DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Take off & catch by hand (Landing pad? Oh, please!)

SergiyTokarev

Reactions

Training days for me and my Mavic. Is this the best way to launch Mavic at forest?
This is my first public video from Mavic universe ;)

Reactions: Chippy
Launching under trees isn't so hot.

OTOH, did you ever get GPS before launching?

Better to spread and inspect those blades before launch perhaps?

Landing pad? Sure. Slab of plywood. Develops your fine spatial and control skills on landing while reducing dirt intake.

I think your video is great.

I've yet to take off from my hand. Definately gotta try that.

I keep my oa sensors on, so landing on my hand isn't practical.

Does landing in sport mode disable the sensors?

1. Yes, I wait for GPS lock every launch.
2. After few launches too close to trees with high wind conditions, I already have two props damaged at one meter of flying altitude with tripod mode activated. Need more attention to this...
3. Imho, takeoff from hand is more cost-effective and more spectacular, than buying launchpad. And Mavic has less chances to props damage with grass at forest.
4. I have obstacle sensors keep on, and do not have problems with take off and catch with hand. It's very easy, just try this.
Take off from hand feels like fun after motors is started and you just little shake the Mavic.

1. Yes, I wait for GPS lock every launch.
2. After few launches too close to trees with high wind conditions, I already have two props damaged at one meter of flying altitude with tripod mode activated. Need more attention to this...
3. Imho, takeoff from hand is more cost-effective and more spectacular, than buying launchpad. And Mavic has less chances to props damage with grass at forest.
4. I have obstacle sensors keep on, and do not have problems with take off and catch with hand. It's very easy, just try this.
Take off from hand feels like fun after motors is started and you just little shake the Mavic.

Sorry, I have a more "deliberate" approach to flying my drones. I've yet to even try a hand launch or capture. I should, just for practice, I suppose.

You should realize that if you launch close to trees like that and there is a radio failure with RTH on, that the drone will attempt to descend vertically over the launch point. If there were overhanging branches ...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne