DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Terrain automatic leveling while flying

smlick

Reactions
Hi all,
I know there's a function that follow the terrain leveling during flight but I like to know if is it possible to use it during flight for example while tracking is in function.
An example is a mavic PRO with active track enable and a fly height of 20m.......if it found terrain higher than 20 m from the starting point it'll crash.
in 2 cases I was near crash with this kind of problem during an active track session.

there's a solution?

Regards
Alessio

Not to be facetious, but scout the mission first, noting heights of obstructions and set you altitude higher for the photo/vid flight.

Not to be facetious, but scout the mission first, noting heights of obstructions and set you altitude higher for the photo/vid flight.
I already know about that.....I asked if ther's the possibility to adapt an altitude of 20m (for example) to the terrain change. So not an absolute heights but a relative heights depending on terrain.
For example mantain 20m........I like offroading and frequently terrain level changes. I can't position to 60m the Mavic because in 500m will be an ascending of 40m.

I already know about that.....I asked if ther's the possibility to adapt an altitude of 20m (for example) to the terrain change. So not an absolute heights but a relative heights depending on terrain.
For example mantain 20m........I like offroading and frequently terrain level changes. I can't position to 60m the Mavic because in 500m will be an ascending of 40m.
Not that I know. Such a feature would really be useful on videos like this one:

there's a solution?
You need to fly with Hangars Autopilot app. As you are having a Mavic Pro, it is well supported.
In combination with an iPhone (6s onwards) or iPad (Air 2 onwards) which have a barometric sensor, it is possible to track uphill or downhill as you intended to do in your described scenario.

Reactions: smlick and Thomas B
You need to fly with Hangars Autopilot app. As you are having a Mavic Pro, it is well supported.
In combination with an iPhone (6s onwards) or iPad (Air 2 onwards) which have a barometric sensor, it is possible to track uphill or downhill as you intended to do in your described scenario.

Good find! I saw this a while back, but you have to get 2 pages in before compatibility with M2 series is even mentioned.

Good find! I saw this a while back, but you have to get 2 pages in before compatibility with M2 series is even mentioned.
Hangars website shows the supported aircraft: (scroll down a little)

But the development of Autopilot stopped back in October 2018 or so, and therefore no Mavic 2 series compatibility.

Hi all,
I know there's a function that follow the terrain leveling during flight but I like to know if is it possible to use it during flight for example while tracking is in function.
An example is a mavic PRO with active track enable and a fly height of 20m.......if it found terrain higher than 20 m from the starting point it'll crash.
in 2 cases I was near crash with this kind of problem during an active track session.

there's a solution?

Regards
Alessio
I've flown using Active Track with my Mavic Pro and it's followed me up inclines. Like you, I wanted to have it track my vehicle while driving on a trail, but where I wanted to drive was under heavy tree cover. So it had to stay low to the ground, and still climb as the terrain level increased,

I started testing by walking up a hill with plenty of open space and it not only increased altitude as it tracked me up the hill, it also decreased altitude when I turned around and came back down. I then tried to have it follow the Jeep up a hill with no trees overhead, and that worked as well; climbing about 60' to 70' as I drove. I finally got up the nerve to try it under the tree cover and it worked *most* of the time. There were a few occasions when it didn't climb and I had to bump the left stick to keep it away from the ground.

It's very possible that the Mavic was close enough to the ground (approximately 10' or so) that the VPS was what was maintaining its altitude above the ground. The 20m that you want to fly would be too high for the VPS to see the ground.

Anyway, I didn't think it was supposed to work, but it did.

Thanks for your reply

I've flown using Active Track with my Mavic Pro and it's followed me up inclines. Like you, I wanted to have it track my vehicle while driving on a trail, but where I wanted to drive was under heavy tree cover. So it had to stay low to the ground, and still climb as the terrain level increased,

I started testing by walking up a hill with plenty of open space and it not only increased altitude as it tracked me up the hill, it also decreased altitude when I turned around and came back down. I then tried to have it follow the Jeep up a hill with no trees overhead, and that worked as well; climbing about 60' to 70' as I drove. I finally got up the nerve to try it under the tree cover and it worked *most* of the time. There were a few occasions when it didn't climb and I had to bump the left stick to keep it away from the ground.

It's very possible that the Mavic was close enough to the ground (approximately 10' or so) that the VPS was what was maintaining its altitude above the ground. The 20m that you want to fly would be too high for the VPS to see the ground.

Anyway, I didn't think it was supposed to work, but it did.

Hi okw,
the problem is that sometimes we (me and my drone) are at different altitude from the ground. For example a small hill near my car track while the drone records from one side (left or right) or dune in the desert they go high from low in only some meters of distance so I could be at 10 meters while the drone at 70cm because it flyes 15 meters on the left or right.
Is possible to customize the VPS?......and how?

Regards
Alessio

Reactions: Ds67888

I don't know if it's properly my scenario, like I wrote to okw, we (me and my Mavic) could be are at different heights so my target is to set a minimum heights from the ground for mavic so it'll not crash if there's a small hill (like dune in desert) while recording some meters from me.
This is what the APP do?
I think the only possibilities is to set the VPS.....the Mavic knows the heights from ground. Just a method to use VPS to set minimum fly heights.......so it override the normal fly heights if the terrain is ascending

The feature you're looking for is called "Terrain Aware." And as far as I know, it's only available with Map Pilot. MP uses SRTM data to calculate terrain and does it quite accurately. As far as real-time flight goes, I know no way of "automatically" adjusting for terrain.

D

I'm new to the M2P, but my understanding is when your "draw the box" around the subject to follow, it's the drone's camera, and angle to subject, that determines what the drone will do, aside from avoiding obstacles, it's altitude will be relative to the target to be tracked. So if you ascend, the drone will also, maintaining the subject (you in this case) in the frame as when set up.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka