DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Suggestions for Landing Pad Weights

Chrislaf

Reactions
I have one of those circular landing pads that you twist to fold up and you usually stake down with 3 stakes, but now that winter is upon us and the ground is frozen, staking it down doesn't work anymore. Before I get the suggestions to hand launch and catch my drones - yes I do often hand launch and catch in warmer weather but now that the temperatures have dropped it is not practical. Yesterday, it was -5ºC and calm out (I often fly in colder weather and in breezier conditions) and my hands got cold pretty quickly.

I have thought of large fishing sinkers and if so what weight to use, but was wondering if there are any other suggestions from the forum. I am trying to keep things as portable as possible as I often hike, ski, or snowshoe to flying locations.

Thanks,

Chris

I have one of those circular landing pads that you twist to fold up and you usually stake down with 3 stakes, but now that winter is upon us and the ground is frozen, staking it down doesn't work anymore. Before I get the suggestions to hand launch and catch my drones - yes I do often hand launch and catch in warmer weather but now that the temperatures have dropped it is not practical. Yesterday, it was -5ºC and calm out (I often fly in colder weather and in breezier conditions) and my hands got cold pretty quickly.

I have thought of large fishing sinkers and if so what weight to use, but was wondering if there are any other suggestions from the forum. I am trying to keep things as portable as possible as I often hike, ski, or snowshoe to flying locations.

Thanks,

Chris
I use old weighing scales weights three of them, cheers Len

I use old weighing scales weights three of them, cheers Len
Thanks for your reply Len.
Are they commercially available like on Amazon or at a local hardware store? Don't have any lying around at home.

Chris

I use some 3 oz fishing weights. One tied to each loop on the landing pad. All I have to do is flip the pad open and toss it where I want it to be. It is not affected by wind up to 18 mph.

Reactions: jephoto and dozzn
I use some 3 oz fishing weights. One tied to each loop on the landing pad. All I have to do is flip the pad open and toss it where I want it to be. It is not affected by wind up to 18 mph.
Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking of fishing weights too but was wondering about the weight to use as sometimes I am out on the local lake when it freezes up and it can be pretty windy out in the open so wouldn't want the pad to be blowing around especially during takeoff or landing. A 3 oz weight would be about 85g so that seems pretty good. What are your weights made of - lead or steel?

Chris

Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking of fishing weights too but was wondering about the weight to use as sometimes I am out on the local lake when it freezes up and it can be pretty windy out in the open so wouldn't want the pad to be blowing around especially during takeoff or landing. A 3 oz weight would be about 85g so that seems pretty good. What are your weights made of - lead or steel?

Chris
The ones I use are made of lead, but steel should work just as well.

Reactions: Chrislaf
Thanks for your reply Len.
Are they commercially available like on Amazon or at a local hardware store? Don't have any lying around at home.

Chris
I’m 81 so had them at home with an old set of scales, but 3 heavy spanner’s will also do the job, cheers Len

Reactions: Chrislaf
How about a couple of these?
One on either side of the landing pad should do the trick.
That’s actually a neat idea and I like it because it’s environmentally friendly but they are not compact so carrying them to a location I might hike, ski or snowshoe to would probably be cumbersome. Too bad smaller ones weren’t available. Thanks for the idea. I’m going to think on it.

Chris

Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
I just pack some snow around the pad and it works.
That would work on a calm day but if there is any sort of wind then the snow will blow onto the drone during setup. This is not as much of an issue now that I have the RC Pro and setup is much quicker.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Chris

That’s actually a neat idea and I like it because it’s environmentally friendly but they are not compact so carrying them to a location I might hike, ski or snowshoe to would probably be cumbersome. Too bad smaller ones weren’t available. Thanks for the idea. I’m going to think on it.

Chris
How about a few old socks part filled with sand, or fill them with some stones at takeoff point, cheers Len

Reactions: Hertzdonut

Thanks,

Chris
Hey Chris,
I had the same problem so I found some metal 1 lb dumbbell weights that work perfectly. Since they are metal, their profile is pretty flat and there is more than enough room between the weight and the props, even the mavic mini’s props. There is no worry about anything being damaged by the weights .
Cheers,
Rex

you could try these:

fishing weights

that's a 5 pack of 5 oz. weights. 3 weights would be about a pound and they have square sides so they won't roll

in the drop-down menu you can get up to 8 oz per weight although half a pound seems a little excessive. I'd thing if that pad is on the ground with a pound of ballast on top and the wind was strong enough to blow it away you probably wouldn't fly anyway

The ones I use are made of lead, but steel should work just as well.
No .... steel is not a good idea at all.
You don't want to have a large lump of iron or steel so close to the drone's compass when you power up.
That's a recipe for giving your drone a yaw error that could end very badly.

Thanks all for the great ideas. I decided to go with lead sinkers as I want something quick and easy to attach and carry for hiking. Here’s what I went with. They do have some steal in the ring but hopefully it is not enough to affect the compass. I will check at home first before going out. The circular pad has a steel ring and it doesn’t seem to affect the compass so hopefully I’ll be ok.

6010C6A5-E70B-4D9A-BADA-8E6A524AD959.jpeg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne