DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Temp No Fly Zones

I've been out of the air defense industry for over 20 years, I thought all aircraft had IFF, Military use was Information Friend or Foe. But all Aircraft have squawk number, ident.

I worked as a CryptoTech in the Marines for a MACS squadron and IFF was in our ballpark (It's "Identification Friend or Foe", just to refresh :)) But it doesn't work exactly like civilian Squawk/Ident. It actually transmits a signal that is encrypted and awaits the response...thus bad guy, no reply :p But yeah close enough.

Unfortunately in your case you did the "boo boo" of allowing DJI to update, I never let it do that, mostly in Firmware though. I swipe away all updates until I find out what they are on the "Chatter". There are better Avenues as you know now unfortunately to find TFR's. But hind site...yada..yada.

You take care out there, be safe, track local media, I'm sure they will let you know if "Smokey" is coming your way....as I am sure the local first responders and aircraft flying over head will. I'm sure it isn't your first rodeo to prepare, so I will leave it at that. ;)

I worked as a CryptoTech in the Marines for a MACS squadron and IFF was in our ballpark (It's "Identification Friend or Foe", just to refresh :)) But it doesn't work exactly like civilian Squawk/Ident. It actually transmits a signal that is encrypted and awaits the response...thus bad guy, no reply :p But yeah close enough.

Unfortunately in your case you did the "boo boo" of allowing DJI to update, I never let it do that, mostly in Firmware though. I swipe away all updates until I find out what they are on the "Chatter". There are better Avenues as you know now unfortunately to find TFR's. But hind site...yada..yada.

You take care out there, be safe, track local media, I'm sure they will let you know if "Smokey" is coming your way....as I am sure the local first responders and aircraft flying over head will. I'm sure it isn't your first rodeo to prepare, so I will leave it at that. ;)
Sorry for slow reply, drone is on holiday due to a local TFR till October 23rd. No local fires or air traffic around me for 25 miles at all for two weeks. As for the DJI update, I was surprised it happened at all as my Tablet was not on Wi-Fi and it's not on a cell plan. Yet, it forced the update and grounded me, with no internet connection. Last I tried to fly in my own front yard, I got to 12ft before being forced to auto land. I was faster, landed on my own.

oh and yeah, I did miss speak IFF, first word is Identification. Retired out of radar, missiles & aerospace industry. Funny I make more money retired painting houses than I ever did as an engineer.

Hopefully the TFR doesn't last as long as predicted.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan