DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Take Off Mid-Air?

It takes about a second for Mavic to fully start the props. Assuming the pilot's reaction time is 1 second also, Mavic will be about 64.5 feet down and traveling at 64.5 feet/s at the time the props are at full spin (ignore the upward lift produced by the props during the spin-up).

Last edited:
f5af160ad3f6b6ce379650f8fdaeafda.jpg

Reactions: armyav8tor
Since you cannot make sure that the bird stays upright during the fall it will end up in any position when the motors start and most likely not recover to normal then.

There's a whole thread about stopping and restarting the motors in flight, you might have a look at it since it's just the same stupid thing to do.

Reactions: NinjaBlade
Has anyone tried throwing Mavic off a building, and take off before it hits the ground?

You must be joking........right??? No one in their right mind would throw a $1000 drone off a building to see if it would start and fly before it hit the ground.

Reactions: Thomas B
As a reminder, DJI Care Refresh costs $90 + $80 for the first replacement. It's not a $1000 risk. Oh, the State Farm drone insurance costs $30 to $70.

As a reminder, DJI Care Refresh costs $90 + $80 for the first replacement. It's not a $1000 risk. Oh, the State Farm drone insurance costs $30 to $70.

From what I have read it will not work because the Mavic needs to gather spacial data that is normalized/steady info from the IMU system to start up. My guess is that computer system will not activate the props if it has no reference info. That's just a guess so it's up to you to find out if it's true.

Anyway since your eager to give it a go please do it safely out in the middle of nowhere and please film the whole thing. I suggest you have at least 200ft of height for it to recover from, assuming it works at all.

Rob

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661