DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Taking my drone on a trip (Miami, Everglades, Key West, Bahamas)

Murphy1985

Reactions
Hi guys,

My name is Marvin and I am from Germany.

My girlfriend and I are about to visit Miami, Key West and the Bahamas in the mid of November and since we would like to do an after-movie for our friends and families at home, I’m having a couple of questions and hopefully you could help me solve them :)

I already got my drone registered at the FAA and the “sticker” with the number for my drone is on its way. Therefore, I think I am fine here.

We are staying at South Beach Miami (Ocean Drive / 5th) and, of course, I would like to shoot some videos there. However, it seems like, there is an airport nearby :(

After reading a couple of articles regarding the 5-mile radius around airports I concluded that it is ok, if I’m staying below i.e. 100ft and inform the airport in advance. Is this correct and if yes, is it possible to inform the airport by app (Airmap i.e.)?

While staying in Miami we would like to visit the everglades:
It seems like it is totally prohibited to fly there (National Park) and there are no exceptions to this rule, are there? We would like to ride a bike in the park a film us with the drone while doing it.

In the middle of our vacation, we will be driving to Key West in a convertible and it came to my attention, that there are bunches of bridges. Is it allowed to stop ahead of a bridge, get the drone in the air and have it following us while driving over the bridge?

Last but not least we are going to the Bahamas :)
Are there any special rules for flying my air there?

Thank you very much in advance!

Best regards,
Marvin

PS: If I made any grammatical or other mistakes writing this post, please let me know. I’m trying to improve my English skills J

Have a great time on your trip. Googled it and found that you have to pass a skill test to fly in Bahamas, also 400ft is the limit and you cant fly at night.

Almost all of the Overseas Highway that goes from the Miami area to Key West is a very busy 2-lane road. There are NO alternate routes. The speed limit is faster than your drone can fly. If you attempt to have the drone follow you down the highway you will not find the other drivers happy about that. There is absolutely NO place in Key West where you can legally fly a drone. There are too many people in the Miami area to allow for a safe drone flight. If you get caught flying in The Everglades National Park you will learn a very expensive lesson. Nothing on the list of things you say you want to do with your drone sound like a good idea. Those are the kind of things that make the public dislike drones and want more drone laws to limit our hobby.

Thank you for your answers :)

Except for the car thing, I did not think about the speed and got to admit I thought there may be some less used streets, you are totally right here:
What is so bad about the other stuff I mentioned? If not for taking videos or photos of beautiful places, what do you use your drone for?

@Carly Swinson
Seems like the skill test is only for "professional usage", isn't it?

There are too many people in the Miami area to allow for a safe drone flight.
This isn't true. People fly drones in Miami all the time. Just don't fly over large groups of people, and don't fly in obvious NFZs, such as near airports.

It's also legal to fly in the Keys, except in the part that's a national park. There are a few airports, so check Airmap to be sure you're not too close. If you want to fly near one, as long as you aren't too close, you can call the airport's ATC and check with them.

Last edited:
Reactions: conchman
Please don't get me wrong, I do not want to bother anybody, just getting some nice impressions to show back home :)

Is it also possible to notify the airport by mail or something like this? I'm asking because I won't be able to make calls, just be able using data.

You will probably be OK with Ocean Drive and 5th.
As for Key West, here is the map:KeyWestNFZ.jpg

I just checked the SIM-Card I got for the trip. Seems like calls are included :)

Do you now where I can get the number of the airport where south beach is within the five mile radius?

@MaviCam
What does this map exactly show? :)

Key West is problematic because of the Naval Air Station and KEYW, the General Aviation facility.

Even us lowly fixed wing pilots get sent the long way around depending on what is going on at the Naval Air Station.

There is always the go to the local airport and do a sight seeing flight over the keys.

IMG_5028.JPGIMG_5033.JPGIMG_5083.JPGIMG_5084.JPG

Reactions: Wilbur
There are few spots along the keys that can be used for droning and making great pics and videos. Just keep in mind some are private areas so if asked just say sorry and goodbye.

Hampton Inn in Key largo has an easy access to the beach area with lush palms and Tarpoon basin to fly over. Also parking is free when available.

Lazy days restaurant waiting area in Islamorada. St' Pierre's restaurant beach area probably most pictures-cue on Islamorada especially during sunset.

Right passed Islamorada is an area where they were filming True Lies movie. There are places to park and fly till your battery is dead.

In Marathon Lighthouse area behind Courtyard Marriott. Also there in Marathon Sombrero beach(whatever left of it) and you can drive slowly down that road as a speed limit 15 mph as I recall with drone following you.

There is 7 miles bridge right passed Marathon. You can park on a side and fly along the bridge.

As of Kew West its a Class D airspace which is required FAA authorization.

Reactions: conchman
Hi guys,

My girlfriend and I are about to visit Miami, Key West and the Bahamas in the mid of November and since we would like to do an after-movie for our friends and families at home, I’m having a couple of questions and hopefully you could help me solve them :)

I already got my drone registered at the FAA and the “sticker” with the number for my drone is on its way. Therefore, I think I am fine here.

We are staying at South Beach Miami (Ocean Drive / 5th) and, of course, I would like to shoot some videos there. However, it seems like, there is an airport nearby :(

After reading a couple of articles regarding the 5-mile radius around airports I concluded that it is ok, if I’m staying below i.e. 100ft and inform the airport in advance. Is this correct and if yes, is it possible to inform the airport by app (Airmap i.e.)?

It seems like it is totally prohibited to fly there (National Park) and there are no exceptions to this rule, are there? We would like to ride a bike in the park a film us with the drone while doing it.

In the middle of our vacation, we will be driving to Key West in a convertible and it came to my attention, that there are bunches of bridges. Is it allowed to stop ahead of a bridge, get the drone in the air and have it following us while driving over the bridge?

Best regards,
Marvin

PS: If I made any grammatical or other mistakes writing this post, please let me know. I’m trying to improve my English skills J

I live in Miami and have flown my drone just about anywhere I want. I do not fly near Miami International Airport (5 mile rule). Check you mileage location on Google to see the distsance and jeep 5 mniles away from MIA. I alway stay under 400 feet- in fact, I get my best shots at around 200 ft or less. Am not sure at all about the keys. There is only the one road (US Hwy 1) so I'd pull off of the road near the Marriott and use their beach. Best to shoot and run! Lots of great locatuions downtown ndear t he high rises of Brickell if you can really fly.

Thanks for the tipps guys! I really appreciate it :)

Seems like there are some spots on the way to key west where I can fly my drone :)

@Dale D "shoot and run"?

btw:
In Key West we are staying in "The Perry Hotel".. Airmap is saying "not good"... :(

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Best regards,
Marvin

I
I live in Miami and have flown my drone just about anywhere I want. I do not fly near Miami International Airport (5 mile rule). Check you mileage location on Google to see the distance and jeep 5 miles away from MIA. I alway stay under 400 feet- in fact, I get my best shots at around 200 ft or less. Am not sure at all about the keys. There is only the one road (US Hwy 1) so I'd pull off of the road near the Marriott and use their beach. Best to shoot and run! Lots of great locations downtown near t he high rises of Brickell if you can really fly.

Addendum to my previous reply
It's Dale D from Miami again. I live very near Fairchild Tropical Gardens in South Miami. This is a huge, extensive collection of rare palms, lakes, and is near the ocean on the east side of the city. I have flown my drone there several times. It is perfectly legal and permissible.
As far as flying over the Keyes Bridges, the 7 mile bridge would be very challenging. I am not sure there is any place to pull over to the side. You would have to be a very good pilot.

Miami beach you can fly legally in the park on the south part next to the inlet (South Pointe Park). Not allows to operate from the beaches or most other areas though.
Just beware tourist helicopters, many of which are well below 500ft as they cut around the corner.
I tested my mavic there as i flew to miami beach to buy it in Best Buy. Checked with security before hand and no issues operating from there (unless rules have changed)

My buddy took his Mavic with him and his family to the keys. His videos were basically filming them swimming in the water and snorkeling. He was 30’ or less above the water. I don’t see a problem with that.

Hey guys, thank you very much!
Like I said, I'm not planning to fly very "high", so i did not see a problem in the first place.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78