DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tablet/phone advice? Air 2S with standard controller

Defens

Reactions
After searching and reading several threads, I thought I'd post my own to see what advice the assembled experts here might offer!

I just ordered an Air 2S fly more combo, which should arrive shortly. After reading about latency and general lack of flexibility with the Smart Controller, I stayed with the standard remote.

Currently, I fly a Mavic Pro and a Spark, with an iPad Mini 4, and the experience has been great. But, I've been reading that the Mini 4 is probably not up to the processing power needed to run the latest version of the Fly app. So - I'll probably need to go to a different platform. I have an iPad Air Gen 3, which might work for now, but it's sort of big. My phone is a Samsung Note 4, which is almost certainly too old.

For an upgrade, I looked at the Tripltek models 7 and 8, but they are expensive and the newer Samsung phones have a newer and faster processor. My phone is due for an upgrade anyway, so I'm considering going for a refurbished Samsung Note 10.

Under current consideration: continue with the iPad Mini 4 (too slow?), use my iPad Air 3, upgrade to Samsung Note 10 (1200 nits) or Galaxy S20, or buy recent, refurb Samsung Tab of some sort and put it on a new data line through my Verizon account.

Any thoughts on these specific options would be welcomed! And if you have some other resonably priced solutions, I'm open to them too! Thanks!

Something to keep in mind - I'm 67, and my eyesight isn't quite what it used to be, so bright and detailed are a plus.

Samsung Note 10 is about 450 nits sustained brightness, 1200 is peak brightness (last for seconds). If you are looking for sustained brightness and iPad mini size, T8 Pro is your best bet. If you compare with the price of the new SC is $400 less and has a larger display. In my opinion, a large and bright screen is a must to enjoy flying,

Reactions: MA2 317 and Defens
I fly with my Note 10 Plus in sunlight with no issues at all. Today I used my Samsung Tab S7 Plus with the Air 2s. Now the tablet doesn't seem to get as bright in direct sunlight like my Note 10 does. If you live in a very sunny area, just invest in a controller shade. A refurbished Note 10 will work well with a controller shade if needed.

Reactions: Defens
Forgive me if I'm on the wrong thread.........but for the past 6 months I have been flying a Mavic Air 2. I am ready to jump into a tablet (8" or 10") but want something basic and affordable. My phone is an android and I prefer to stick with that system. I just need a few recommendations for a basic Android system that will do the job. I won't be using the tablet for anything but for droning. Thanks.

I fly with an Asus Zenpad Z8s which has been working out real well. I use it just for flying and it was priced right.

Thanks March 411 - PERFECT. I pulled the plug on the Zenpad 10 which was priced perfect. Again, I'm only getting the tablet for droning so there is no need for overkill just to say I have the "latest/greatest."

Reactions: March411
Glad it was what you were looking for and you found it in stock.

I fly the Air 2 also and it really improved the experience, the S8 was just to small for my old eyes.

I ended up grabbing one of these to extend the bracket to hold the tablet. It real stable for the 8 but I'm not sure how it would work out with the 10.

And these guys had a replacement battery for the 8, not sure about the 10

Reactions: fredyt123
I was hoping my ZFold3 would work for the drone, in bright sun just doesn't cut it.
Ready to try the Tripltek 8 Pro this week. It's a sturdy device for sure.

Awraynor - keep us posted on your progress.

I was able to go out for just a few minutes today. Fortuntely/unfortunately it was an overcast day.

1. The PGYTech mount isn't enough for the tablet. I should have bought the other one and will try it next time.
2. I'm looking at the Original Dobo mount for simplicity, but I like to be able to set the tablet at an angle.
3. At first I had a problem with no video although connected, but a restart or two fixed it.
4. Visibility was good, but want to try it on a really bright day. If it isn't pretty dary good I'll likely send it back and just use my Fold3.
5. I was tethering to my phone, but would like to find a data SIM although most I've found are monthly and I just want a set amount of data as I don't fly as much as I would like and wouldn't use a ton of data.

I was able to go out for just a few minutes today. Fortuntely/unfortunately it was an overcast day.

1. The PGYTech mount isn't enough for the tablet. I should have bought the other one and will try it next time.
2. I'm looking at the Original Dobo mount for simplicity, but I like to be able to set the tablet at an angle.
3. At first I had a problem with no video although connected, but a restart or two fixed it.
4. Visibility was good, but want to try it on a really bright day. If it isn't pretty dary good I'll likely send it back and just use my Fold3.
5. I was tethering to my phone, but would like to find a data SIM although most I've found are monthly and I just want a set amount of data as I don't fly as much as I would like and wouldn't use a ton of data.
Great update awraynor - my props, tablet holder and extended cord came today. Tablet is slated for tomorrow. Your comments lead to another question. I thought using the tablet wasn't dependent on having carrier connection???? If so, I will need to factor that into my experience.

Great update awraynor - my props, tablet holder and extended cord came today. Tablet is slated for tomorrow. Your comments lead to another question. I thought using the tablet wasn't dependent on having carrier connection???? If so, I will need to factor that into my experience.

It's not required, but I would like the convenience of having a connection and not having to bother to tether to my phone if needed. It connected easily to the phone, but would disconnect, maybe because of the restarts due to no video?

Which tablet holder did you go with. I did the Hanatora which was affordable, but the RAM Mount is really nice, but pricey.

It's not required, but I would like the convenience of having a connection and not having to bother to tether to my phone if needed. It connected easily to the phone, but would disconnect, maybe because of the restarts due to no video?

Which tablet holder did you go with. I did the Hanatora which was affordable, but the RAM Mount is really nice, but pricey.
Yep - I selected this one because it seemed very straightforward and in my initial test this will allow me to take my droning to a new level. And yes, as you mentioned the RAM mount is a nice feature.

Reactions: awraynor
That's the same one I bought and should have taken. The PGYTech mount will hold it, but isn't deep enough to hold it without it easily coming out.
Good question. My first thought is it appears sturdy and/or firm so I am sure if needed I can jerry-rig to make it work. I'm looking forward to the larger screen.........so for the price, this appears to be a steal. btw, which carrier do you use????

Reactions: awraynor
Good question. My first thought is it appears sturdy and/or firm so I am sure if needed I can jerry-rig to make it work. I'm looking forward to the larger screen.........so for the price, this appears to be a steal. btw, which carrier do you use????

I have TMobile. Hotspot works good enough for the times I've actually used it.

I have TMobile. Hotspot works good enough for the times I've actually used it.
OK - great. Yeah, I've had most of the biggies - Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint (old) but since downsizing I switched to Consumer Cellular and love it. By the way, sent the tablet back as it was not 6.0 or greater, so I went back online and will take my luck with a knockout.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BRUNO.CARDOSO