DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tap Fly Free mode - does tilting gimbal change drone altitude?

Dakarenduro

Reactions
I searched and couldn't find my question.

On a Mavic Air. Using Free mode in Tap Fly. I understand I select a point above or below the horizon and it will cause the drone to ascend or descend along its flight path. I can use the yaw and rotate the drone while it will continue along its original heading. My other drones call this 'headless mode'.

Now what happens when I tilt the gimbal up/down while it is moving along its flight path? Does that cause the drone to ascend or descend since I am changing the relative position of the horizon?

Example. I enable tap fly and send it forward at a constant altitude. As it is passing the subject I use yaw to rotate the camera to follow the subject. But at the same time I want to tilt the camera downward. I would like the drone to remain at its starting altitude and not divebomb downward as I am trying to capture the shot.

I will test tomorrow if wind calms down but wanted to see if anyone already knew.

Thanks.

I searched and couldn't find my question.

On a Mavic Air. Using Free mode in Tap Fly. I understand I select a point above or below the horizon and it will cause the drone to ascend or descend along its flight path. I can use the yaw and rotate the drone while it will continue along its original heading. My other drones call this 'headless mode'.

Now what happens when I tilt the gimbal up/down while it is moving along its flight path? Does that cause the drone to ascend or descend since I am changing the relative position of the horizon?

Example. I enable tap fly and send it forward at a constant altitude. As it is passing the subject I use yaw to rotate the camera to follow the subject. But at the same time I want to tilt the camera downward. I would like the drone to remain at its starting altitude and not divebomb downward as I am trying to capture the shot.

I will test tomorrow if wind calms down but wanted to see if anyone already knew.

Thanks.
No it doesn’t. It will continue to fly towards the original point. You’d need to use the left stick to adjust the altitude.

Hmmmm. Tried it this morning. I will have to audit my logs but it appeared to descend as I tilted the gimbal downward. With no left stick input.

Just reviewing the flight record in Go4 I see it descend as the gimbal tilt goes downward. I will try again tomorrow and see if I can figure it out. Certainly must be me doing something wrong. Perhaps I'm not selecting above the horizon enough to start with.

What is the dotted red line I see oriented below the horizon on the display?

Just to confirm. Went and tested today. Works perfectly. I must have been selecting a starting point below the horizon (barely). Thanks everyone for the responses.

Hallo DakarEnduro

TapFly Mode is thought to fly your drone „without the RC“ but „with continuously touching the smartphone/tablet screen“ instead.
This is thought in order to get a smooth flying path and thus smooth cinematic video.
My recommendation for TapFly: Keep your hands OFF the RC and also the gimbal yaw wheel when using it. You can do everything just by tapping! Including climbing up down smoothly.

There are several good tutorials on YouTube that help „understanding and using TapFly“

I didn’t use this mode too often before BUT it is really great for getting nice cinematic footage without having supersmooth manual flying skills or using automated flights (litchie).

Maybe TapFly is the most underestimated intelligent flight Mode of the MP2. Could be used also as kind of replacement of course/ home lock.

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman