DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tablet for Old Eyes!

Quiet Place

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I know this topic has probably been beaten to death but I need advice from pilots who have tried tablets.

I have a smart controller for my Air 2 but need a bigger screen. Macular degeneration does a number on ones eyes! I have a monitor set up using the FeelWorld monitor which gives a great and bright picture. However the screen is not all that much bigger than the SC. I would like to try a 10 inch tablet. I am not worried about the bulk because at 80, I am not hiking around the country shooting pictures. I just want to fly and relax with a larger screen. I also cannot budget a high dollar item for the hobby. I don't need all the bells and whistles just a 10 inch tablet that will connect with the SC. Thanks so much for the advice and help.

Reactions: Gagey52
@Quiet Place if combined with a sun hood to cut down on glare ,then you can,t go far wrong with a none cellular 10 inch ipad 8th gen or better but that does not mean that i am anti android
there are some good ones out there as well

I moved from a small tablet to a 10" Samsung S5E, wifi version and really like having the larger screen. I found a decent bargain in a factory renewed unit.

I haven't had problems with it or the renewed/recertified/reconditioned cameras, phones, and other electronics I've bought. Check Amazon's "New and Used" items, too. No problems with them, either.

Reactions: Fero and Gagey52
Have to agree with OkDrone on the extra weight.
I just advanced to an IPad, not because of my eyes but felt that I was missing a lot of details when flying with a small screen and I was right.
The viewing is so much better. You'll love it and it makes flying more enjoyable.

I went to the Tripltek 8 Pro and it's great. My 76-year-old eyes are appreciative of the larger and brighter screen. I also recommend having a lanyard. I got the Hanatora 4.7-12.9 Inch Tablet Holder Mount. It allows you to adjust the position and angle of the tablet. I have mine where the center of gravity is over the controller and that makes it really easy to handle.

@Quiet Place For under $100, you can purchase a wifi only Samsung - Galaxy Tab A (2019) - 8". Not the fastest but for the cost of that and an SD card, for under $100 you cannot beat it. Sure, iWhatevers are great but the cost is prohibitive for me. Also, I use the the LifThor Baldur Tablet Holder. For these old eyes, this tablet and holder really work for me. Good luck in your search

Reactions: Mike M
There's a list of phones and tablets with user feedback on how well they work here:

I don't know where the best place to look in the US is but would echo the Galaxy Tab S5e/S6 Lite suggestions which should be possible to pick up for a reasonable price refurbed. When I was looking for something bigger than a phone a couple of years ago I went with a refurb Galaxy Tab S3 which I managed to pick up fairly cheap and it's worked well with the Mavic 2 Pro and although I'd say my eyesight is still good I've been pleased with the bigger screen.

First the iPhone to the iPad mini 5 to the Tripltek Pro 8.
Works for me.
IMG_20200714_074420.jpg iPad with hood
IMG_0442.JPG TRIPLTEK Pro 8 with lanyard and hood not needed.

Samsung A7 10-inch tablet. Works really good, and the price is not bad. About $250. Also need a tablet holder, and possibly a sun hood. All in all $300. Definitely worth it!

Reactions: March411
My Mum still uses one of those tablets daily from launch and she's a big fan of the size, it's such a shame they abandoned the 8in size after that especially given how popular the ipad mini's still are.

file.jpegI use a Tripltek 8 Pro, a hiking tripod, and a selfie stick to get the tablet at eye level, spread out the weight, and gives me lots of flexibility to adjust. Not for everyone, but works for me.

Reactions: tleedom
I know this topic has probably been beaten to death but I need advice from pilots who have tried tablets.

I have a smart controller for my Air 2 but need a bigger screen. Macular degeneration does a number on ones eyes! I have a monitor set up using the FeelWorld monitor which gives a great and bright picture. However the screen is not all that much bigger than the SC. I would like to try a 10 inch tablet. I am not worried about the bulk because at 80, I am not hiking around the country shooting pictures. I just want to fly and relax with a larger screen. I also cannot budget a high dollar item for the hobby. I don't need all the bells and whistles just a 10 inch tablet that will connect with the SC. Thanks so much for the advice and help.
I use the ipad mini with success for my old eyes. I've been happy with it. Have to buy the mount that hooks to your controller and allows the ipad to set up on top in unison.

Best tablet for brightness and ease of use in direct sunlight is the tripltek. It's great and supports dgi go, dgi fly and litchi
downside is it is quite heavy

View attachment 144512I use a Tripltek 8 Pro, a hiking tripod, and a selfie stick to get the tablet at eye level, spread out the weight, and gives me lots of flexibility to adjust. Not for everyone, but works for me.
I just bought the Tripltek 8 Pro and am extremely disappointed for many reasons. Most disappointing is the brightness, or lack of. It's very dim in sunlight even with brightness all the way up. In your picture it looks very dim as well. My old Note 8 I've been using is brighter. Is your picture representative of how dim your 8 Pro is or is it just the exposure and the way the picture is taken?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev