DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tablet Size and Mount

DMjax

Reactions
Hey all,
I fly a Mavic Air with the goggles setup but want to switch to a tablet. I also want to run Litchi so something that works well with that is a must.

Not sure what size tablet is preferable, I0" or 8". Also, I think I read where it only needs to have WiFi (no monthly service charge required), is that correct?

I did find a Lenovo Tab 4, 2GHZ, 16GB with WiFi for $126 which seems like a great price for something I'll use exclusively for flying.

Any other tablet suggestions welcome.

Also, what's the best mount to use with the MA controller?

As always, thanks!

Reactions: Former Member
I use an iPad Air 2 (Cellular Version) as a dedicated tablet for my drones for mapping and Litchi. I am very much an Android fan but I've found that my iOS devices have zero problems, I can't say the same for my Android devices. As far as tablet mounts go the one I use is THIS ONE by Skyreat, it fold up very compact.

Last edited:
8" is the magic number. 10"+, it gets hard to be graceful, Lose visual of the controller display,etc
So yep, that Tablet looks to be fine (Good video processor, USB-C, Matt(ish) screen. LTE is a bonus). See if theres a brightness review.

Crystalsky is the best option as tleedom said if it's purely for flying.
It Has wicked brightness and port options, but is pricey.
Someone will says get a smart Controller, but that's a 5.5 screen and 3 times the price.

Do DJI googles even have ports? dunno. But it could come up in the future.

Do you do mapping on your CS? I haven't been able to find a mapping solution that works on my CS, same for my Smart Controller.

I've done routes/missions but no mapping, the OP didn't mention that. I have a Nvidia Shield as a backup, really powerful (designed for gaming) but not made any more and works great with the Spark.

Hey all,
I fly a Mavic Air with the goggles setup but want to switch to a tablet. I also want to run Litchi so something that works well with that is a must.

Not sure what size tablet is preferable, I0" or 8". Also, I think I read where it only needs to have WiFi (no monthly service charge required), is that correct?

I did find a Lenovo Tab 4, 2GHZ, 16GB with WiFi for $126 which seems like a great price for something I'll use exclusively for flying.

As always, thanks!

I have tried that Lenovo, and it was pretty slow using DJI Go 4. Lots of lag. If you do buy it, make sure you can return it. I think I bought mine from Walmart, it got returned.

If I were you, I would go for as big a display as you can comfortably hold for an hour, since you might fly through 3 batteries in a day. Im old, so a 10" tab is easy to read, but heavy to hold. 8" might be the sweet spot in tabs, for me at least.

Are you looking for Android? Try to get as new a tab as possible. You dont want to be plagues with lag, it will ruin your day.

As far as tab mounts, I swear by this one. It telescopes, rotates, pivots, swivels, and is extremely useful for any controller and a tab or phone. Its also extremely durable.

I even fashioned an extended life battery attachment for it that will charge the controller while its being used.

Eternal controller power 3.jpgEternal controller power 2.jpgEternal controller power 1.jpg

Reactions: Mikes145
I have tried that Lenovo, and it was pretty slow using DJI Go 4. Lots of lag. If you do buy it, make sure you can return it. I think I bought mine from Walmart, it got returned.

If I were you, I would go for as big a display as you can comfortably hold for an hour, since you might fly through 3 batteries in a day. Im old, so a 10" tab is easy to read, but heavy to hold. 8" might be the sweet spot in tabs, for me at least.

Are you looking for Android? Try to get as new a tab as possible. You dont want to be plagues with lag, it will ruin your day.
I'm an Android fan but in this case will use whatever seems best price and best performance.

LOL, I'll always have to look back...for my wife chasing me for spending $999

Same here, I picked mine up thru the classifieds here for $600 (a HB not UB). I just put skins on two of my drones and after I wondered if my wife will think I bought more drones when she sees them.

Reactions: mereflyer
I use an iPad Air 2 (Cellular Version) as a dedicated tablet for my drones for mapping and Litchi. I am very much an Android fan but I've found that my iOS devices have zero problems, I can't say the same for my Android devices. As far as tablet mounts go the one I use is THIS ONE by Skyreat, it fold up very compact.

I've been using the Lenovo tab 4 8 plus for about two weeks without any issue it's a 2 ghz 3b ram. I had the Lenovo tab 8 first by mistake and it crashed constantly.

I got this second hand off eBay in mint condition for 90£

Reactions: Former Member

Original and the Best.

Thunder's Tablet holder .

Now with the money you saved, you can buy a Gift for your Wife :)...

Bwuhaha, I kid, you coud look into a pair of these (Use your shield HDMI port maybe)

Original and the Best.

Thunder's Tablet holder .

Now with the money you saved, you can buy a Gift for your Wife :)...

Bwuhaha, I kid, you coud look into a pair of these (Use your shield HDMI port maybe)

Amazing! Thumbswayup

I fly with the K1 Shield and its good. You need a sun shade for it though.

Hey all,

As always, thanks!

IMG_4829.JPG

I made this for my Samsung Tab "A" - 10" Tablet.
Works perfectly for me, really enjoy the flying
in all kinds of lighting conditions.

Took me while to build, used easily found materials.

Aluminium tubing, pine wood and Depron foam board for the box.

Tab "A" slides up and out for ease of removal.

Open space under box for hands "on screen" controls.

Controller grips on platform, rest pads for wrists makes for steady hands on controls.

Big improvement for those of us oldies with shaky hands and less than perfect eyesight. (or any one else)

Adds about 100% enjoyment to the fabulous experience of flying any "Aerocamera"
(mine is a Mavic Pro)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes