DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Take pictures and footage, Commercial Permission required?

You'll find half of what you hear on internet forums is wrong.
Just because someone tells you something doesn't mean it's correct.

You are getting confused
The PFCO is not about selling a few photos and teh CAA have no regulations about your photos and what you can do with them.
The PFCO is a permit to fly for hire and be a commercial drone pilot, not a permit to sell photos.

The CAA can't monitor flyers selling imagery without a PFCO.
It's just not possible and if it was, it would be very low on their priorities.

Do you know how far you would have to fly to get to international waters?
You aren't getting there unless it's on a boat.

And after all that ... your idea of selling drone photos is probably just a fantasy anyway.
The world is awash with photos of all types but lacking in people that will exchange cash for them.
I wouldn't get too excited about the prospect.
If you are lucky enough to have someone offer to buy any of your work, consider yourself very lucky.

I like your thinking :D
BUT.. I have been doing a lot of research into this.. especially since I studied in this industry and then worked it for the last 26 years...
So anything I ask, is usually because I'm challenging the authority to give me some sort of answer to their new laws.. Because it is a lot of boll##ks ....

The PFCO is all about having it to sell footage,... you can't sell footage without it.. Fact according to the CAA SUA team... No I agree.. no idiot authority will ever chase you after a few pictures sold.. again, I'm challenging the CAA to give me an answer to how they would monitor it.. it's impossible, I already know that, but I have been informed that they rely on the public to inform them.. so that's what we have to watch out for... probably not as much as people just don't give a toss unless you're flying outside their window!!

International waters is about up to 50 meters away from the shore line.. although I'm sure it's less, like 5 metres... so I can do what I want as long as I'm far enough away... That is fact.. you know when people swim over the channel to france.. You know they cannot ... or not supposed to set foot on the beach.. they can do for a few seconds, if they stay any longer it's against some stupid international law.. therefore those people who swim across the channel can only set foot on the French beach for a few seconds or they will be arrested!.. Funny, but true...

If you read my second message thanking everyone on their messages.. you will see that I have already covered fantasy making money photos..... AND I have said that I am not in it for the money.. why would I? I own three successful businesses and one of them will wipe the floor with sustainable materials.... end quote//

So anything I ask, is usually because I'm challenging the authority to give me some sort of answer to their new laws..
The folks you asked can't tell you anything about future regulations because they don't know what they will be.
The PFCO is all about having it to sell footage,... you can't sell footage without it.. Fact according to the CAA SUA team...
You are still confused about that.
The PFCO is all about being qualified to fly for hire.
What you do during any commercial flight is no concern to the CAA.
It might be video, roof or tower inspection, real estate photography, mapping or surveying or many other things.
And despite what they might have told you, it is possible to sell photos without it, just don't try to make a career out of it that way.
International waters is about up to 50 meters away from the shore line.. although I'm sure it's less, like 5 metres... so I can do what I want as long as I'm far enough away... That is fact..
What is a fact is that UK Territorial waters extend for 12 nautical miles from shore regardless of what cross channel swimmers might do (or what they might have done prior to Britain joining the EU).
You are not flying from the shore to international waters with your drone.
The drone rules out to 12 NM from shore are the same as they are on land.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78