DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Sunset landscapes (Air 2s)

Stunning shots! I assume they were taken in RAW format; any edits? I have the drone but not the terrain - where is it?
Thank you :) Yes those are edited RAW files. My editing process is quite simple, using some dodging and burning and split toning and I usually make my photos quite dark. The first one is a vertical panorama stitched in photoshop. They were all taken in Austria.

Reactions: MARK (LI) and ATW
Stunning shots! I assume they were taken in RAW format; any edits? I have the drone but not the terrain - where is it?
They are all stunning shots. I understand you like to make your shots a little dark, as you mentioned. However, all of these images suffer the same dynamic range problems when the sky overtakes the exposure, darkening the foreground. For these images, which are always the same problem, I take the image into Adobe Camera Raw and use the gradient filter to open the foreground. Here is an example before and after. Edited to open foreground.jpgScreen Shot 2021-04-27 at 8.43.33 AM.png

Reactions: ATW
Nice dramatic photos. Well done, though I too think that some are a tad-bit too dark.

Scenery around here isn't quite so dramatic. I guess that's what a few billion years of wear due to repeated glaciation and erosion will do to mountains.

Beautiful shots! I too prefer them a bit lighter but that. Is a matter of personal preference.

Thanks for posting them. I have been considering an upgrade to the A2S but the lack of an adjustable aperture has been one of my hold-backs. Also, my access to scenic areas is by travelling, so there is no hurry considering the pandemic is still ragging.

Chris

They are all stunning shots. I understand you like to make your shots a little dark, as you mentioned. However, all of these images suffer the same dynamic range problems when the sky overtakes the exposure, darkening the foreground. For these images, which are always the same problem, I take the image into Adobe Camera Raw and use the gradient filter to open the foreground. Here is an example before and after. View attachment 128134View attachment 128135

In doing so you change where the Eye Focuses dramatically , the idea of the Dark Photos is to push the Focus on the Star of show , in this case its the Mountain tops ,

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your DJI drones in the Rain and the Land on the Waves.

Reactions: Ty Pilot and ATW
In doing so you change where the Eye Focuses dramatically , the idea of the Dark Photos is to push the Focus on the Star of show , in this case its the Mountain tops ,

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your DJI drones in the Rain and the Land on the Waves.
I do not agree. A good subject like the mountaintops, well exposed, will still come through to the observer. Your observation would obviate all of the HDR programs that have been developed for this exact reason- e.g.: bracketing and capturing the correct exposure for each part of the image. I am not buying into the under-exposure. Saying you like dark pictures does not forgive an under-exposed picture.

Let's see if this analogy works.

As a boycott leader over many years ago, I had to test my young scouts on cooking merit badge. They always burned the food, but then said "I like it that way!!!"

If you do not agree, let's just say, we will agree not to agree.

I do not agree. A good subject like the mountaintops, well exposed, will still come through to the observer. Your observation would obviate all of the HDR programs that have been developed for this exact reason- e.g.: bracketing and capturing the correct exposure for each part of the image. I am not buying into the under-exposure. Saying you like dark pictures does not forgive an under-exposed picture.

Let's see if this analogy works.

As a boycott leader over many years ago, I had to test my young scouts on cooking merit badge. They always burned the food, but then said "I like it that way!!!"

If you do not agree, let's just say, we will agree not to agree.

Im not saying it does not look better, but that the OP could have easily created that look if he wanted to based on the editing forecast he choose to use.

But we may find out that he does not know what he is doing and therefore your on point. ?️

Im not saying it does not look better, but that the OP could have easily created that look if he wanted to based on the editing forecast he choose to use.

But we may find out that he does not know what he is doing and therefore your on point. ?️
I think the latter-e.g.: he is in a learning stage, which is my point. I gain a lot from this forum in terms of flying a drone (my weakness) , but I think I am able to contribute to this forum with my lifelong study of photography. The nuances of dynamic range, and exposures of difficult subjects like this, are a challenge to us all. I don't think that opening up the muddy, under-exposed foreground detracts in the slightest from the dramatic mountain peaks and dramatic sky. I think seeing details in the shadows enhances this image.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I think the latter-e.g.: he is in a learning stage, which is my point. I gain a lot from this forum in terms of flying a drone (my weakness) , but I think I am able to contribute to this forum with my lifelong study of photography. The nuances of dynamic range, and exposures of difficult subjects like this, are a challenge to us all. I don't think that opening up the muddy, under-exposed foreground detracts in the slightest from the dramatic mountain peaks and dramatic sky. I think seeing details in the shadows enhances this image.

Ahhhh I got thrown from thinking beginner because of this :

" Thank you :) Yes those are edited RAW files. My editing process is quite simple, using some dodging and burning and split toning and I usually make my photos quite dark. The first one is a vertical panorama stitched in photoshop. They were all taken in Austria.

Ahhhh I got thrown from thinking beginner because of this :

" Thank you :) Yes those are edited RAW files. My editing process is quite simple, using some dodging and burning and split toning and I usually make my photos quite dark. The first one is a vertical panorama stitched in photoshop. They were all taken in Austria.
I think we've as much mileage out of this thread as we could. Thanks for your comments.Now on to the next .

Dale

Beautiful!

Wow great photos, I have been flying a mavic pro 1 , and have the air S2 arriving today, looking like a great drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661