DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

tablet question

wytnyt

Reactions
is there any advantage to having a tablet with cellular?
if so,is phone service needed?
sorry if this sounds dumb

Hi I believe cellular will enable you to have real-time mapping but using cellular data to download maps but gps doesn’t need a live cellular connection but do check that the tablet has gps in its non cellular version I’d wifi only ... for example iPad mini 4 WiFi only doesn’t have gps but cellular version does

Reactions: wytnyt
Sorry for no punctuation and miss spells lol I’m making tea for my grand children !

Reactions: IvanG
Cellular is not needed. If there is no map then download the offline map for your area and you should be good to go. I operate my tablet in airplane mode without problems.

The advantage is that you can use features that require the Internet (none of which are required to fly).

If using an Apple device, all cellular devices include a GPS receiver (which is usable even if the cell service is not activated). A GPS receiver is required in order to use Follow Me flight mode or manually reset the home point to your current location after taking off. Again, you might not need those features.

thx guys for the fast replys
my grand daughters phone and tablet both broke at the same time nearly so im just making sure santa brings her the ones she really needs,lol

is there any advantage to having a tablet with cellular?
if so,is phone service needed?
sorry if this sounds dumb
Please be specific about which tablet/platform. They vary in capability by model.

Please be specific about which tablet/platform. They vary in capability by model.
ill be getting one from dji's list of supported tablets
likely a ipad 3 or 4 with gps wifi cellular

one other question
can the vr goggles that sell for 499 be used for ither purposes such as movie watching?
trying to figure out a way of buying these without the wife kicking my butt

Cellular is not needed. If there is no map then download the offline map for your area and you should be good to go. I operate my tablet in airplane mode without problems.
where would i d/l the needed map

where would i d/l the needed map
When in a location where your mobile device is connected to the Internet, you can cache the maps in DJI GO like this. After the maps have been cached, you'll still be able to see the maps in DJI GO after disconnecting your mobile device from the Internet.

When in a location where your mobile device is connected to the Internet, you can cache the maps in DJI GO like this. After the maps have been cached, you'll still be able to see the maps in DJI GO after disconnecting your mobile device from the Internet.
thx a bunch

I have a wi-fi iPad mini. When I’m out flying, I just turn on the wi-fi hot spot on my iPhone, cache the maps on the iPad, then switch off the hot spot. Works great.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
engmarceloacs