DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Telluride

Julius Danziger

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Going to Telluride on Wednesday on 7/13/22 for 5 days.Can anybody recommend great places to fly in and around Telluride for stills and videos.
Help will be appreciated
Thanks

I guess in Telluride the town has authority over the FAA and can control the local airspace?

Plenty of spots near the town which are national forest and would I guess be ok to launch from and would give a view of the town albeit from a distance. Unless the town also considers they control that access also.

Paul

Find some of the hang later or paraglider pilots and learn about some other roads up the mountain

Telluride tried to enforce that ordinance and got their backsides handed to them in court. They won't enforce it. They just won't take it off the books in order to intimidate the unknowledged.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Ride the free gondola to the first station. Hike up the mountain from there and you should have some fantastic views. Bear creek trail would also be nice...takes off from the end of S Pine St. Black Bear Pass at the end of the box canyon past town to the East with Bridal Veil falls that you can hike to.

Going to Telluride on Wednesday on 7/13/22 for 5 days.Can anybody recommend great places to fly in and around Telluride for stills and videos.
Help will be appreciated
Thanks
Brother J,

I went out to Colorado and found it difficult to fly anywhere around Telluride. I did get some nice shots on the road less traveled in various places. If you will be driving any distance there are probably some great places above Telluride but I didn’t search too hard due to being on the move so much the week I explored. Telluride Municipally is rather stern on drone pilots I’m led to believe so I respected their rules. Attached is a shot I got from my trip in 2019.

Attachments

• AADC22CA-E996-475A-BBD7-829C509F9B30.jpeg
    AADC22CA-E996-475A-BBD7-829C509F9B30.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 6
Telluride tried to enforce that ordinance and got their backsides handed to them in court. They won't enforce it. They just won't take it off the books in order to intimidate the unknowledged.
Is that a fact. Great to know. Next time I come to Colorado I’d love to shoot some stills. I spotted some excellent launch sites where you could simply pop up 100 to 200 ft. for epic shots. Do they still like to hassle you if seen operating a UAS?

Brother J,

I went out to Colorado and found it difficult to fly anywhere around Telluride. I did get some nice shots on the road less traveled in various places. If you will be driving any distance there are probably some great places above Telluride but I didn’t search too hard due to being on the move so much the week I explored. Telluride Municipally is rather stern on drone pilots I’m led to believe so I respected their rules. Attached is a shot I got from my trip in 2019.
Telluride passed an unenforceable ordinance about 3 or 4 years ago. They’ve since learned that they are violating Federal Preemption.

Is that a fact. Great to know. Next time I come to Colorado I’d love to shoot some stills. I spotted some excellent launch sites where you could simply pop up 100 to 200 ft. for epic shots. Do they still like to hassle you if seen operating a UAS?
I'm not sure if they do, but they tried before and lost in court.

Some in authority in Telluride have a drone hate problem, that's for sure.

Good to hear they failed after having it tested in court, should be made to correct their website and brochure info though.
They obviously still try and bluff their way to a drone free environment.

Operating from property under their management / control is obviously enforceable, should be plenty of opportunities to fly from other areas, including the forestry sites if you still don't feel like the chance of conflict.

I was just there (video still uploading) and read that you cannot launch from town (enforceable, I assume) or private property, without prior permission. If there were ordinances around actual flying, I didn't find those, but would ignore them anyway. Yes, they can tell you you cannot launch, but not where you can/cannot fly.

I was just there (video still uploading) and read that you cannot launch from town (enforceable, I assume) or private property, without prior permission. If there were ordinances around actual flying, I didn't find those, but would ignore them anyway. Yes, they can tell you you cannot launch, but not where you can/cannot fly.
Yes, you are right.

They also have the guns and the immediate authority. So, if they don't understand national airspace regulations (likely), you're asking for trouble arguing. Cops that are wrong on the law usually don't take your word for it, but see that as something to be sorted out in front of a judge.

So, my advice when some local authority tells you you can't fly somewhere you best bet is to land, pack up, and go somewhere else. Politely inform the authority of the FAA's jurisdiction, and suggest they check it out.

Otherwise, you're signing up to waste a lot of time and hassle to prove you're right. Unless there's something pretty special there that you must shoot, however in that case it's wiser to know the local laws and regs, and get permission ahead of time, even if you don't truly need it.

We live in a society, which can often be frustrating 😁

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne