator. See Aerodromes section for other conditions."
and the aerodrome section begins
"Under Part 101 Gyrogliders and Parasails, Unmanned Aircraft (including Balloons), Kites, and Rockets - Operating Rules, you must get an agreement from the aerodrome operator before flying your unmanned aircraft within 4 km of their aerodrome. This includes the helipads at hospitals, and also those used by helicopters conducting scenic flights.

Contact details for aerodrome operators can be found on the AirShare website."

There is a NZ CAA publication fly-the-right-way which states

"Know the no-fly zones It’s dangerous to fly drones anywhere other aircraft are operating. • Stay 4 km away from any airport – including helipads at hospitals and those used by sight-seeing aircraft.• Be aware that controlled airspace around airports extends well beyond the 4km limit – you must have clearance from Air Traffic Control to operate in that area.• "
The airport is actually behind huge hills & absolutely no danger whatsoever as planes nowhere near where I flew...

However, if I hadn't flown near there anyway, I'd still have my drone so... yeah.

No .. His battery was in perfect shape.
From all this and noting the failure happened as I was maneuvering the drone, I am thinking now that maybe the battery was not clicked in properly & flicked out with the sudden direction change

In short, 1/ I was so focussed on getting the Ferry shot I may have neglected to ensure the battery was secure
and 2/ - I was too gung-ho during maneuvering and flicked it out.

I have to face up to it being likely Pilot Error & learn for next time.

The airport is actually behind huge hills & absolutely no danger whatsoever as planes nowhere near where I flew...

However, if I hadn't flown near there anyway, I'd still have my drone so... yeah.
I think if a plane was flying in Breaker Bay it would have missed the runway and be in big trouble.
The hill between you and the airport would stop any fly away.
That is not the problem, the AC going down is the problem.

I think if a plane was flying in Breaker Bay it would have missed the runway and be in big trouble.
The hill between you and the airport would stop any fly away.
That is not the problem, the AC going down is the problem.
Yeah - Exactly, but I still shouldn't have though - look at the big karma dump I copped as I now look at the empty space where my Mavic 2 pro used to sit between missions.

My second time over the ocean within hundreds of hours of flying was my first drone's last

i will be more careful with my next one.

Reactions: TommyP
As there is no signs of pilot error, it must be malfunctioning of the craft. This is not the first time such kind of incidents is seen. If it's still under warranty, I would suggest filing a claim to DJI.
I'm out of warranty but I did have a warranty repair a couple months back where one of the things they were supposed to fix was a problem with the craft losing connection occasionally & that repair was rewarranted for 3 months....

However i flew near an airport with only DJI unlock of restricted zone & that may void my chances of a replacement in this instance

My second time over the ocean within hundreds of hours of flying was my first drone's last

i will be more careful with my next one.
From the regs. You can fly where you were flying.

If you are relying on a shielded operation to fly your unmanned aircraft within 4 km of an aerodrome, then in addition to remaining within 100 metres of, and below the height of the object providing the shield, there must also be a physical barrier like a building or stand of trees between your unmanned aircraft and the aerodrome. This barrier must be capable of stopping your aircraft in the event of a fly-away.

... I am thinking now that maybe the battery was not clicked in properly & flicked out with the sudden direction change
Don't think it wasn't clicked in properly at take off ... but we have earlier seen several cases where M2's have suffered from a sudden battery swelling (more than other crafts) when put under max load. You pinned both the Aileron & the Elevator stick just after a full ascent, that generated a high amp draw & alot of heat ... that probably made your battery swell enough for it to be dislodged.

From the regs. You can fly where you were flying.

If you are relying on a shielded operation to fly your unmanned aircraft within 4 km of an aerodrome, then in addition to remaining within 100 metres of, and below the height of the object providing the shield, there must also be a physical barrier like a building or stand of trees between your unmanned aircraft and the aerodrome. This barrier must be capable of stopping your aircraft in the event of a fly-away.
The big hills between the runway trajectory & Breaker Bay defo accomplished being the physical barrier

Don't think it wasn't clicked in properly at take off ... but we have earlier seen several cases where M2's have suffered from a sudden battery swelling (more than other crafts) when put under max load. You pinned both the Aileron & the Elevator stick just after a full ascent, that generated a high amp draw & alot of heat ... that probably made your battery swell enough for it to be dislodged.
That would be some sudden swelling

That would be some sudden swelling
Have seen it in dozens of cases involving M2's ... so unfortunately not uncommon at all. Try searching for it in this forum & you will be surprised ...

Looks to be outside any restricted zone, so what would be the issue?
I actually don’t but see how launching 2km from a major airport is not breaching Sms restricted airspace rules and laws! The issue is what if the Rene went rouge during the flight suddenly climbed and away from the operator and flew into the path of an approaching passenger jet?

Please correct me it I am wrong but isn't a requirement of "shielding" that the drone stays within 100m of the shield? As per
found on
Undoubtedly the hills etc. behind the coast constitute a barrier but, given that by 35 sec this flight was at 222ft above the take off point. I would bet that this flight was above any shield local to take off and quickly beyond 'shield' range limit provided by those hills.

To be honest I am impressed by how common sense the NZ CAA approach is, I haven't seen mention of any other country implementing the shield concept, and NZ CAA seem to make very useful videos.

Had a sudden loss of connection here in NZ as well (with Mavic Mini)

Was flying over beach (with booster antenna attached to remote control) and suddenly lost signal.
Panicked and I tried pointing controller in direction of craft but still didn't get any signal.

Battery at this time was 18% and continued dropping as craft attempted to return to home. Never saw it approach me and battery continued dropping until craft was signaling a forced landing.

Craft showed 'unstable ground' beneath it when it was trying to land and by this time battery was almost at 0%.

Combed the beach area with my partner but never found the drone again. Very strange how it happened as I would sometimes lose signal but it always recovered. However in this case It never recovered signal no matter what I did.

I lost the drone at Mairangi Bay in Auckland.

*I don't mind getting another drone (Mavic Mini 2) but very afraid of this happening again with the Mavic Mini 2. I know it has better tech in Ocusync 2.0 but how reliable are connections on Ocusync?
Is there any sort of videos that I can watch to teach me on ways to recover from these situations in future? Like any emergency maneuvers I can follow or tips on recovering lost connections?*

If you saw the battery level dropping whilst "dsiconnected" you were not disconnected from the drone, that information comes FROM the drone, as does 'unstable ground'.
You may have lost video feed but I think you still had control.

If you are on a pre 1.2.....something version of the FLY app then it might be worth starting your own thread and posting there the .txt flight log and, if you have it, the DAT flight log for the flight.

To retrieve the logs see either or both DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help

Had a sudden loss of connection here in NZ as well (with Mavic Mini)

Was flying over beach (with booster antenna attached to remote control) and suddenly lost signal.
Panicked and I tried pointing controller in direction of craft but still didn't get any signal.

Battery at this time was 18% and continued dropping as craft attempted to return to home. Never saw it approach me and battery continued dropping until craft was signaling a forced landing.
You still had control of the AC to receive the notifications on battery power.
Sounds like you only lost the video feed.

There is a Forum on here Mavic Crash & Flyaway Assistance which may help you.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman