Get more from your Mavic
The largest Mavic community in the world
Join Us Now

Tablet/phone advice? Air 2S with standard controller

Defens

Premium Pilot
Reactions
After searching and reading several threads, I thought I'd post my own to see what advice the assembled experts here might offer!

I just ordered an Air 2S fly more combo, which should arrive shortly. After reading about latency and general lack of flexibility with the Smart Controller, I stayed with the standard remote.

Currently, I fly a Mavic Pro and a Spark, with an iPad Mini 4, and the experience has been great. But, I've been reading that the Mini 4 is probably not up to the processing power needed to run the latest version of the Fly app. So - I'll probably need to go to a different platform. I have an iPad Air Gen 3, which might work for now, but it's sort of big. My phone is a Samsung Note 4, which is almost certainly too old.

For an upgrade, I looked at the Tripltek models 7 and 8, but they are expensive and the newer Samsung phones have a newer and faster processor. My phone is due for an upgrade anyway, so I'm considering going for a refurbished Samsung Note 10.

Under current consideration: continue with the iPad Mini 4 (too slow?), use my iPad Air 3, upgrade to Samsung Note 10 (1200 nits) or Galaxy S20, or buy recent, refurb Samsung Tab of some sort and put it on a new data line through my Verizon account.

Any thoughts on these specific options would be welcomed! And if you have some other resonably priced solutions, I'm open to them too! Thanks!

Something to keep in mind - I'm 67, and my eyesight isn't quite what it used to be, so bright and detailed are a plus.

Platoon

Reactions
Samsung Note 10 is about 450 nits sustained brightness, 1200 is peak brightness (last for seconds). If you are looking for sustained brightness and iPad mini size, T8 Pro is your best bet. If you compare with the price of the new SC is $400 less and has a larger display. In my opinion, a large and bright screen is a must to enjoy flying,

Reactions: MA2 317 and Defens

Loonie01

Reactions
I fly with my Note 10 Plus in sunlight with no issues at all. Today I used my Samsung Tab S7 Plus with the Air 2s. Now the tablet doesn't seem to get as bright in direct sunlight like my Note 10 does. If you live in a very sunny area, just invest in a controller shade. A refurbished Note 10 will work well with a controller shade if needed.

Reactions: Defens
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
richardstefans