DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Pro Sunset with Affinity Photo

Ty Pilot

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I've been working with Adobe for almost 20 years and recently started to find alternatives for both video and photos. I've been using Affinity Photo for stills and it is a very smooth transition coming from Photoshop. Last night I took my Mavic 2 Pro up and did a five shot AEB over my neighborhood at sunset here in Central Florida.

UpLoadHood.png

Hi Ty very good I will give Affinity a go that's quiet stunning

I see so many folks asking about photo editors and alternatives to Photo Shop I just wanted to show what this program can do. The full size image is a massive 32 bit 5472 x 3649 pixels, and exported as a PNG is 70 MB!

I quit Adobe a long time ago when they moved to subscription service and stopped service on existing purchased products. Nasty. I've been with Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher since they made their commercial debut and couldn't be more pleased. They offer professional quality at a ridiculous price and make their money on volume. I have processed all my drone photos with Affinity and couldn't be happier. I also use DaVinci Resolve for my movies and heartily recommend that as well over Adobe. I still use Final Cut Pro once in a while because of their facility with "flying within panoramas."

Reactions: DaveS and Ty Pilot
Yes I like Affinity Photo also. Love the option to work on our 360 spheres in real time. Another one I really like is DxO PhotoLab. I have that running with the DxO Nik collection.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
I've been working with Adobe for almost 20 years and recently started to find alternatives for both video and photos. I've been using Affinity Photo for stills and it is a very smooth transition coming from Photoshop. Last night I took my Mavic 2 Pro up and did a five shot AEB over my neighborhood at sunset here in Central Florida.

View attachment 152935
Do you want any suggestions or criticisms on this ?
I got blow back from another comment that I posted so I am now asking first.

Dale

@Dale D - I started this thread because I see a lot of people asking about photo editing software, and in particular, those that are not Adobe and/or subscription based and expensive. As someone that has used those tools (Adobe) for a long time (20 years), I wanted to confirm that a 70 dollar program - Affinity can do nearly everything that PS a LR can do.

Having said that I know that you have been touting the masking tool to lighten shadows that is in Adobe, and most of your imagery displays your work, and this brings me to my point. . . .

Had I chosen to change the lighting anywhere in that photo, I could easily have done it (without pixelating or creating noise) but; that is all a personal choice - a style - and everyone has, or will develop theirs. Your style and mine are different and I'm okay with that and hope you can be too.

Personally I do not criticize others work unless they specifically ask for criticism or help, and I think it is in very bad taste to take someone else's image and change it unless asked to do so.

However, if you wish to take one of your drones up, and produce a similar image of your neighborhood at sunset, and edit in LR and PS and post a photo here - THEN we can have an open discussion about the particulars of each of our styles and; the finer points about the different editing programs. I think in that context, the discussion could be engaging and thought provoking for us and others as well.

As an aside. I would love to discuss why, my photo is framed as it is, what the elements I am drawing attention to are, what tools I am using to do it, and in general - the thought process behind my final render.

Last edited:
I was going to shoot from another location last night as we had another of those amazing sunsets, but I was lazy and just shot the other side. ;)

Shot1Full2.png

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
I see so many folks asking about photo editors and alternatives to Photo Shop I just wanted to show what this program can do. The full size image is a massive 32 bit 5472 x 3649 pixels, and exported as a PNG is 70 MB!
That's almost Billboard size/quality! By the way, I really like the shot. I have access to Photoshop at work but once I retire and have to pay for my own programs, I will consider Affinity.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
I was going to shoot from another location last night as we had another of those amazing sunsets, but I was lazy and just shot the other side. ;)

View attachment 153017
I understand your comments and that was why I asked if you were seeking any one else's comments. Not everyone is comfortable with photo editing and now, with the acquisition of their drone they are forced to purchase a product and to learn it. As with all editing, there are constant upgrades and improvements in the software, which is why I was so impressed with the major release of the masking tool by Adobe.

I think it would be up to the moderators of this forum to decide if my critiques are proper or rude. Personally, I always welcome comments on anything I submit if you want to check back on my submissions. I love learning new photography techniques, video editing techniques, and that is why I value this forum. If we all just said nice things about submitted works nobody would learn anything. For my own part, I feel compelled to comment on videos that are way too long, repetitive, poorly filmed, jiggled,, etc. When I see sunsets and sunrises that are badly underexposed in the foregrounds, I know that the photographer either did not realize it or did not know how to correct it. After living 84 years, I am not going to be intimidated.

• Sad
Reactions: Jagerbomb52
When I see sunsets and sunrises that are badly underexposed in the foregrounds, I know that the photographer either did not realize it or did not know how to correct it. After living 84 years, I am not going to be intimidated.

Some photographers have made a pretty good living 'underexposing the foregrounds' - one example would be Ansel Adams, below is just two examples of his work but there are many others. That was my point, what you call underexposed foregrounds is your 'opinion' or style. Judging by some very famous images, one could suggest my foregrounds are 'over exposed'.

PHOTOS BY ANSEL ADAMS
AA2.jpg

AA.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure