DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Terrible noise cancelling (48 MP images)

photoholic

Reactions
Hi folks

just received my MA2 today and could test it a little bit. As a passionate photographer for me all that matters is the image quality. And unfortunately I have to say I'm really disapointed with the Sony Quad Bayer and further with the much too strong DJI-noise-reducation-algorithm.

Check out the zoomed areas below (the images were raw-files of course). This is absolutely typical for noise-cancelling not applied properly but much too strong. I'd rather have more noise and clear it myself with special software. Is there a way to get the DNG more like flat unprocessed?

But it's nevertheless the best drone out there at the moment imho.

Best and thanks for fixing this DJI

John

main.jpg
View attachment 1.jpg
View attachment 2.jpg
View attachment 3.jpg

Last edited:
Hi folks

just received my MA2 today and could test it a little bit. As a passionate photographer for me all that matters is the image quality. And unfortunately I have to say I'm really disapointed with the Sony Quad Bayer and further with the much too strong DJI-noise-reducation-algorithm.

Check out the zoomed areas below (the images were raw-files of course). This is absolutely typical for noise-cancelling not applied properly but much too strong. I'd rather have more noise and clear it myself with special software. Is there a way to get the DNG more like flat unprocessed?

John

View attachment 102261
View attachment 102262
View attachment 102263
View attachment 102264
Can you show a comparison of the 48MP to the 12MP with both zoomed into the same size? Seems that the 48MP is always at ISO 100, even up to 4 seconds when in autoexposure, while the12MP quickly jumps to higher ISO to keep the shutter speed faster in low light. This difference alone could explain the superior results of the 48MP setting.

Last edited:
Hi folks

John

View attachment 102261
View attachment 102262
View attachment 102263
View attachment 102264

Having exactly the same issue with my images in every photo modes.. Pretty dissapointed.

I assume this is ISO100. It is a bit overdone, but I would call it terrible. I agree that I would rather take care of noise processing myself. I am amazed that such great looking images can come from a 1/2 inch sensor.

I mean, I guess this could be an issue if you were making 40"x27" inch prints that would be viewed from a few inches away, or if you needed to extract a close crop from an image rather than just moving the drone in for a closer image.

Why did you make the crops 8000x6000? They should be about 1/10th those dimension for true pixel peeping.

Last edited:
I guess I don't understand.

"As a passionate photographer for me all that matters is the image quality. And unfortunately I have to say I'm really disapointed"

"But it's nevertheless the best drone out there at the moment imho. "

What percentage did you post the marked areas? Those look to be much higher that 100%. That's where you need to make the comparison.

And as far as the "best drone out there at the moment", I'll have to strongly disagree.

From the files I've seen (my MA2 isn't here yet, event thought I ordered it the day it was announced, but that's a different thread altogether), it still doesn't come close to what we can get out of a Mavic 2 Pro.

A 1/2" sensor just doesn't compare to the 1", even with the Quad Bayer on it.

It's a good little drone, but it doesn't earn the "best" title by far. But you did add the caveat "IMHO". So there is that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allen25