DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Taking drone on an aircraft

Sabbagraph

Reactions
Hi all
Im thinking about taking my mini se on holiday to the Dominican republic in a few weeks but not sure of what I'll face at airport security etc etc.

Can anyone on here help me at all because I don't want to get to airport for them to say "no drones" šŸ˜•

Thanks

Depends on both national authorities and individual airlines.

Here in Canada Transport Canada regulations depend on the capacity of the battery, with limits on the number of larger batteries you can take. (I'm limited to two spare batteries for the Mavic 2, for example, but can carry more for the Mini.) Individual airlines may have more stringent regulations. (IcelandAir wants them registered (with them) before your flight, for example.)

Check the regulations for both departure and destination countries, as well as the airlines you are thinking of flying on.

In terms of safety, partly discharged and in individual LiPo bags reduces an already low risk. And in carry-on, of course.

Hi all
Im thinking about taking my mini se on holiday to the Dominican republic in a few weeks but not sure of what I'll face at airport security etc etc.

Can anyone on here help me at all because I don't want to get to airport for them to say "no drones" šŸ˜•
No-one at the airport will care any more about your drone than they do about an ordinary camera or laptop.
They see drones pass through every day.

No need to talk to your airline.
Just go to their website and search for batteries to see their rules, which will be the same as every other airline.
Batteries must be in your carry-on luggage and their charge level is irrelevant.
Someone always brings up the myth about battery charge levels, but there is no rule about that.

Thanks meta, your info makes a lot of sense, after all how many batteries of any description will be on a plane with 200/300 passengers on it.
Thank you, much appreciated.

Just go to their website and search for batteries to see their rules, which will be the same as every other airline.
Not necessarily. As I mentioned earlier, Icelandair has slightly different rules (at least compared to WestJet, which is the other airline I've taken a drone on).

TypeQuantityPackingDo you need Icelandair approval?
Spare batteries (including power banks) up to 100WhMax 20 per personAlways pack in carry-on baggage. Pack so as to prevent short circuit.*No
Spare batteries (including power banks) between 100Wh and 160WhMax 2 per personAlways pack in carry-on baggage. Pack so as to prevent short circuit.*Yes

So checking the actual airline you are flying with (or considering flying with) could be important. I had no problem getting approval for my batteries, but it had to be done in advance. WestJet and Air Canada have the same restrictions, but don't require approval first.

The only thing to be concerned with is getting through Dom Rep Customs, and flying legally in that country.

Yes, some airlines have different rules, VERY rare, but it does happen.
Emirates for example have a no drone rule in carry on, must be checked, batteries as usual with every airline in cabin carry on.

Not necessarily. As I mentioned earlier, Icelandair has slightly different rules (at least compared to WestJet, which is the other airline I've taken a drone on).

TypeQuantityPackingDo you need Icelandair approval?
Spare batteries (including power banks) up to 100WhMax 20 per personAlways pack in carry-on baggage. Pack so as to prevent short circuit.*No
Spare batteries (including power banks) between 100Wh and 160WhMax 2 per personAlways pack in carry-on baggage. Pack so as to prevent short circuit.*Yes

So checking the actual airline you are flying with (or considering flying with) could be important. I had no problem getting approval for my batteries, but it had to be done in advance. WestJet and Air Canada have the same restrictions, but don't require approval first.

Robert, I'm almost sure that spec from the airlines is per battery, hence the max #'s of batteries per person.
The M2P has a battery capacity just under 60Wh though, so should be no restrictions . . . well, up to 20 batteries at least, which should be no problems for 99.99999% of M2P owners.
(I think this would be ALL batteries and powerbanks per person, not sure if they count phones, laptops, etc in that total.)

Thanks Meta it's all making sense with everyone's input, learning a lot from you all,.

My airline is tui and as long as I follow their restrictions regarding batteries I will have no probs šŸ‘

Reactions: Robert Prior
1) TSA won't care. They will just pass it through the scanner and send you on your way. They are not going to check which airline you are flying. All they are about are guns, knives, bombs, and that 8oz bottle of shampoo.
2) Pack the drone securely in your carry one or personal item bag.
3) Make sure the batteries are less the 70% (letting them self-discharge is enough)
4) Get yourself a battery bag. Amazon has tons of them for under $15. Put the batteries in it and in your carry-on.
5) Don't even mention it to ANYONE. No one is going to search your bag once you are past the checkpoint.

I've flown with my MA2 and M3P many times and not once did I have any problem. But research the rules for the DR before you do...make sure you can legally fly there...that's more important. You will need to register the drone with DR authorities, email [email protected] for info on that.

Dominican Republic Drone Law​

Drone use is allowed in the Dominican Republic, but there are several drone laws that need to be followed when flying in the country. Operators must ensure that they follow the following drone laws when flying in the Dominican Republic,

• Do not fly over property unless you have consent from the property owner
  • You must keep at least 50 feet laterally and 100 feet vertically from any person
  • You cannot fly a drone weighing over 15 kg unless you have received permission from the aviation authorities
  • Do not operate your drone in a careless or reckless manner
  • You must maintain an unobstructed visual line of sight at all times with your drone
  • Do not fly higher than 400 feet (120 metres)
  • Only operate your drone during daylight hours
  • You cannot operate within 8 km (5 mi) of an airport or in any area that aircraft are present
  • Do not fly your drone into restricted airspace
  • Do not fly your drone near military installations, power plants, or other areas that could concern local authorities

3) Make sure the batteries are less the 70% (letting them self-discharge is enough)
4) Get yourself a battery bag. Amazon has tons of them for under $15. Put the batteries in it and in your carry-on.
Why and why?
Airlines don't suggest either one.

Reactions: PhuketAl and gspell
Why and why?
Airlines don't suggest either one.
YOu don't ever want to have fully charged batteries when flying...higher chance of failure. And the bag is for safety. They are built to withstand any type of explosion and/or fire. Airlines may not require either but they are both very good safety measures. I do this with my camera batteries as well. Does not take long to recharge them when I get the to the hotel.

YOu don't ever want to have fully charged batteries when flying
Are you certain about that?
If the airlines thought that, they wouldn't give you usb charging for your laptop and they would make a point of warning passengers to discharge batteries for flight and use Lipo bags ... but they don't.

There could be hundreds of Lipo batteries on your flight apart from those of drone owners.
And the bag is for safety. They are built to withstand any type of explosion and/or fire.
Explosion ??

Are you certain about that?
If the airlines thought that, they wouldn't give you usb charging for your laptop and they would make a point of warning passengers to discharge batteries for flight and use Lipo bags ... but they don't.

There could be hundreds of Lipo batteries on your flight apart from those of drone owners.

Explosion ??
They should. Yes, lipo's can explode...usually happens if they are overcharged, but they can fail even if they are not.

Flew to Israel on United my with my Mini2 (in my carry on) a few weeks ago. Not a single peep from TSA, United, Israeli customs, or Israeli security on the way out. My Mini2 batteries were just in the charging case, which IMO is just as safe as any of the countless battery packs all the other passengers are carrying. Airlines can have all the policies they want, but TSA (or security in whatever country) doesn't care and the airline isn't the one inspecting your bag.

All above superb advice. Only thing Iā€™d add is, I always carry a printed copy of the airlineā€™s policy on drones and especially batteries as you can then produce it if a check in desk or security questions you. As said, highly unlikely if you adhere to the letter their policies.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RWShepard