DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tamper Evident Bolts and DJI Warranty

Xanth

Reactions
I had a minor crash and am now receiving an error regarding the left front camera. My guess is that it's probably just a loose connector, but when I went to unscrew the small hex bolts I noticed that some of them are filled in with plastic. It would be easy enough to remove the plastic, but I'm guessing that's how they can tell if the bird has been opened. Anyone know?

And if that's what it is, does it matter when it's not a warranty issue?
Does it matter if I've opened it if I ultimately decide to use my DJI Refresh?

The thing flies and works fine, except for an annoying error message. I'd hate to use a refresh now, if I can wait and use it after Litchi crashes it worse than it did this time.

Thanks

Reactions: Dragonfly
Armed with confidence gained by watching this vid:
I opened up the top and sure enough, the connector for the left camera just needed some pressure applied to reseat the connection. Time will tell whether it affects anything down the road with DJI.

I had a minor crash and am now receiving an error regarding the left front camera. My guess is that it's probably just a loose connector, but when I went to unscrew the small hex bolts I noticed that some of them are filled in with plastic. It would be easy enough to remove the plastic, but I'm guessing that's how they can tell if the bird has been opened. Anyone know?

And if that's what it is, does it matter when it's not a warranty issue?
Does it matter if I've opened it if I ultimately decide to use my DJI Refresh?

The thing flies and works fine, except for an annoying error message. I'd hate to use a refresh now, if I can wait and use it after Litchi crashes it worse than it did this time.

Thanks

It's for them to see if it's been opened you are right

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Now did you just void your warranty by opening the drone yes

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I'm guessing that I voided the warranty by crashing. And everything I've heard about DJI Refresh is that they just swap out the whole unit regardless. If necessary, when Refresh day comes, the tamper-evident bolts could just happen to be damaged beyond recognition.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Are you sure it's not just threadlock?

It looks more like clear glue in the hex head. It picks out really easily with a pin. It's in one of the bolts that holds on the top cover and one that holds the bottom cover.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I posted this on the DJI Mavic Form, but was interested in the opinions from the folks here. My apologies if you have already read this on DJI.

As a Part 107 pilot, I need to perform and document regular maintenance procedures in my sUAV logbook. Every 20-hours, various items on the Mavic need to be checked and recorded; one of these items is to ensure that the screws have not worked themselves loose.

As I was checking the screws today, I noticed that the underside screw on the starboard side of the gimbal and the rear screw on the same side (behind the leg) had a clear substance applied to the inset of the screws. I assume this was done by DJI as some sort of tamper-evident measure. However, the insertion of the substance makes it impossible to ensure that those two screws are secure.

I removed the substance, checked the screws and then started to consider the implications of doing so. What if the Mavic needs to go in for repairs? Will DJI not find the substance and refuse me service? How can I observe Part 107 maintenance regulations without removing the substance?

Based on some responses, I think I might run into warranty troubles. I'm thinking of chatting online with DJI and ask them this same question. Seems a bit of a disconnect for 107 maintenance procedures. :rolleyes:

You check all other screws, then visually check that those with the glue aren't further out. Done...

You check all other screws, then visually check that those with the glue aren't further out. Done...
Yup. As someone else noted, a sharpie line could have been drawn across the head of the screw as a indicator of movement. NOW I know! Hopefully, DJI will understand but I'm not holding my breath!

From my experience, being understanding is not DJI's strong suit. Things I've read over the last months have made me think they would probably deny my DJI Refresh claim if I were to make one. If not because the screw goo is gone, because it was a Litchi crash. I'd thought that both of those facts would ultimately be concealed by my having a much larger, catastrophic crash, but wouldn't you know it, if you fly for enough years, catastrophic crashing gets harder to do. And now my 1 year window is rapidly closing. Next drone, I think I'll just keep the Refresh cash in my pocket. Cheers

I haven't read about such issues with Refresh. Warranty yes of course, but Refresh is supposed to be "no questions asked".

Now did you just void your warranty by opening the drone yes

No. DJI would need to show that the act of opening the drone is what caused whatever issue was being claimed. The act of opening the drone itself does not automatically void the warranty (at least not in the US).

Correct in theory, but in practice unless you want to be without your device for months you can usually forget...

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leon90