DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

switched from Dashware to RaceRender - So worth it!

marklyn

Reactions
After many months of fiddling with Dashware and experiencing zero support (direct email, facebook, twitter) I have finally thrown in the towel and purchased RaceRender after a trial download.
I can't say how much better this product is and even at $59 it is so worth it.
There is a Mac and Windows version and it seems they update on a fairly regular basis.
What I like the most about RR is it (to me) seems more intuitively laid out over Dashware. The controls (gauges) are also laid out where everything is on one panel so it's easy to see/make changes.
The only part of the program that is still a little challenging to me is synchronization, but I'm getting better and better.
If you are considering Dashware or RR, it wouldn't hurt to try Dashware to start with and find the limitations, but in the process (for free) you will learn stuff that will definitely help if you switch to RR.
One caveot. Even though I have an i7-4770 @ 3.6ghz machine, it can still peg the CPU around 98% when rendering or making changes in the project. There is an option to 'multitask' your cpu so it isn't always pegged but the rendering takes a slight amount of time more.

Any vids? What do you use it for ?

Any vids? What do you use it for ?
I use it for the same thing I used Dashware for, only this is a superior product. I don't have any interesting videos that I'd post here, they're boring but I really like the software a lot.

Last edited:
You can use the .csv file from the Airdata UAV site or the .csv file from the Litchi app. Both work but there are a couple of fields that have different column headings in them. I've created a template for both formats to use depending on my situation. I favor the Airdata UAV data on one hand because it had telemetry in it that actually shows the gimbal position/direction while the craft is moving in another direction. Very handy. But, on the other hand I think the Litchi .csv telemetry data has more stuff in it. (I think).

Love me some dashware.. may have to give yoursuggestion a try.

Reactions: Kglover and marklyn
I also switched to RaceRender.
Here a sample screenshot with telemetry data from the onboard FLYYXXX.DAT because there is more data available than the .TXT files from GO4.

RRsample.JPG

Reactions: kidroc
So what are these 2 products about, flight control or what?

That’s what I’d like to know what’s the purpose of the app?

So what are these 2 products about, flight control or what?
They're overlays that use the UAV's telemetries that were recorded during the flight so you can add that info to your finished videos.

I've just started digging into this and found that Dashware is free and does a decent job of it but you can only use it on videos up to 1080p. The gauges are fully customizable in placement, size and even color and the gauge's appearance as well, but it's not very user friendly, at least not for me. I can get it to work but it's not professional.

I just purchased RaceRender as it seems more user friendly and can be used on higher quality videos, but it's still not perfect out-of-the-box.

I was just wondering what everyone who uses and if people had sources for some cool templates for RaceRender

I have been using both for around 4 years now. I like Dashware gauges better then racerender but they have been improving lately.
Dashware is not supported anymore by GoPro so don't expect any updates or answers to emails about support. There was some interest a couple of years ago from 3rd party people and it did get a update but I have not seen anything since. Still its a very good program considering its free.
RaceRender has good support and they try to work with you if you need something added. Usually in the next update they will try and make it happen. Remember that RaceRender is more for the racing circuit so aviation is not its strong suit.

Here is an example of a template I modified in DashWare and re-created with a profile adapted for the MM, MM2 and MA2. I will be making a tutorial video in how to make this possible in DashWare for people that want to learn in my YouTube channel and will be share here in the forum.

Reactions: JackL and Kglover
Here is an example of a template I modified in DashWare and re-created with a profile adapted for the MM, MM2 and MA2. I will be making a tutorial video in how to make this possible in DashWare for people that want to learn in my YouTube channel and will be share here in the forum.
I have been banging my head for hours trying to make dashware work with my MA2 telemetry. Your post is the first thing that made me smile today!! It can be done!

Reactions: zeusfl
I will start the tutorial tomorrow

Reactions: JackL
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803