DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Super Blue Moon Wednesday evening!

The best advice I can give on shooting the moon is to underexpose until you begin to see detail, otherwise you will just have a blob of light. Drone vibration may prevent you from getting really sharp detail.

Reactions: David MacNeill
My first "serious" photography attempt with my new Air3 will be tomorrow evening at moonrise. We live at the end of a cul-de-sac in a leafy suburb at around 2500 ft elevation. Our street points straight East, so I plan to launch from the center of the circle to get above the trees and houses as Luna rises, probably around 50-100 ft. I'd like to get some buildings in the distance to contrast with the super moon, which has the effect of making it look even bigger than it really is. I hope it isn't too windy!

Anybody else ever try to shoot the Moon? Any advice would be most welcome.
I was 'mooned' by a great horned owl once and caught it on camera.... lol

Mooned by a Great Horned Owl.png

Well I went out last night at moonrise, took a couple of shots, and they were as terrible as some here predicted. So I grabbed the Nikon, the long lens, and tripod, set the metering to Spot, and squeezed off a few dozen shots at various zoom levels and different perspectives.

My Mac is disabled today due to new flooring being installed in my studio, so I won’t have a deep look at any of it until Saturday. Sorry for the anticlimax, folks.

Reactions: BigAl07 and Torque
My first "serious" photography attempt with my new Air3 will be tomorrow evening at moonrise. We live at the end of a cul-de-sac in a leafy suburb at around 2500 ft elevation. Our street points straight East, so I plan to launch from the center of the circle to get above the trees and houses as Luna rises, probably around 50-100 ft. I'd like to get some buildings in the distance to contrast with the super moon, which has the effect of making it look even bigger than it really is. I hope it isn't too windy!

Anybody else ever try to shoot the Moon? Any advice would be most welcome.
Just after I got my Mavic 3 Pro I shot the moon just after dawn in May. I was also using the digital zoom I believe. Drone or regular camera, the only way to get detail in the moon is to have the moon rise before sunset. If the sun's light is gone from the sky then the landscape is way to dark compared to that disk reflecting the sun at us. Basically you have to shorten the exposure so the moon isn't blown out but in doing so the ground doesn't reflect enough light so it goes to black...

Attachments

• 20230513_053715.jpg
    20230513_053715.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Reactions: David MacNeill
Using my Air 3 last weekend. 15-20 min after sunset using 70mm zoom, locked ISO at 100 and auto shutter and -2 ev. Still capture some fine detail of the moon - better than most I’ve found.IMG_1111.jpegIMG_1121.jpeg

Reactions: GFields
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne