DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tello on a cruise ship??

terradriller

Reactions
I have a Mavic Pro and a Tello. We are leaving tuesday for a 12 day cruise on Princess Cruise line. Princess Cruise line does not allow any drones on their ships, but I'm considering taking the Tello since it's so small and I would really like to get some aerial shots on shore. I'd really hate to have it confiscated.
Does anyone have any experience with the Tello and cruise ships??
Thanks

Reactions: Wingo
If they already informed that not drone is allowed. It means not matter the size of the drone, you can't fly inside the ship, period. There is not workaround for it. What you can probably do, it's once you are out of the ship, fly the mavic and record the ship and the surrounding.

I wouldn't dare take the mavic. No way would I try to fly on board only on shore trips. I'm just curious if anyone had any experience with the tiny Tello and cruise ships

While I haven't been on a cruise with a drone, I remember reading a post on a forum somewhere that the passenger was forthright with the cruise line and told them he wanted to bring it along for use on shore excursions only. The ship kept it somewhere and gave it to him whenever he left the ship with no problems.

I worked for Princess Cruise lines as a musician for years, (not long ago) and I've been on dozens of cruises as a passenger on Princess and other cruise lines. We (musician/employees AND passengers) were ALWAYS bringing crazy things on the ship - many of which were "not allowed". Just be smart (and nice) about it. Have a story prepared.

Although their policy is "no drones", I would take my Tello, maybe not the Mavic. Keep it on your person, in a carry-on bag / camera bag. IF the ship security running the X-ray scanner when you're boarding says anything about it, I'd say,
"It's just my toy-flying-camera. I know I can't fly it on the ship, but I want to take pictures with it in the ports."

If they still say "They're not allowed on board", then say,
"Okay. Where can they hold it for me while I'm onboard, so I can pick it up when we stop at the ports and use it on shore?" -- They will probably go for this.

If they STILL say "That's not allowed", then say,
"Okay. Tell we who I need to retrieve it from at the end of my cruise." - They will definitely hold it for you until the end of your cruise.

I'd bet that if you just had a Tello neatly folded up in your camera bag, there's a 80% chance they won't even identify it as a drone and won't say a word about it. They are LOOKING for drugs, alcohol, and explosives. Most of them associate a DRONE with the PHANTOM, or similar large device with lots of big propellers.

They WILL NOT: destroy it, confiscate it forever, make you pay a fine, or kick you off the cruise. Cruise security personnel are not in the business of irritating or disappointing passengers. They are specifically trained to try to keep the passengers happy at all costs with two exceptions: 1) does it pose any real safety risk to passengers or the ship 2) would it possibly mean costing the cruise company any money, or inhibit their ability to MAKE money. (i.e. - bringing your own alcohol) They know you have many options as far as cruise lines, and they make a huge % of their revenue from returning cruisers. They REALLY want you to come cruise with them again and again, so they really want to work with you.

Of course it depends on the individual you're working with, everyone is different. Most people respond well to politeness, respect, and honesty. Worst case scenario is that you won't see your Tello again until you disembark for good.

Personally, I'll probably take my Mavic on my next cruise, for all the above reasons. But I'm pretty comfortable chatting it up with security guys, and I do trust that no damage will come to the drone even if they do end up confiscating it for my entire trip.

I wouldn't want to be in a bunch of beautiful, scenic places with NO drone and spend the whole time thinking, "I should've at least tried."

Just my 2 cents - hope this helps.

I have a Mavic Pro and a Tello. We are leaving tuesday for a 12 day cruise on Princess Cruise line. Princess Cruise line does not allow any drones on their ships, but I'm considering taking the Tello since it's so small and I would really like to get some aerial shots on shore. I'd really hate to have it confiscated.
Does anyone have any experience with the Tello and cruise ships??
Thanks
Princess Cruise Line is very hard line about Drones on board. I called and talked to
some main people at the top. And, was told no, because drone owners do not respect
other people and property. So, if you disregard their regulations you are not setting a good example representing the rest of us. Royal Caribbean accepts drones on board, just don't cruse on Princess any more.

Reactions: dvarapala
Princess Cruise Line is very hard line about Drones on board. I called and talked to
some main people at the top. And, was told no, because drone owners do not respect
other people and property. So, if you disregard their regulations you are not setting a good example representing the rest of us. Royal Caribbean accepts drones on board, just don't cruse on Princess any more.
Thanks for the info. Your right irresponsible people are to blame... I'll leave it home

This alone is ample reason for every member of this forum to boycott Princess. Why would you give your hard-earned dollars to a company with such an arrogant, ignorant attitude towards their customers?
I'm sure they had some bad experiences with irresponsible passengers on board. I didn't know their policy prior to booking...i know now

I worked for Princess Cruise lines as a musician for years, (not long ago) and I've been on dozens of cruises as a passenger on Princess and other cruise lines. We (musician/employees AND passengers) were ALWAYS bringing crazy things on the ship - many of which were "not allowed". Just be smart (and nice) about it. Have a story prepared.

Although their policy is "no drones", I would take my Tello, maybe not the Mavic. Keep it on your person, in a carry-on bag / camera bag. IF the ship security running the X-ray scanner when you're boarding says anything about it, I'd say,
"It's just my toy-flying-camera. I know I can't fly it on the ship, but I want to take pictures with it in the ports."

"Okay. Where can they hold it for me while I'm onboard, so I can pick it up when we stop at the ports and use it on shore?" -- They will probably go for this.

"Okay. Tell we who I need to retrieve it from at the end of my cruise." - They will definitely hold it for you until the end of your cruise.

I'd bet that if you just had a Tello neatly folded up in your camera bag, there's a 80% chance they won't even identify it as a drone and won't say a word about it. They are LOOKING for drugs, alcohol, and explosives. Most of them associate a DRONE with the PHANTOM, or similar large device with lots of big propellers.

They WILL NOT: destroy it, confiscate it forever, make you pay a fine, or kick you off the cruise. Cruise security personnel are not in the business of irritating or disappointing passengers. They are specifically trained to try to keep the passengers happy at all costs with two exceptions: 1) does it pose any real safety risk to passengers or the ship 2) would it possibly mean costing the cruise company any money, or inhibit their ability to MAKE money. (i.e. - bringing your own alcohol) They know you have many options as far as cruise lines, and they make a huge % of their revenue from returning cruisers. They REALLY want you to come cruise with them again and again, so they really want to work with you.

Of course it depends on the individual you're working with, everyone is different. Most people respond well to politeness, respect, and honesty. Worst case scenario is that you won't see your Tello again until you disembark for good.

Personally, I'll probably take my Mavic on my next cruise, for all the above reasons. But I'm pretty comfortable chatting it up with security guys, and I do trust that no damage will come to the drone even if they do end up confiscating it for my entire trip.

I wouldn't want to be in a bunch of beautiful, scenic places with NO drone and spend the whole time thinking, "I should've at least tried."

I really had to dig around to find prohibited items on board and what they do with them . They state that they will be confiscated and distroyed...[emoji23]

Thanks TrayBoz for the info

I wouldn't dare take the mavic. No way would I try to fly on board only on shore trips. I'm just curious if anyone had any experience with the tiny Tello and cruise ships

I've taken my Mavic Pro on three cruise and will take it on a 4th in September going to Bermuda. All cruises on NCL which I love. I had no issues each time, just don't fly it ON the ship. It might or might not get picked up in the X Ray when coming back on a ship in port. Worse case scenario (Happened Once) they hold it in security until the next port and you can take it off the ship again. No big deal, friend of mine took hers on cruises out of Boston, NYC and Miami. Our last cruise I actually ended up having a great conversation with one of the officers about drones, he invited my wife and I up to the bridge for a tour

I really had to dig around to find prohibited items on board and what they do with them . They state that they will be confiscated and distroyed...[emoji23]

I can GUARANTEE you that a cruise line is NEVER going to confiscate a passenger's $100-$1000 drone and destroy it. They would be sued SO FAST it would make your head spin, and it would be ALL OVER social media, and they DO NOT want bad press - they get enough of that already. Their reputation is everything. People everywhere would start boycotting Princess Cruises if they found that they took your personal property and destroyed it (other than alcohol, drugs or illegal substances).

I'm SURE that they DO confiscate and destroy all alcohol and/or drugs that they can - and they do this all the time.

The very worst they could do is tell you that you have to leave your drone somewhere at the port before you board, but if you had no other options, they would hold it for you rather than make you miss the cruise.

The average family spends far more than $1000 in alcohol & gambling on board a cruise and they DO NOT want to lose out on that money, in addition to not wanting the hassle of lawsuits and VERY BAD PR. Trust me, they WANT you on that ship: they WANT your MONEY!

Of course, if you call to ask them about it before hand, I'm sure they'll say anything they can to discourage you from bringing it altogether.

I can GUARANTEE you that a cruise line is NEVER going to confiscate a passenger's $100-$1000 drone and destroy it. They would be sued SO FAST it would make your head spin, and it would be ALL OVER social media, and they DO NOT want bad press - they get enough of that already. Their reputation is everything. People everywhere would start boycotting Princess Cruises if they found that they took your personal property and destroyed it (other than alcohol, drugs or illegal substances).

I'm SURE that they DO confiscate and destroy all alcohol and/or drugs that they can - and they do this all the time.

The very worst they could do is tell you that you have to leave your drone somewhere at the port before you board, but if you had no other options, they would hold it for you rather than make you miss the cruise.

The average family spends far more than $1000 in alcohol & gambling on board a cruise and they DO NOT want to lose out on that money, in addition to not wanting the hassle of lawsuits and VERY BAD PR. Trust me, they WANT you on that ship: they WANT your MONEY!

Of course, if you call to ask them about it before hand, I'm sure they'll say anything they can to discourage you from bringing it altogether.
Ok you changed my mind. You put a lot of effort into your response's and really seem to know what your talking about. I'll take my tiny Tello as a test on this trip although the MP is always my first choice.
Thanks again for the good info..I'll let you know how it went

Reactions: FASTFJR
Ok you changed my mind. You put a lot of effort into your response's and really seem to know what your talking about. I'll take my tiny Tello as a test on this trip although the MP is always my first choice.
Thanks again for the good info..I'll let you know how it went

TAKE THE MP!!!!!

Reactions: Rodkat
I've taken my Mavic Pro on three cruise and will take it on a 4th in September going to Bermuda. All cruises on NCL which I love. I had no issues each time, just don't fly it ON the ship. It might or might not get picked up in the X Ray when coming back on a ship in port. Worse case scenario (Happened Once) they hold it in security until the next port and you can take it off the ship again. No big deal, friend of mine took hers on cruises out of Boston, NYC and Miami. Our last cruise I actually ended up having a great conversation with one of the officers about drones, he invited my wife and I up to the bridge for a tour
Thanks for for the info

Reactions: FASTFJR
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000