DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sunrise over the Sussex landscape - a quick one-battery video I sneaked in before work

Django18

Reactions
I was supposed to be at the gym, but I noticed the sunrise looked promising and it was the first morning in over three weeks when it hadn't been raining solidly!!! So I bunked off the gym and nipped out for a quick fly before starting work instead.

This is only my second ever video so I know some of the scenes are probably a bit too long and I should probably have gone for a few lower shots or looking down, but I only had time for one battery so was in a bit of a rush and it was early so my brain wasn't warmed up yet...

I'm enjoying learning though!

I was supposed to be at the gym, but I noticed the sunrise looked promising and it was the first morning in over three weeks when it hadn't been raining solidly!!! So I bunked off the gym and nipped out for a quick fly before starting work instead.

This is only my second ever video so I know some of the scenes are probably a bit too long and I should probably have gone for a few lower shots or looking down, but I only had time for one battery so was in a bit of a rush and it was early so my brain wasn't warmed up yet...

I'm enjoying learning though!

This was a very enjoyable video to watch as I sit here with my morning coffee going over the daily Forum. Yes, a bit long on some scenes, and a bit high, but nice smooth, slow, controlled flying, and of course, pleasing music track. Thumbs up.

The light was pure Rembrandt -captivating. There's a clip early on going over the power lines that breaks that spell due to lighting mismatch. Maybe snip that clip? The other power line shots also seem to clash with the bucolic aesthetic. My PERSONAL preference is to occasionally add some short beauty shots, perhaps even at or near ground level, and with less movement. That contrast can enliven the aerial motion shots. But that's just one opinion. Magical landscape & light!

The light was pure Rembrandt -captivating. There's a clip early on going over the power lines that breaks that spell due to lighting mismatch. Maybe snip that clip? The other power line shots also seem to clash with the bucolic aesthetic. My PERSONAL preference is to occasionally add some short beauty shots, perhaps even at or near ground level, and with less movement. That contrast can enliven the aerial motion shots. But that's just one opinion. Magical landscape & light!
Yes- I agree the timelessness of the beautiful countryside is marred a bit by the power lines. Snip that part out.

Thank you everyone for your feedback. Some good advice there. The power lines were my attempt to give some variety and go a bit lower but with hindsight I think I agree - it jars slightly with the rest. As the best views were quite a distance from me I was a little nervous about signal strength if going too low for some closer shots with so many trees between me and the drone. Probably all unfounded - I need to learn to trust it more...

I doubt the lens hood is likely to make any difference. Lens flare is used in about 80% of TV commercials (organic and otherwise). Find an angle that works to your advantage. Add lens flare effects in post to complement the organic, a common cheat. My mantra is... if the footage comes out bad, mess it up some more to look intentional.

I like the long scenes, particularly for sunrise and sunset. It better fits the mood. Who rushes around at sunrise/sunset?A lot of my filming is in 3-4 minute segments. You can easily edit it into short cuts of multiple scenes in post. It’s a reductive process. Just focus on flying and filming and practicing cinematic moves. When in doubt, just fly straight and use the gimbal to create drama.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gottawonder