DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Superglue, good for fixing drones?

Bebopperoo

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hey all,

Recently crashed and broke the one arm of my FPV. Live about 14000km from the nearest DJI, so anyone repairing here is charging a king's ransom.

Although the arm was floppy, the break weakened it in the non load bearing direction, and i was able to reposition it and pour cyanoacrylate glue on the join, with a lot spilling into the arm interior.

I realize this will make any repair almost impossible, but it has held against strong pressure, and i have done over a dozen flights at top speed, including aerobatics.

All seems fine. However, my concern is that cyanoacrylate may degrade over time.

Is this a valid concern, or will it remain bonded indefinitely?

Is there any negative aspect to this simple repair technique?

Reactions: BethanyFerrell
I cannot speak from experience but here are some YouTube Videos that say you can fix your drone with Superglue or Gorilla Glue…

Good Luck and Safe Flying…

broke it.png

Thanks for your reply. Ironically, the engineer did the worst job. Unfortunately, these are all made by my peers (fellow idiots), which still leaves doubt.

When i was looking at helicopters, superglue plus graphite powder was considered essential equipment. My main concern is that it is brittle, and vibration may weaken it.

I am considering coating the join with epoxy, but reluctant to add any weight, and concerned the epoxy may bond to the superglue coating rather than the arm itself.

If you need additional "material" for strength or reinforcement at the crack, you can put some baking soda on the location an then add the CA glue. I have done this many times over the years on different projects with success. Pretty sure that there are youtube videos on how to do it.

Have used superglue to repair a cracked arm on my MPP. That was over 12 months ago, no issues so far.
Regards

Reactions: Bebopperoo
If you need additional "material" for strength or reinforcement at the crack, you can put some baking soda on the location an then add the CA glue. I have done this many times over the years on different projects with success. Pretty sure that there are youtube videos on how to do it.
Thanks, the one video that showed it had the repair fail.

It seems to love the plastic the arm is made of, and has bonded well.

The primary concern though is whether vibration will adversely affect its brittle structure.

An arm here is about $100, but after watching how to do it, realize it is way beyond me (soldering vital components poses a bigger risk than the glue failing, with my limited ability).

I've never used Superglue in a drone but for sure if I need it I'll do it.
If I have to have only one tool in the world that would be the CA glue. I don't know how many things I've fixed with Crazy Glue! The list goes from a pen all the way to a house roof. LOL

It depends on the area, severity of the break, how well the parts fit back together, and how Critical is the component I'm gluing.

If it's an accessory, the parts fit well, and not a huge gap I'll use CYANO (super glue). If it's an item under stress, critical, or one that could bring the aircraft down I would not use CYANO. It can get brittle and isn't well suited for this type of adhesion.

Adding Baking Soda will help with some "Gap Filling" duties and it helps the glue SET immediately.

It's not a Catch All and has limitations but if you understand how/why it works you're better equipped when using it.

One final thought, there are various types of superglue. Some are super thin and will flow into any crack, some are super thick a will not run or drip, and there are superglues that are used to "fill Gaps" where pieces are missing. They also sell "fast setting" and "slow setting" (toooo many choices….).

Google all of them, the simple little tube you can pick up at a grocery store may not be a good choice and you might want to go to a Hobby Store that specializes in adhesives, especially if they sell and support Radio Control Airplanes.

Where I live, those hobby stores do not sell drones that cost more than $50 U.S. (746 South African Rand). But they certainly support the RC Airplanes, so I have many options.

I recommend you do not use an accelerator to speed up the drying, it's not as strong because it set from the outside and may "gap"…

glue.png

Reactions: Bebopperoo
Based on my experience, super glue is best when you want to glue your fingers together. 🤪

As others have noted, super glue tends to be brittle. I have found that it doesn't have staying power.

My preference is Gorilla Glue (the type that is activated by a little moisture) or a two-part epoxy when I want a repair to last.

Based on my experience, super glue is best when you want to glue your fingers together. 🤪

As others have noted, super glue tends to be brittle. I have found that it doesn't have staying power.

My preference is Gorilla Glue (the type that is activated by a little moisture) or a two-part epoxy when I want a repair to last.

I totally agree. I buy 2-part epoxy is large containers online because I like it so much. I think my current bottles are Quart each and I have 5 min, 1hr, and 24hr set times depending on the strength and set times needed.

How much for an arm and a leg?

… Sorry, I'll get me hat.

Oh, and thanks for asking. I've been wondering.
An arm is an arm and a leg, so an arm and a leg is probably a whole body.

Just spent over $100 on glues, resins, epoxies and acrylic fillers, so that next time I'm prepared. (More useful than just buying an arm and leaving it unused because i can't get my head around the task of disassembling, soldering, de-soldering, etc... A.D.D., .. for many many many years).

I used one of the better, non-filling CAs, and so far so good (as the guy falling from a building was heard to say..).

One final thought, there are various types of superglue. Some are super thin and will flow into any crack, some are super thick a will not run or drip, and there are superglues that are used to "fill Gaps" where pieces are missing. They also sell "fast setting" and "slow setting" (toooo many choices….).

Google all of them, the simple little tube you can pick up at a grocery store may not be a good choice and you might want to go to a Hobby Store that specializes in adhesives, especially if they sell and support Radio Control Airplanes.

Where I live, those hobby stores do not sell drones that cost more than $50 U.S. (746 South African Rand). But they certainly support the RC Airplanes, so I have many options.

I recommend you do not use an accelerator to speed up the drying, it's not as strong because it set from the outside and may "gap"…

View attachment 145354

I just saw this YouTube Video and thought of your question about super gluing your Drone. I know it's too late to help you now, but perhaps in the future, perhaps to help others…

https://youtu.be/ataa8paRMUs

The product is Bondic - Liquid Plastic Welder - LED UV Light Activated Bonding Tool, and it's available at a lot of hardware stores as well as Amazon…

https://www.amazon.com/Bondic-Activated-Waterproof-Resistant-Anything/dp/B00QU5M4MG

I've seen numerous demonstrations in person and was impressed, I am sorry I did not think about this previously…

glue.png

Thanks, put one in my cart for next time. Still holding up with just the original coating of superglue. About 40 hours of flying, including a few emergency brakes.
Just waiting for some epoxy to arrive, which I'll use to coat the superglue and hopefully make it more resilient.

Thanks you-all for the input, clearly a 5 dollar glue is a good option to DJI care, and can be used in the field.
Almost makes me feel like an OG fpv pilot.

I just saw this YouTube Video and thought of your question about super gluing your Drone. I know it's too late to help you now, but perhaps in the future, perhaps to help others…

https://youtu.be/ataa8paRMUs

The product is Bondic - Liquid Plastic Welder - LED UV Light Activated Bonding Tool, and it's available at a lot of hardware stores as well as Amazon…

https://www.amazon.com/Bondic-Activated-Waterproof-Resistant-Anything/dp/B00QU5M4MG

I've seen numerous demonstrations in person and was impressed, I am sorry I did not think about this previously…

View attachment 145779

That product has a LOT of great uses but I want to caution on using it in applications that gets a lot of direct sunlight (aka UV light).

Transpaprency - I use this product a LOT around the house, shop, and basement. I LOVE this product in fact I have one in my desk drawer here at work, in my glove box in my car, and several at home. I love this product and use it OFTEN!!

I used it on a couple of "automotive" applications and it worked perfectly as advertised. Then about 2 months later I happened to notice both "exterior" applications were turning white and almost "chalky". Didn't really think anything about it and about a month later one of the parts secured/bonded with this was again loose. I figured application error on my part and when I looked at the other part I used it on it was GONE! Apparently the constant sunlight (UV rays) does somehow degrade this product. While it's possible I got a bad tube I have since used the same tube for INTERIOR applications and did not get the eventual white/chalky appearance and no bond failures.

UV was my concern with superglue too. Got some clear epoxy and finished the repair as per pics. Next one should hopefully be neater, but a good repair for 10 dollars total.

Attachments

• IMG_20220326_175240.jpg
    IMG_20220326_175240.jpg
    873.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20220326_175231.jpg
    IMG_20220326_175231.jpg
    877.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20220326_175211.jpg
    IMG_20220326_175211.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
I cracked up my Mavic Mini recently and used JB Weld steel to fix the broken left front arm . I did a test flight and it seems to be holding. In fact the weld might be stronger than the original material. There appears to be weak spot near the base of the arm. It would have been wise if DJI put a small thin brace across the arm right there. However that might have pushed it over 249g.

Also, warning.. this is dark grey color so its quite ugly on a white Mavic Mini. However I dont care as my MM is already banged up a bit. In fact it makes it look more rough and tough! :)

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661