DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

[SUGGESTIONS] House In The Woods

monxster

Reactions
Hey guys,

Had the drone for a little over three weeks now and this is what I was able to film whilst experimenting with my girlfriend over the weekend. It's my second ever video and my first time editing using PC software (Premiere). Any tips on how to improve? How can I smooth the motion in the close up panning shot across the front door of the house? I tried something called warp stabilizer but that just made things even more choppy. Any suggestions?

Any and all critiques welcome.

I think it looks terrific. My wife and I are building a small cabin in the woods and I would love to make a video like that.

Thank you for your kind comments. We built the house ourselves. Cut all the timber in the workshop and then assembled on site. I only wish I had a drone or camera back then so I could have done some timelapses of the process.

Awesome place, Nice video. The only thing it seemed like i was constantly blinking my eyes. I am not sure how to say it otherwise.

Hahaha watching it again I see what you mean! I just watched it again without those dip to black transitions and I get the same vibe. Do you think that is because of the clip length or what can I do to make it smoother and less sleepy?

Nice place to get away from modern life :)
Well, drones are modern, but ok, ha ha.

It may be shutter speed needs to be controlled more.
You don't mention what drone you have (could be tucked away in YT comments) but try and get your shutter speed close to roughly double the frame rate you're shooting at (eg 24fps, aim for shutter 1/50th sec), either by using camera settings (for that try setting iso at 100 or max 200), or by use of ND filters.

It could be you were just going a bit fast on the roll shot across the front of the cottage, that could have been slowed down quite a bit as it was close to the subject.

A note is to watch flying under that driveway canopy ans similar places like that, you would easily lose GPS strength and cause some drifting . . . I would walk it through there filming, as it would be the same sort of shot.

Good going and hope you find some more time to experiment with the new drone.

Very nice! You could make some good money producing real estate videos that start like that. So you milled your own lumber? That’s great! I’ve always wanted to do that, but cactus and sage don’t make for very good timber out here in the desert! :)

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Had the drone for a little over three weeks now and this is what I was able to film whilst experimenting with my girlfriend over the weekend. It's my second ever video and my first time editing using PC software (Premiere). Any tips on how to improve? How can I smooth the motion in the close up panning shot across the front door of the house? I tried something called warp stabilizer but that just made things even more choppy. Any suggestions?

Nice and smooth! Good editing![emoji1474][emoji16] Thumbswayup

Reactions: monxster
Awesome footage love the house and the scenery. Did you use active track while filming the paths? What height worked best for that shot? Great job!!

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
Transitions are a bit too fast. Would edit it to make it a story by starting out, girl walking and in background house is shown, switch to views of roof, come back down to ground level, show walking to house, entering into house, and then end with standing in doorway. or end from within house and show girl entering . that way you could show some inside and end it there. my 2 cents worth

Not sure maybe a switch up of transitions?. Definitely a beautiful place. That is for sure.

I tried a cross fade transition and it was still quite choppy, I think it is more because the clips are too short like spider said. Going to play around a bit with the editing to see. I had read somewhere that all clips should be around 4 seconds max before changing to another to keep people engaged but I guess that was not true.

It may be shutter speed needs to be controlled more.
You don't mention what drone you have (could be tucked away in YT comments) but try and get your shutter speed close to roughly double the frame rate you're shooting at (eg 24fps, aim for shutter 1/50th sec), either by using camera settings (for that try setting iso at 100 or max 200), or by use of ND filters.
It could be you were just going a bit fast on the roll shot across the front of the cottage, that could have been slowed down quite a bit as it was close to the subject.
A note is to watch flying under that driveway canopy ans similar places like that, you would easily lose GPS strength and cause some drifting . . . I would walk it through there filming, as it would be the same sort of shot.
Good going and hope you find some more time to experiment with the new drone.

Thanks for the input mate. I have the Mavic Pro. I was shooting in manual and had added a ND16 filter which a friend gifted me but the slowest I could get the shutter speed to was 1/1250 with ISO 100 with a reading of 0 on the EV thingy. Could that be why it stuttered? How do you guys all get to shoot 1/50 - 1/60 do you have much darker filters?

Top tip about walking the drone for the shots with overhead cover, I had not thought of that! Do I have to hold it in any way or does it not matter?

Awesome footage love the house and the scenery. Did you use active track while filming the paths? What height worked best for that shot? Great job!!

I originally tried active track for the driveway but the drone was drifting left and right quite a lot so in the end I just put it in tripod mode and controlled it manually like all the other shots. In most of the shots I was at a height of 1 - 1.5 metres (3 - 4.5 feet). I tried a lower shot that I did not include but it looked way too close to the ground.

Hey guys,

That was really great for 3 weeks I hope I can come close to that in 3 weeks with my mav pro. Great job, Beautiful shooting. Great angle's

Agree that the transitions are annoying after a while. They seem like they are fade to black (it may be a default transition in your editing software). Try plain cuts and if cross fades or fade to black are used the transition will need to be longer, say 2 seconds. This means that your clip will have to be extended as the transition generally (a user option) will use some of your clip time, that is a 5 sec clip with a 2 second cross fade, will now become a 4 second clip with 1 second from this and 1 sec from the next clip being used for the transition.

Thanks for the input mate. I have the Mavic Pro. I was shooting in manual and had added a ND16 filter which a friend gifted me but the slowest I could get the shutter speed to was 1/1250 with ISO 100 with a reading of 0 on the EV thingy. Could that be why it stuttered? How do you guys all get to shoot 1/50 - 1/60 do you have much darker filters?

Top tip about walking the drone for the shots with overhead cover, I had not thought of that! Do I have to hold it in any way or does it not matter?

I originally tried active track for the driveway but the drone was drifting left and right quite a lot so in the end I just put it in tripod mode and controlled it manually like all the other shots. In most of the shots I was at a height of 1 - 1.5 metres (3 - 4.5 feet). I tried a lower shot that I did not include but it looked way too close to the ground.

You're welcome . . . and love my Mavic Pro too :)
I also have the Aussie model of Ford Ranger you have, get out in that to some great places here.

While iso 100 is good if you can manage it, you could try iso at 200, that will help immensely.
Shutter certainly could be why it looks a bit weird to the eye, that cinematic perception of blur is fairly important in filming.
I am really only an amateur myself with experimenting, editing, and getting the best out of my filters.

Going to take advice I picked up on another filters thread, and test before take off, holding drone towards general light, settings as preferred, hold drone up and filter in front, watch histogram and try various ND to get nice and centred, then check shutter etc.
I think after a while you will just have enough of a feel for light and conditions to fit the best one for checking.

If you only have the ND16 for now, try a test next flight with iso on 100, switch to 200 and see what shutter does.

I saw that drift the the right on the walk in, just before you transitioned, thought that was getting dodgy.

Yes, the smoothness of filming hand held is awesome, honestly you wouldn't even know you were walking along the gimbal is that good.
It looks like you're filming in flight, really . . . have seen videos of people jogging with the MP hand held, it's very stable.

Just turned on, folded up is ok, set up as normal in settings etc, use controller or device to operate camera to take pics or video.
You can hold any way that's comfortable, in those spots you can even consider one day getting an osmo type of phone gimbal, or the osmo pocket camera, and use those to integrate with drone footage.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots