DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bring Mavic on a Princess Cruise?ko

Marty Markoe

Reactions
Site
www.martymarkoephotography.com
Princess as well as other cruise lines x-ray / scan oncoming luggage and carry-ons. Princess claims they will confiscate drones. I understand their reticence considering idiots have been known to fly their drones while on the ship itself.

Does anyone have recent experience on Princess Cruises in particular whether you can bring the drone on board and simply carry off while going on excursions to scenic venues?

Princess as well as other cruise lines x-ray / scan oncoming luggage and carry-ons. Princess claims they will confiscate drones. I understand their reticence considering idiots have been known to fly their drones while on the ship itself.

Does anyone have recent experience on Princess Cruises in particular whether you can bring the drone on board and simply carry off while going on excursions to scenic venues?

Bring it. You won’t regret it. Just don’t bring a large hard sided case. Something small that can easily be put inside a smaller bag or backpack. Yes we all know why they don’t want you to bring it.

I was on a cruise two weeks ago on a line that “prohibits drones”. I had my drone in my dslr bag with my other camera gear and not a word was said to me. I came and went from the ship and flew in the ports I knew I could fly. As simple as that. I managed to meet another drone flier on the cruise who did the same thing I did.

They put out a blanket statement like “drones prohibited“ so idiots don’t do what we all know they might do. If you are a responsible adult You have nothing to worry about. Worst case scenario it ends up in a security office and then gets returned to you the last night of your trip.

Ive done this exact same process on a fair amount of cruises and haven’t had a problem.

The more important issue is can you fly in the ports you are traveling and will you have enough time to fly?

Ketchikan, Ak has 10,000 population. Every morning 7-8000 people get off cruise
ships for the day. Just imagine the fun in this small city with 3000 people running
around operating drones. Leave your drones at home if you are headed to AK, please.

Reactions: Howard70
Bring it. You won’t regret it. Just don’t bring a large hard sided case. Something small that can easily be put inside a smaller bag or backpack. Yes we all know why they don’t want you to bring it.

The more important issue is can you fly in the ports you are traveling and will you have enough time to fly?
Yes, that is what I'm thinking.

Yes, that is what I'm thinking.
Almost all of the SouthEast Alaska ports are NoFlyZones, due to the proximity of airports and heliports. So there is a minimum oportunity to use a drone. Most shore leave from cruise ships there is less than 4 hours so you are not getting out of the NFZ to be able to use it in any case. Could it be done, of course. And if it becomes a problem for the ports they can always legislate against it. If we keep doing this then there will not be anywhere to legally fly any more eventually.

I have brought it on Princess without any problems. Disney took mine one day after flying in Tortola. They X-ray laughed told me Nono and I picked it up when getting off the ship.

Princess Cruises cover pretty much the entire globe. If the cruise entered the territories of a range of different countries: a more pertinent point would be to ask how many different countries you would be required to register your drone with before you set off... and then ask yourself if you have the head-space to memorize all the different Aviation Authority rules & regs.

I would reach out to the company asking for an exemption, if you have Part 107, perhaps even send an image of it, stating that you are an experienced and responsible pilot.
As for flying your drone in different countries, I find the research a bit of fun, there are places that ban drones(as opposed to banning flying) where you might have problems entering the country and could have the drone confiscated. I am trying to compile a list of rules and regulations for every country. There are a number of apps and websites that can help with flight restrictions.

No drones in Mexico...must be a Mexican citizen to fly in Mexico. Think the Camans require a medical certification.

Hello! I am going on a trip to Australia next November and really wish to take my drone with me (mini 3 pro) which is a sub 250g drone that doesn't require any permits/registration. I will be taking a cruise to New Zealand after my trip on the princess cruise line. I am wondering if they would let me keep it in the cabin. I do not intend to fly it anyways in New Zealand due to the restrictions in port areas. I am wondering if you managed to take it onboard?

Thank you

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929