DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Taking a drone (MA2) to Costa Rica

RobertR

Reactions
Has anyone done it? And is there any hassle?

I know that it has to be registered with the DGCA.

Thanks in advance :)

I have done it just before the lockdown. Really wasn't all that difficult. Costa Rica rocks, enjoy your trip.

Cheers!

Reactions: RobertR
Here's the word from the Costa Rican civil aviation authority. It's in Spanish, but you can cut-and-paste into translate.google.com. It's in Spanish, but you can cut-and-paste into translate.google.com.

The key part for recreational fliers is Limitaciones de Operacion.

There are also maps of restricted areas around airports under Restricciones cerca de Aeropuertos.

I didn't dig through to find registration requirements.

Reactions: RobertR
how is it with TSA - will a mini 2 be allowed in carry on? Thank you!
I've taken my mini 2 through numerous domestic flights as carry on. TSA doesn't care, never even asked to search my bag. I doubt that TSA is any different for international.

how is it with TSA - will a mini 2 be allowed in carry on? Thank you!
Ive taken my Mini2 (in my carry-on bag) on several international trips. Nobody has batted an eye at the drone at all.

I *did* have the batteries stored in LiPo fireproof bags (also in my carry-on - they are generally prohibited from checked bags). Not only did the TSA not give me any trouble, I pointed out to them that the batteries were in fire-proof safety bags, which got a big double-thumbs-up from one TSA screener.

Don't worry about the drone (just treat it gently). Do worry about the batteries. Get the fireprooof bags and use them when taking them on a plane.

Here's the word from the FAA.

There's no requirement for battery bags. There is a requirement that battery terminals be covered. Tape is acceptable.

Lithium batteries are prohibited in checked baggage.

Reactions: db4476

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hollywood52761