DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tablet question!!

That's really strange. There's a bunch of us on here that do have the same SM-T290 (North America) tablet and have been using it successfully for both the Mini and MA2. Take it, we did tweak a few settings within the Fly app to eliminate the choppy live video feed, other than that, it works well. Maybe before returning it, reinstall the app to see if it makes a difference, even a full device reset might not hurt either.

That's a big concern (screen blanks out at 10000 feet) but it also is listed here as being suitable. Maybe they didn't test long range reception.
Long range isn't a problem, it works well. I have tested easily about 6 - 7 KM without any issues.

Take it, we did tweak a few settings within the Fly app to eliminate the choppy live video feed, other than that, it works well.
Can you elaborate on those tweaks please?
I've been struggling with my SM-T290 since I got it a couple of days ago.
I finally got it installed successfully and jumped thru some other hoops and in my house it looked like it was ready to go.
I went out to fly this morning using it and kept getting the error "DJI Fly keeps stopping" with 2 options... "app info" and "close app".
In "app info" I checked all permissions that were unchecked and it still does the same...any thoughts?

Your tablet's compass has nothing to do with sim cards or GPS.

He's asking about the compass feature that shows you as the dot and the relative location and direction the quad is facing. You need the GPS on for it to work, with the GPS off the feature doesn't work.

Last edited:
Can you elaborate on those tweaks please?
I've been struggling with my SM-T290 since I got it a couple of days ago.
I finally got it installed successfully and jumped thru some other hoops and in my house it looked like it was ready to go.
I went out to fly this morning using it and kept getting the error "DJI Fly keeps stopping" with 2 options... "app info" and "close app".
In "app info" I checked all permissions that were unchecked and it still does the same...any thoughts?
Seems like you are having other problems which I would suggest you resolve first; could be related to a bad/corrupt install file and/or installation or some other software on the device comprising the app from running properly. Clear the cache for the Fly app first, if that doesn't work, I would strongly advise re-installing the Fly app since it's crashing. Firstly, uninstall DJI Fly, then delete the install file (apk), and then reboot the device.

Then download a fresh copy of the install file directly from DJI's website (DJI Fly- DJI Download Center- DJI) using the device itself, and then install it.

It's pointless using this device or any other device if the Fly app is unstable and constantly crashing.

That's really strange. There's a bunch of us on here that do have the same SM-T290 (North America) tablet and have been using it successfully for both the Mini and MA2. Take it, we did tweak a few settings within the Fly app to eliminate the choppy live video feed, other than that, it works well. Maybe before returning it, reinstall the app to see if it makes a difference, even a full device reset might not hurt either.
Can you define the tweaks that you made? I purchased the sm-t290 and returned it two days later. I was able to sideload the apk. The fly app started ok, but when I got about 1200ft away it started momentarily freezing and then moving. As I got farther away the freezes became longer until the screen went blank and then had to restart the app. The model number for the Samsung tablet that I used is SM-T290NZKAXAR .

In the settings, under Transmission, change the Definition from HD to Smooth. Also, under Camera, don't used the X gridlines. You can also try and disable Cache when Recording, that may or may not make much of a difference when compared to the other two.

Reactions: joe8012
In the settings, under Transmission, change the Definition from HD to Smooth. Also, under Camera, don't used the X gridlines. You can also try and disable Cache when Recording, that may or may not make much of a difference when compared to the other two.
I've decided to return mine, it's just too finicky and tired of messing with it...went out this morning and used my phone hassle free.
I do want a bigger screen but I think I'll just wait until I find something that is more solid.

That's a big concern (screen blanks out at 10000 feet) but it also is listed here as being suitable. Maybe they didn't test long range reception.
The Samsung models: SM-T290, SM-T290NZKAXAR is mentioned as being compatible see here

I don't know enough to be certain but I thought that it was the controller which 'relayed' video from the A2 camera to the screen device so I don't think the blank screen shouldn't have been caused by loss of video signal from the A2. Anyway if it happened twice it would be enough of a concern not to want to use that device again.
I saw at least 2 other contributors state they use that device without problems but maybe they don't fly so far away.
In any case personnally I would not fly that far away - sounds kind of scarey.

From what I have read Ipads seem to work the best.
It absolutely works the best.

I've decided to return mine, it's just too finicky and tired of messing with it...went out this morning and used my phone hassle free.
I do want a bigger screen but I think I'll just wait until I find something that is more solid.
There's really not much to mess with than changing a few settings in options, essentially 'very easy' on the difficulty scale.

Literally it takes like no more than 30 seconds to do and you're all set.

Last edited:
There's really not much to mess with than changing a few settings in options, essentially 'very easy' on the difficulty scale.

Literally it takes like no more than 30 seconds to do and you're all set.
I did get it running after changing the resolution to smooth instead of HD but it just seems kinda unstable and that it could get wonky any second.
If I may ask you a few questions plz...
1) how long have you been using yours with MA2?
2) what is the furthest distance you've ventured away from the RC?
3) what do you use to get your bearings (ac position to RC position)?
Thanks very much,
Randy

1. Since it was released back in May, before that I was using it for the Mini, again no issues.
2. About 6 - 7 KM's easily, could go further.
3. 3-D spacial awareness - having a good understanding of where in the sky the AC is so I know where to point the RC. The compass on this tablet is inaccurate so I don't rely on it and it's not needed if you know where your AC is to begin with. Even on my other devices that do indeed have working compasses, I still don't have a need to rely on it.

Very happy to see answers to questions 1 and 2!

"having a good understanding of where in the sky the AC is so I know where to point the RC..."

I have no problem determining approximately where the ac is but it's hard to tell the direction it's facing.

The compass on this tablet is inaccurate so I don't rely on it

From what I've read it doesn't even have a compass.
Thanks again,
Randy

I ordered this yesterday and it does have a compass...my only concern is that with only 330 nits it won't work well in bright sunlight but with a hood I have my hopes up.

Reactions: mschaffer66
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Surprise