DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tampa Bay Area Pilots

Wow only around 10 ppl around Tampabay area that have a MP and are on this MB? I think it would be fun to have a meet up somewhere around Tampabay to fly and share tips and info. Where are your favorite places to fly?

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
Hey all. I am in St Pete and am always looking for people to fly with. Typically I try to find places with no people around like green swamp, Ocala forest, withlacoochee forest, but those are a bit of a drive, so I am always looking for closer locations. I have been hassled in a lot of the parks.

Hello Crchisholm Clearwater here. Where have you been locally and hassled so I know to stay away from them areas lol. If you wanted to meet up sometime let me know I would like to fly with another Mavic owner.

Yeah, that might be good. My neighbor across the street fliesa p3 and we sometimes meet in front of our houses and fly but I really don't like flying around people. It's cool sometimes to show off the quad but can become a distraction pretty quickly. I've been told by some of the parks that I am not welcome to fly there and I don't push the point. There are too many bad reactions to quads (don't care for the drone name) and don't want t add fuel to the fire. I mainly go to the woods or someplace else that has more trees than people.

I am a bit slow moving at 70 yrs old and semi retired but still manage to get around pretty good. I take the jeep up to Pasco or Hernando at least one day a week weather permitting.

I really like the idea of a get together for mavic/phantom pilots.

So far, four responders to this thread (Blades, Poggi747, and myself plus my neighbor, a phantom pilot). Probobly only Mavic pilots are seeing it. I am thinking there are more Tampa bay area pilots out there that face some of the same issues. I wonder if we spoke out more on this and other forums, we might get enough interest to get together and talk about issues that interest us. Maybe the underpinnings of a new informal user group. We could start by picking a place sort of central to us all (at least on the Pinellas side of the bay). In that face-to-face meeting, we might discuss things like monthly meetings, places to fly, software and hardware questions, etc. Forums are great for quick answers to general questions, but not so much for questions specific to a region.

Let's see if there is any interest in this. If there is, please express it here so we know whether to take this further.

So far, four responders to this thread (Blades, Poggi747, and myself plus my neighbor, a phantom pilot). Probobly only Mavic pilots are seeing it. I am thinking there are more Tampa bay area pilots out there that face some of the same issues. I wonder if we spoke out more on this and other forums, we might get enough interest to get together and talk about issues that interest us. Maybe the underpinnings of a new informal user group. We could start by picking a place sort of central to us all (at least on the Pinellas side of the bay). In that face-to-face meeting, we might discuss things like monthly meetings, places to fly, software and hardware questions, etc. Forums are great for quick answers to general questions, but not so much for questions specific to a region.

Let's see if there is any interest in this. If there is, please express it here so we know whether to take this further.

Greetings. I'm also in Clearwater. Have owned my Mavic for about 3 months and only flown on Anna Maria island so far and mostly over water. I would like to fly somewhere closer to home (preferably Pinellas) so I can get comfortable with the MP but not sure where I can fly without breaking rules, it seems as though the locations/options are slim here.

I understand not wanting to break the rules, but I am finding that I was probably too cautious. I am branching out and trying places that I thought I shouldn't fly (obvously not around airports or other places where I could be endangering people.) I figure that if I am not doing something wrong, respectful to other people, and I am not doing things that would be an overt act of privacy invasion, I will let the people in charge tell me if I can't fly there. I know of several people that are flying on the beaches but being careful not to give the impression of snooping on children or sun-bathers. If someone tells me that I can't or shouldn't fly there with a reasonable attitude or who is in a position of responsibility, I don't fly there. So far, that has not happened much .

Last edited:
I'm a new owner of a MP, my first real drone. I live in the Lutz / Land O' Lakes area, but travel for a living. Would love to find some great places to fly near home.

I live in Largo and generally fly my MP at City Parks in the area. I think it's not as congested in your area so you can probably do ok VLS. The MP is super stable and easy to fly manually. The learning curve with the different flight modes is a little steep at first but there are great UTube tutorials. Got my 107 4 months ago and have been having a great time flying with the DJI goggles as they are excellent for close-in or close-out video. If you come to Pinellas you might find a quiet beach and get some good shots. Happy flying!

I'm a new owner of a MP, my first real drone. I live in the Lutz / Land O' Lakes area, but travel for a living. Would love to find some great places to fly near home.

You probably have better places to fly up there over down here in Clearwater!

Last edited:
Highland Recreation Center (small field by picnic area), Seminole Recreation Center (soccer fields when not in use), Dunedin Recreation Center (near Art Museum off Michigan Ave.), Walter Fuller Park(off Park Street north of 22nd Ave., St. Pete. (very large field)

Highland Recreation Center (small field by picnic area), Seminole Recreation Center (soccer fields when not in use), Dunedin Recreation Center (near Art Museum off Michigan Ave.), Walter Fuller Park(off Park Street north of 22nd Ave., St. Pete. (very large field)
Awesome! I know almost all of those

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR