DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tandem battery Mavic?

Former Member

Reactions
Starting to work on this stretched Mavic project. It's work in progress, so any ideas would be welcomed.

I started it as a lark, with all the stretch limos I see. But @dirkclod mentioned that it might be a nice way to mount extra batteries to increase flight time. If everything works out, I think I might go with 1 smart battery and 2 dumb lipos wired in. Will fly on M2 props, as soon as I extend the front and rear arms.

If this works as a frame, I might just start making them for people, so that the batteries could be kept inboard, with an external charge port for the dumb lipos. Smart battery would be removable as normal for charging.

Thoughts?

Stretched Mavic.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone have any suggestions as to what batteries I could use? Im thinking tandem 3s's in addition the the 1 smart. Maybe 2 saddle packs in tandem? What are the highest capacity 3s lipos they make these days?

Reactions: mnis
Why not custom carbon frame from racing drone or similar and mount the boards and batteries on it to loose some weight strip all plastic bits or you plan some waterproofing on it??

Reactions: Former Member
Why not custom carbon frame from racing drone or similar and mount the boards and batteries on it to loose some weight strip all plastic bits or you plan some waterproofing on it??

Im trying to make it all out of old Mavic parts, which I have many of. Yes, I will try to lose some weight afterwards, wifi board, etc.

Good Idea Rob ...
But I do not want to change my Mavic Pro that much, because I do not have that many spare parts :)

So my thoughts go in a different direction:
I would carefully open two MP batteries and combine two cell packs to double the capacity.

An MP cell pack weighs only 190 grams, plus 45 grams for battery case including electronics. It should not be a problem to run two cell packs with one M1P BMS, I think.

In theory, I then get a circa 400 gram /3S / 11.4V / 7660mAh Li-HV battery.

Similar to a M1P battery, normal 3s LiPo's 11.1V / 4000mAh without electronics are about 90 grams heavier, so you can save almost 180 grams of weight with the original Li-HV cells.

Arranged standing side by side, such a double pack should fit into the battery bay of the MP. The battery connector then has to be lengthened in some way, or an adapter is used as a link. In addition, a minimalist 3D printed housing, and finished is my XXL battery ...

That was my thoughts on the matter :)

Good Idea Rob ...
But I do not want to change my Mavic Pro that much, because I do not have that many spare parts :)

I would carefully open two MP batteries and combine two cell packs to double the capacity.

An MP cell pack weighs only 190 grams, plus 45 grams for battery case including electronics. It should not be a problem to run two cell packs with one M1P BMS, I think.

Similar to a M1P battery, normal 3s LiPo's 11.1V / 4000mAh without electronics are about 90 grams heavier, so you can save almost 180 grams of weight with the original Li-HV cells.

Arranged standing side by side, such a double pack should fit into the battery bay of the MP. The battery connector then has to be lengthened in some way, or an adapter is used as a link. In addition, a minimalist 3D printed housing, and finished is my XXL battery ...

Thank you for the suggestions! That could be a good solution to the battery question.

Good Idea Rob ...

By the way, you have some great things on Thingiverse!

By the way, you have some great things on Thingiverse!
I think I have too many hobbies and too little time. I have not constructed anything new for some time. It is always a bit hard to think about which hobby should receive the most attention :)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme