DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Suggestion on a drone for my father for Christmas.

JohnDS,
This package will match all your requests for the perfect Christmas gift for your father. The drone has the best GPS known to man, returns home when fuel is running low, has very long distance capabilities, Hi Def video / camera, goggles, unlimited ‘SUPER’ fuel for quick landings and takeoffs, and like most of us droners…you can give it a name. CAUTION ⚠️ DO NOT LOOK UP AT DRONE WHEN ACCENDING OR DECENDING! The latter caution involves wearing your supplied PPE (goggles)

Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS 🎄

🇨🇦👍

Attachments

• IMG_7336.jpeg
    IMG_7336.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0697.jpeg
    IMG_0697.jpeg
    176.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0699.jpeg
    IMG_0699.jpeg
    562.9 KB · Views: 9
You will probably be best served with a Mini 3. I would get it with the RC-N1. No need for a high dollar screen. If your father really gets hooked, THEN upgrade. No need to spend more than necessary, if he doesn't take to it.

Reactions: Dbez1 and FLDave
Not knowing where your dad is or will be flying, check to see if you can find any local drone pilots for that area. Many are helpful and would probably be glad to show you their system, how they are setup and the ease of use. They may even have one of the suggested models above so you can see first hand what you are getting. Look at the top of this page in the Members section, it has a locator. If you find a pilot in yours or your dads area, send them a msg and see if they can help with your questions. Again, that person may have one of the above suggested models.

When you do get a drone for your father, please let him know there are rules for flying a drone and point him to the FAA web site to read up on them. And give him a link to this group where he will find a wealth of information and assistance.

Good Luck and a Merry Christmas to you both!

Reactions: Dbez1
Honestly guys, I'm still a little confused on whether to get the (DJI RC N-2) or the (DJI RC 2). Am I making that much of a mistake if I dont get him the Tripltek?

Maybe I'm not understanding what pieces I need for certain things. For instance, i was watching the video and it looks to me like you can have this thing follow you and take pictures and videos of you. Can that be accomplished with the RC N-2 or RC 2? Or do yiu need the Tripltek do do things like that? I'm sure he would live that feature for when he goes on the boat.
Assuming you get him the Fly More Combo (DJI RC-N2) he will need to use his Galaxy S23 which has a very capable processing unit and a bright screen (probably just as bright if not brighter than the Tripltek) assuming he has one of the high end models.
If you get get him Fly More Combo (DJI RC 2) he won't need the cellphone because this controller already has a builtin screen. If you're father is newbie to drones, I would highly recommend this package because it reduces problems with cable connections.
What your father can do with the drone is not dependent on the controller other than not being able to install/use third party apps. But for a newbie it probably doesn't matter much.
If you are hell bent on getting an external display like Tripltek, check these out instead. It's half the price of the Tripltek and twice as bright if you get the Pro version.

As mobilehomer said above, it might be wise to pick up a refurbished mini 2, mini 3, or better yet an Air2S Fly More Combo to see if your dad really gets into the hobby. I have two friends that got a Mini2 and Air2 respectively and neither one developed much of an interest, no matter how much I encouraged them. Regarding a DJI refurbished unit, they come packaged exactly the same, carry the same warranty, are cosmetically flawless, and save $. I have ALWAYS bought my drones refurbished. Best wishes.

Reactions: mobilehomer
here on this page the topic before you the gentle has two mavic 2 pros he is almost giving away , I would buy from him he has been here a long while

Hello all. I'm looking to get my father a drone for Christmas. I am not familiar with which drones are better than others so I'm hoping you guys can help me narrow it down to meet or exceed the preferences below.

My father likes to explore so I assume speed is not a top priority. What I think would be more important to him is:

- Goggles to see as you're flying around.
- Long distance range
- Long battery life
- Fast charging
- GPS capabilities so if the drone runs out of battery in flight and/or loses signal, it can return by itself without losing it.
- Recording capabilities to watch past flights.
Hello. It’s REALLY going to depend on how much you want to spend. I have 3 DJI drones of different prices. If you just want to test the waters and see if he likes it, I’d recommend a Mini 2. Of course you can go higher up the price range with a Mini 3 or 4 but IMO, for just staring out, I’d pick the Mini 2.
For a more “immersive “ feeling of flight or “Birds Eye view”, you’d need a more expensive drone that accepts goggles. And then you also have to decide WHICH goggles to buy. DJI has 3 models, and not all of them work with all their drones. So, it can run up a bill quickly.
My opinion, for an overall starter drone, Mini 2 or Mini 2 SE, he can always move up from there.
Good luck and Happy Holidays.

I have found new pilots love the intuitive nature of the motion controller with the DJI FPV and Googles V2 and you have a beginner friendly fun drone for responsible adults. The learning curve is almost nonexistent with the MC. The FPV can zip around fast or slow and is great for the feeling of flight. People will say it’s fragile, but your dad probably would not be shooting gaps after a dive, so it will be a good drone for what you described.

I have found new pilots love the intuitive nature of the motion controller with the DJI FPV and Googles V2 and you have a beginner friendly fun drone for responsible adults. The learning curve is almost nonexistent with the MC. The FPV can zip around fast or slow and is great for the feeling of flight. People will say it’s fragile, but your dad probably would not be shooting gaps after a dive, so it will be a good drone for what you described.
Not to get too off topic but, I totally agree, and LOVE the motion controller.

@JohnDS Did you ever decide on one? New user here with a used Air 2S. I admit, it's confusing as DJI released 26 consumer models in the past 8 years. Why so many?

Thanks. That looks like it will do. I see the Air 3 DJI RC2 combo. I believe thats the one with 2 extra batteries and the Remote control with the screen built in. Is having the screen built into the remote itself as opposed to using your smartphone worth the extra cost?

Any other accessories that are a must have now or should this kit do?
That's the one I got. I do like having the screen built in to the controller, and I bought a sunshade to help in sunny conditions. I also, with he help of this forum, bought cables to allow me to attach my iPad while I am flying to let myself or others see what I see on the controller when I am flying.

Reactions: SWTSU
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne