DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

TapFly - check before you hit GO!

InvisibleName

Reactions
So, now that my 'issue' is sorted, I thought I'd share my experience of TapFly & DJI Care Refresh. I'd been flying for a couple of months and decided to try out TapFly. My number one mistake was to do it in a built-up area! I'd done a couple of trials, and then I did a beginner's mistake - got over confident! I put the MA in a hover at about 12metres high, looked down at the display, set the TapFly destination point, and hit GO. Off the MA set while I concentrated on the screen trying to set up the video shot of flying over the top of a neighbour’s house. Then, too late, I realised that the drone was descending along its flight path & heading straight for the television aerial mast! I'd set a destination point that was below the horizon, hence it was flying towards a point that was only approx. 8 metres high! The obstacle avoidance camera didn’t see the slim mast and the crash was inevitable! The MA fell from 9 metres on to a concrete path breaking 2 arms and doing, probably unseen damage inside.

I contacted DJI Care Refresh and requested one of my two replacements; wouldn’t have been happy with a repair. I shipped the broken MA on Monday (it had to go to Holland), and I received a brand-new (definitely not a refurb) replacement 9 days later (6 of which were transit time); I’m very impressed with their service!

So, the lesson learned was…. Don’t get over confident, and make sure you are happy with the destination point when using TapFly – check & check again before you hit GO!

So, now that my 'issue' is sorted, I thought I'd share my experience of TapFly & DJI Care Refresh. I'd been flying for a couple of months and decided to try out TapFly. My number one mistake was to do it in a built-up area! I'd done a couple of trials, and then I did a beginner's mistake - got over confident! I put the MA in a hover at about 12metres high, looked down at the display, set the TapFly destination point, and hit GO. Off the MA set while I concentrated on the screen trying to set up the video shot of flying over the top of a neighbour’s house. Then, too late, I realised that the drone was descending along its flight path & heading straight for the television aerial mast! I'd set a destination point that was below the horizon, hence it was flying towards a point that was only approx. 8 metres high! The obstacle avoidance camera didn’t see the slim mast and the crash was inevitable! The MA fell from 9 metres on to a concrete path breaking 2 arms and doing, probably unseen damage inside.

I contacted DJI Care Refresh and requested one of my two replacements; wouldn’t have been happy with a repair. I shipped the broken MA on Monday (it had to go to Holland), and I received a brand-new (definitely not a refurb) replacement 9 days later (6 of which were transit time); I’m very impressed with their service!

So, the lesson learned was…. Don’t get over confident, and make sure you are happy with the destination point when using TapFly – check & check again before you hit GO!
Prior planning prevents poor performance !

Pause button. It's not there for decoration.
Yes, definitely! Whenever I'm using any of the "intelligent" flight modes I always rest my finger on the abort (pause) button and I'm mentally ready to push it if things don't look right. On a couple of occasions this has turned what could have been an "Oh Ship" moment into a non-event.

Yes, definitely! Whenever I'm using any of the "intelligent" flight modes I always rest my finger on the abort (pause) button and I'm mentally ready to push it if things don't look right. On a couple of occasions this has turned what could have been an "Oh Ship" moment into a non-event.
Good advice!

I think the thing to watch in taplfly is your altitude readout in the display

Yeah I had that happen today...descends in tap fly mode. (Free mode) Nothing in the manual about that.

Well you answered a question I made in a reply in a different topic: tapfly can drop altitude.
So how do you select a POI to fly to and not lose altitude?

Well you answered a question I made in a reply in a different topic: tapfly can drop altitude.
So how do you select a POI to fly to and not lose altitude?
Make sure when you tap on the screen that you tap on or above the horizon line. This way it should either maintain its altitude or climb

If I use tap fly I set it at the lowest possible speed, gives you more time to escape.

Reactions: swooshdave
Does tapfly work indoors ? Say a spacious indoor badminton field. If i want it to fly a straight line while gimbal is looking down. Joysticks make the drone veer slightly left or right when flying straight.

Does tapfly work indoors ? Say a spacious indoor badminton field. If i want it to fly a straight line while gimbal is looking down. Joysticks make the drone veer slightly left or right when flying straight.
I thought Tapfly needed GPS, which you won't get indoors. I'm sure someone with more info on this will either confirm or deny this!

I thought Tapfly needed GPS, which you won't get indoors. I'm sure someone with more info on this will either confirm or deny this!

Maybe the co-ordinate location mode of TapFly needs GPS, thats a giver. Dont know about the other 3 modes, thats why im looking for some confirmation.

Intelligent flight modes are great for some flights, but I never use them unless the flight area is completely clear of obstacles. But then, I'm probably a little over-protective.

Intelligent flight modes are great for some flights, but I never use them unless the flight area is completely clear of obstacles. But then, I'm probably a little over-protective.

This hobby needs you to be over-protective. So your in proper form not to worry.

Reactions: NAVMAV

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent