DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tablet in lieu of smart phone

MBDonahue

Reactions
We want to buy a tablet to use with our Mavic Pro. Does anyone have any recommendations? Warnings?

You can find a list of recommended and commonly used tablets here.

KB-Best-Tablets.jpg

I'm getting ready to buy the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 with the octacore procesor in a few days. My friends who use it say it works great with their drones. No lag or freeze framing.

That list that msinger was kind to share is a great list. HOWEVER... based on that list I purchased a Google Nexus 7 2013. It would not handle the video stream at all, though it seemingly received accolades from the list author and DJI. I sent it back to Amazon. Now I am just using my Samsung S8+ phone and it does great. I am looking for a tablet as well, though, to have a larger screen.

I am using a Tab S3 with my Mavic Pro.

Works 100% and the larger screen size is a lot easier to use than a smart phone.

From what I have read the Apple tablets are more stable, but I prefer the easier access to the android file system - I usually sync the whole DJI Go folder to my PC.

The only pain with using a tablet is the fact that you have to place the tablet somewhere, or make some kind of contraption to hold everything. I currently use my bike as a ground station, but if I need to move around I will probably make something out of high density foam - the stuff is firm and easy to work with.

based on that list I purchased a Google Nexus 7 2013. It would not handle the video stream at all, though it seemingly received accolades from the list author and DJI.
Android mobile devices run best when you set them up like this. Even the highly accoladed devices can run poorly if they are not setup properly.

Don't have the time or desire to tweak your mobile device? Then choose one of the newer mobile devices that are at the top spec-wise.

That list that msinger was kind to share is a great list. HOWEVER... based on that list I purchased a Google Nexus 7 2013. It would not handle the video stream at all, though it seemingly received accolades from the list author and DJI. I sent it back to Amazon. Now I am just using my Samsung S8+ phone and it does great. I am looking for a tablet as well, though, to have a larger screen.

My Nexus 7 worked flawlessly until DJI forced a Mavic Pro firmware and DJI GO 4 app update on me (in the jungle in NE Costa Rica, with like 1 Mps internet). Once I got back to 'civilization' and downgraded my FW back to the state it had when I bought the MP in January and rolled my DJI GO 4 back to the same it works flawlessly again.

I also set it up as per the method msinger posted.

That FW update in the jungle took all night and I was replacing and charging batteries all night.

I ended buying a new iPad mini that was on sale at Best Buy a few weeks ago and have not had any issues with my MA controller at all. I switch back and forth with my iPhone 7 mobile as I don’t trust not being without WiFi connectivity on the tablet, but that may just be me... but no problems at all over the past few weeks.

I use a Lenovo Tab3 8 Plus, and it runs Go4 flawlessly. Specs: https://www.gsmarena.com/lenovo_tab3_8_plus-8559.php Costs $150-200 for the WiFi version.
It's a bit wide to fit into the RC arms so it needs a tablet mount. The screen is usable in bright sunlight, but a sunshade helps. I use a matt screen protector to reduce reflections.
There's also the Tab4 8 Plus which has the same basic specs, but has Android 7 instead of 6, adds USB C, a fingerprint scanner and a slippery all glass back.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olab