DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

TAking Mavic on airplane

Havic

Reactions
Has anyone had a problem taking the Mavic on a plane? Do you need to remove the blades and put them in checked bag?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Sorry though I had searched the entire forum but must not have. You can delete this one.

I've flown 3 times with mine so far.

Mavic (with props and battery still attached), controller, and charger were all in my backpack which I carry on the plane, and no one even questioned a thing.

Thanks Tom that helps. I was wondering about the props as well. I know the batteries have to go in your carry on but I was not sure if I should put the props in my checked bag.

Thanks Tom that helps. I was wondering about the props as well. I know the batteries have to go in your carry on but I was not sure if I should put the props in my checked bag.

I wouldn't worry about it. They didn't even open the bag to check it.

I keep the battery and props on it, with a thick rubber band wrapped around it to keep the props from flopping around or getting snagged on something else in my bag.

I'd heard the TSA would give me grief if the batteries were'nt discharged below 30% but nobody checked. I transport all of my Mavic gear in a small DSLR camera bag and it went straight through the X ray and out the other side without being inspected.

No problems. TSA looked harder at my laptop bag than they did the camera bag with the Mavic. I did deplete the batteries to almost nothing but that was more for my enjoyment.

Just flew on southwest. No problem.

TSA is only concerned with the lithium batteries and they are Less then 100 watt hours each. You can bring them on board. no need to remove the props. I would remove the battery from the Mavic as a precaution.

cheers

Just flew on southwest. No problem.

TSA is only concerned with the lithium batteries and they are Less then 100 watt hours each. You can bring them on board. no need to remove the props. I would remove the battery from the Mavic as a precaution.

cheers

Actually, don't quote me on this, but I think one of the conditions of carrying lithium batteries on board the plane is that the need to be installed on the device. I think there's some rule about them being "loose".

Reactions: Eyeinthesky33
Actually, don't quote me on this, but I think one of the conditions of carrying lithium batteries on board the plane is that the need to be installed on the device. I think there's some rule about them being "loose".

No, the conditions are that all batteries must be loose. The battery is only allowed to be installed on the device IF the battery is not removable. Also depending who you're flying with and where you go, the watt hours must be under 100.

These are Australian guide lines but I believe they don't differ very much. Lithium ion batteries are ONLY allowed on carry on and not checked at all. In Australia you're now only allowed to take 2 technically, but they mostly don't check (mostly), depends who's on the X-ray.

Also, as a precaution it is best to place some camera tape over the connectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just spit balling here, but I have seen issues with non-UAVs where someone gets through security, walks up to the gate agent and says I have X is it ok to take on the plane. My thought is that if you feel it is safe and the security guys TSA/CATSA don't raise an eyebrow, why buy trouble by posing the question.

Reactions: Hans Nieuwenhuis
Has anyone had a problem taking the Mavic on a plane? Do you need to remove the blades and put them in checked bag?

No problems here. Flew United from Houston to Honolulu with EVERYTHING in my small back pack; camera gear, chargers, camera batteries, Mavic with 4 batteries, etc. And TSA didn't even seem to be interested in it.

I am sitting at the airport as I type this and in my carry on I have the Mavic, 4 batteries and didn't even blink the eye of the TSA agent. They are all fully charged as well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using MavicPilots mobile app

Buy lipo bags. They are fire retardant bags basically so it's just one saftey measure you can take and TSA sees that you are actually take precautionary measures.

No problems here. Flew United from Houston to Honolulu with EVERYTHING in my small back pack; camera gear, chargers, camera batteries, Mavic with 4 batteries, etc. And TSA didn't even seem to be interested in it.
Same thing - except one of them was incredibly jealous. Haha

I took 3 flights with mine again over the holidays. No one blinked an eye at it. In my backpack, battery attached and fully charged....no problems whatsoever.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan