DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Swollen battery

justcruisin

Reactions
I thought the swollen batteries were a thing of the past?

Just finished a flight and I noticed a small gap between the Mavic 2 Pro and the battery. Removed rhe battery and it was definitely swollen where the writing is. I let it cool off and the swelling went down.

Is DJI replacing batteries if I report it?

They might in rare cases where the batteries are defective. In most cases, batteries are damaged by not caring for them properly. If you follow these tips, your batteries should live a long life.

Just finished a flight and I noticed a small gap between the Mavic 2 Pro and the battery. Removed rhe battery and it was definitely swollen where the writing is. I let it cool off and the swelling went down.

Depends, open up a ticket with DJI and see if they will replace based on build date and serial# of the battery.

DJI in past 6 months painlessly replaced 3 Mavic 2 batteries. Even if swelling went down on cooling, it is bound to fail.

Started a new support ticket about these....Lets see if they do anything.
Mavic 2 Pro batteries 5,6 and 7

Attachments

• PXL_20220905_160708611.jpg
    PXL_20220905_160708611.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20220905_160809442.jpg
    PXL_20220905_160809442.jpg
    438.2 KB · Views: 15
...and update,immediate rejection from DJI again.

Upon checking the serial numbers provided we are very sorry to inform you that the batteries with serial numbers ............ unfortunately, we will not be able to assist you with the free replacement for these batteries

So thats a big no from them at the third time of asking for 7 unsafe and unusable batteries each with 40 or so cycles.

This is DJI support Europe.

When were the batteries purchased as new?

When were the batteries purchased as new?
First set was a FlyMore kit in 2018 (didnt claim on those but all useless within 5 months)

These 3 bought over time ranging from 2020 - 2021.

I emailed last year and got fobbed off with "we dont have any in stock try this request again in a few months". Which ive now done to be told no.

In total out of the 7 failed Mavic 2 batteries i own, one has 82 cycles, the others under 40. Ive spent almost as much on batteries as i did on the drone itself.

Individual purchase dates matter as warranties (implied and otherwise) don't last forever. Without individual purchase dates proof for individual batteries all DJI can do is rely on manufacture dates of the serial numbers. I have no idea what timeframe DJI allows for warranties but, if you believe any of your batteries fit within an expected warranty time, then submit proof of purchase to DJI with an explanation of why they should be covered under warranty.

That's what i tried last time (amazon receipts) and was told "none in stock, try again in a few months"...which i just did and got told no.

Does seem DJI support and attitude varies a lot region to region.

Reactions: Jam0ne
Some people have had them replaced, others (like me) got told no for all 7 unusable batteries with about 35 cycles each.
Exactly right. I have four Mavic 2 batteries that swell after flight. Some to the point where battery reinsertion is difficult. Contacting DJI is useless (by design). The ‘technical expert’ having almost zero English speaking skills keeps repeating that I can purchase new batteries from their website. I ask where’s my assurance that more new batteries won’t do the same thing? And they say well ‘that’s all we can offer’. Unanticipated battery swelling is a SAFETY PROBLEM.

Exactly right. I have four Mavic 2 batteries that swell after flight. Some to the point where battery reinsertion is difficult. Contacting DJI is useless (by design). The ‘technical expert’ having almost zero English speaking skills keeps repeating that I can purchase new batteries from their website. I ask where’s my assurance that more new batteries won’t do the same thing? And they say well ‘that’s all we can offer’. Unanticipated battery swelling is a SAFETY PROBLEM.
It appears from the posts in this thread and others DJI users in the United States seem to get their batteries replaced much more easily. Perhaps users from other countries try contacting US support. Even offer to pay freight cost to ship to US.

Tried that a while ago - standard email response was warranty is not global, must be the region.

Any updates on this issue @justcruisin ?

... my experience with "swollen mavic 2 pro batteries": after a battery kick-out in about 70m hight (DJI refused to carry the damage) I'm using a strap. The kick-out happens only the first time for each battery, so every "good" battery is in danger. With the battery that was kicked out I've done more than 20 flights afterwards, I think with the strap it's save to use. No need to classify DJI for this disaster, it's maximal design mistake. ...

Attachments

• P5700193_cr.jpg
    P5700193_cr.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Capt. Quirk
... my experience with "swollen mavic 2 pro batteries": after a battery kick-out in about 70m hight (DJI refused to carry the damage) I'm using a strap. The kick-out happens only the first time for each battery, so every "good" battery is in danger. With the battery that was kicked out I've done more than 20 flights afterwards, I think with the strap it's save to use. No need to classify DJI for this disaster, it's maximal design mistake. ...
Thinking about my drone's crash I did have a slightly swollen battery but don't know if it was in the drone at the time. I lost signal contact with the drone and couldn't get it back. I thought it would return home but didn't I use that last image in the Fly app to find it. It was missing its battery. Not for sure if the drone tried to land with a power line underneath it or the battery popped out. I had only been using that battery for 3 minute. Couldn't find the battery because the thick high weeds covering the area but it did save my drone from hard impact. Now my remaining 3 drone are all swollen.

Hi btsloan,
I'm sorry, I realized your message only today. It is also my experience, my battery popped out after exactly 4,53 min, In an extensive repetitive test with this battery it came out after more than 14 min, the conclusion of this, the first time a battery gets swollen it will be kicked out of the copter after some minutes. This first kick is more powerful than the consecutive ones. I had to search 3 consecutive days for the battery on the ground.
I just can repeat my experience: a swollen battery is not dead and they do not reduce their capacity as of the swelling. You have to make sure the battery is not capable of loosing contact to the copter (see att pic) than it's safe to continue to use it. Second pic, end of track, pos copter, pos batt.

Attachments

• P5700193 cr.jpg
    P5700193 cr.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 2021 05 07, wreck site screenshot out of GE.jpg
    2021 05 07, wreck site screenshot out of GE.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 8
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics