DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tablet or smart phone?

Tkoglin

Reactions
What do you prefer when flying your Mavic Pro?
I currently use my iPhone 7+ and I like it but it’s not dedicated solely for the drone. I would like to get something to keep in my drone case and use it strictly for flying.
I was thinking about getting a used iPad4 Mini but wondered how comfortable it is having a larger screen setting in a bracket where the iPhone would sit?

I use at Ipad 2 mini - it fits perfectly on the controller where a smart phone would go - i always put it in airplane mode - only thing I recommend is you need a 90 degree cord to plug into the ipad so its not in your way as you hold the ipad and controller wings at the same time - furthermore, tablet view gives you the radar chart on the bottom left as well which aids well.

Only downfall is you need to upload the maps to it before you fly if you want to use the map flying feature. I don't use that map much and I just tilt the camera to see where I am - I have the joystick programmed for a quick 90 degree rotation of camera.

You will need a sun shade or go fly from the shady area.

Reactions: Drone Or Boat
I use at Ipad 2 mini - it fits perfectly on the controller where a smart phone would go - i always put it in airplane mode - only thing I recommend is you need a 90 degree cord to plug into the ipad so its not in your way as you hold the ipad and controller wings at the same time - furthermore, tablet view gives you the radar chart on the bottom left as well which aids well.

Only downfall is you need to upload the maps to it before you fly if you want to use the map flying feature. I don't use that map much and I just tilt the camera to see where I am - I have the joystick programmed for a quick 90 degree rotation of camera.

You will need a sun shade or go fly from the shady area.
Perfect response. Exactly what I use and love it. Probably the cheapest way to go also. Highly suggest Apple product.

Reactions: Madmax229
Mini4 seems to be a better choice based on all I’ve read. I have both the mini5 and 4. Can’t seem to find a huge difference.

Any of the Mini's will work from 2 and above and you can also connect it to your smart phone for an internet connection if need be.

Any of the Mini's will work from 2 and above and you can also connect it to your smart phone for an internet connection if need be.
Some research may be appropriate. I’ve not heard anything good said about the mini3.

I like flying with my iPhone 7+, I just wish the screen was bigger.
Those of you that fly with the iPad mini - do you like it better than flying with a smart phone? Is the iPad mini to bulky?
I was just doing some research before I spend the $$$ to make sure I’ll like it.

Reactions: Slade
I’ve never used a phone. Too small in my little mind. Some use the 9.7 inch and think the world revolves around it. I’ve tried them and feel they are more than I need. The mini4 size, to me, is near perfect.

I’ve never used a phone. Too small in my little mind. Some use the 9.7 inch and think the world revolves around it. I’ve tried them and feel they are more than I need. The mini4 size, to me, is near perfect.
My choice was the CS... haven’t looked back yet.

Reactions: Bobvt
I have the sc that I use for the m2 and the zoom and do like the screen. It is a nice feature as a stand alone device with no other contraption that needs to be connected. Since I’m an apple fan,(not really, just what I’m used to) it’s still a bit of a trick for me to move through the android system. Still not going to get rid of my mini’s. I had the mini4 up for sale and I’m not disappointed that it hasn’t sold.

I initially tried my iPhone 8, with shade, then my iPad 9.7 with shade, but in bright sunlight I had too much trouble seeing the screen, so I ended up getting the Crystal Sky 5.5 and love it. It is dedicated to just DJI Go 4 and Litchi. Fortunately, I already had the iPhone and iPad, so no additional expense. I also use a sun shade on the CS when I think about it. If I had to do over, I might have bought the 7.8 inch CS to give me a little more screen.

Reactions: Bobvt
I recently switched from using my iPhone XS to an iPad Mini 5 and really like the iPad much better. The screen is brighter than prior iPads and I have not had any issues with seeing the screen clearly in direct sunlight. The processor is a good deal faster than prior gens, so I use the iPad for much or the post processing of photos and videos as well. You do need a new cable, and a 90 degree version is a good call by earlier poster. I bought an 8-inch braided cable on Amazon for $6 that works perfectly.

I made the move after getting a phone call in the middle of flying once and realizing how that could cause some issues, so no more phone flying for me! I also really like the larger screen real estate—it allows me to see things much more clearly to decide if I want a picture or video. With my phone I would take pictures and video if in doubt and transfer it later to take a look on a bigger screen. Now I shoot less junk and save time on wading through images/video I shouldn’t have bothered with.

I LOVE using the iPad Mini 4. Even though 9.7 or bigger might be nice, the iPad mini will go in the controller without needing to buy a mount.

I do use my iPhone X when out and about, but often find I miss things that I could have focused on that I don't see until later in editing on a larger monitor.

I like flying with my iPhone 7+, I just wish the screen was bigger.
Those of you that fly with the iPad mini - do you like it better than flying with a smart phone? Is the iPad mini to bulky?
I was just doing some research before I spend the $$$ to make sure I’ll like it.
I use my iPhone 8 Plus, but I watch my drone a lot more my screen. ?

Those of you that fly with the iPad mini - do you like it better than flying with a smart phone? Is the iPad mini to bulky? I was just doing some research before I spend the $$$ to make sure I’ll like it.
YES! I upgraded my iPad to an iPad Pro, so I use my iPad Mini 4 exclusively for my drone now, awesome for picture/video editing, (Snapseed the best for fast awesome editing) making Quik videos (best fast video app), uploading to FB or YouTube in addition to the awesomeness of flying with the larger screen. The Retina screen is incredible.

Well worth the investment, and you can go for used on eBay or Amazon to save $$$.

I think the ipad Mini 4 or Mini 5 are both the best choices. I bought a mini 4 used and it had a bad battery even though the unit said it was factory refurbished so I had to return it. I was flying with it and it died and rebooted at 41% battery. It then came up showing 1% on the screen, rebooted again and came up with 42%. This cycle repeated over and over. After getting frustrated with it thinking at first it was the DJI program causing the issue I further investigated it and found out it was the ipad. Rather than taking further risk I just invested in a new Mini 5 with cellular. Now I have a good battery , no need to download maps ahead of time and I can enjoy the A12 processor which is super fast. I haven't tried it but now I can even do live YouTube drone flights with the ipad cellular feature. I never knew you could use an ipad to make and receive phone calls. I have to remember to put it in airplane mode now before I fly, lol.

This is my first week with my first Mavic . I'm doing some basic flying around yard to get a feel for this drone and eventually use of a iPad mini 2 as
my introduction into using a screen as part of flying the Mavic. Some amazing possibilities ahead of me.

I think the ipad Mini 4 or Mini 5 are both the best choices...... I was flying with it and it died and rebooted at 41% battery. It then came up showing 1% on the screen, rebooted again and came up with 42%. This cycle repeated over and over. After getting frustrated with it thinking at first it was the DJI program causing the issue ....

Had this happen with my iPad4 as well, thought it was DJI4 or firmware, the crashing of the iPad was driving me nuts, but alas, it was an old iPad and battery was failing. It cost me only $99 to replace battery and it's awesome now. I don't blame the iPad, batteries do age and I had used that iPad A LOT for several years, so a worn out battery made sense.

Had this happen with my iPad4 as well, thought it was DJI4 or firmware, the crashing of the iPad was driving me nuts, but alas, it was an old iPad and battery was failing. It cost me only $99 to replace battery and it's awesome now. I don't blame the iPad, batteries do age and I had used that iPad A LOT for several years, so a worn out battery made sense.

Buying used or refurb is always risky but the place I bought it from, TekReplay.com, said it was "like new" and they are an Apple refurbisher. They paid for the return and I got a full refund so no loss except for my time and effort. I tried to save a couple hundred and got bit and learned my lesson again, you get what you pay for... I got the newer faster ipad mini 5 now with cellular and it is a pair made in heaven for the Mavic Pro Platinum I'm flying. I recently added a folding sun shade to it and a screen protector now it is awesome in the bright sunlight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d