DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tablet, iPad or?

aquasun

Reactions
Currently using iphoneX but screen too small and not bright enough during day. Resolution excellent though. I'm thinking of getting a dedicated tablet or iPad with very high res, large screen and more brightness for daytime flying. Does this exist? Has anyone here tried out or use what I'm looking for? What
Model equipment?

Last edited:
Currently using iphoneX but screen too small and not bright enough during day. Resolution excellent though. I'm thinking of getting a dedicated tablet or iPad with very high res, large screen and more brightness for daytime flying. Does this exist? Has anyone here tried out or use what I'm looking for? What
Model equipment?

No, an Ipad/tablet that is brighter then the 726 nit Iphone X does not exist

Reactions: aquasun
What are you flying ?
Get a Smart Controller if compatible with your Mavic. ;)

Currently a mini. The smart controller is brighter? I don't remember the specs showing it being compatible. I'm thinking of a more wind resistant model with better range as well. Only thing is I'm over water and on boats and fish and have been eyeing the Swellpro waterproof drones (sorry DJI) but wonder how repair and maintenance are handled to keep it working.

I'm using an Ipad Mini 2 and the difference in the easy of seeing what's happening is significant.

I can recommend the ipad mini 5. You can use a sunshade and tablet mount, and the screen size is perfect. Personally I use it without a mount and it slots directly into the controller arms.

Maybe a used one on eBay? Cellular model I presume gives the most flexibility regarding maps? What sunshade do you suggest?

I’m using an iPad Air with a mount and a hood.
Just looked at the Apple website and saw the iPad Air has a large screen. That seems very good for viewing to me! I’m quite confused about what model device as apple has so many models of ipads for sale. brightness, resolution? video display capability and just running the dji app software in general without lag. Any thoughts what models ipad air will give great results? thanks!

.............................................. have been eyeing the Swellpro waterproof drones (sorry DJI) but wonder how repair and maintenance are handled to keep it working.
Interesting looking drone

Maybe a used one on eBay? Cellular model I presume gives the most flexibility regarding maps? What sunshade do you suggest?
Something like this for the sunshade Sunshade

I don't have the cellular version, and it has minimal impact on flight. The only thing you lose as far as I'm aware is the ability to move/reset your home point once you have taken off (so not much good for flying from a boat, for example). If you do need a cellular connection you can link it to your phone.

Just looked at the Apple website and saw the iPad Air has a large screen. That seems very good for viewing to me! I’m quite confused about what model device as apple has so many models of ipads for sale. brightness, resolution? video display capability and just running the dji app software in general without lag. Any thoughts what models ipad air will give great results? thanks!
The 2019 Ipad air has the same internal processor etc as the Mini 5. The screen is obviously bigger. Both will run DJI Fly extremely smoothly with no lag.

The 2019 Ipad air has the same internal processor etc as the Mini 5. The screen is obviously bigger. Both will run DJI Fly extremely smoothly with no lag.

Thanks for this info. I’ll most likely get an Ipad for the mini and general all around use at home. if i decide to get a stronger dji drone in the future it will be with a big crystalsky!

Thanks for this info. I’ll most likely get an Ipad for the mini and general all around use at home. if i decide to get a stronger dji drone in the future it will be with a big crystalsky!

Beware the CS is not compatible with the MM and MA2 as they use the 64bit DJI Fly, the CS has only a 32bit architecture

Currently a mini. The smart controller is brighter? I don't remember the specs showing it being compatible. I'm thinking of a more wind resistant model with better range as well. Only thing is I'm over water and on boats and fish and have been eyeing the Swellpro waterproof drones (sorry DJI) but wonder how repair and maintenance are handled to keep it working.
The Smart Controller is NOT compatible with the Mini.

Model equipment?
I am using a Samsung s5e. lI have a Hoodman hood for it if it is really bright. Works great. Very bright.

I just bought a new iPad mini 5 for the same reason. But when I tried antenna doesn’t locate the MM all red dots. It look like only wi-fi version of iPad mini 5 doesn’t have built in cumpass only cellular version has the cumpass. But that is more expensive too. I download several different cumpasses from App Store none of them solved the problem. So I am returning the iPad mini.
I have iPad mini 3 cellular version. That doesn’t have cumpass issue but it seems cpu is too slow.
Decided to stay with iPhone x-max.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devilsown