DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Testing how the M2P does RTH after disconnection

Oops ! wrong file attached.
In that flight I tried for the first time to put the RC into a metal can but failed to break the radio connection. Subsequently I downgraded the drone back to CE mode, flew the drone further away, put the metal can inside my car and close the car door to force disconnection.
That one does show a loss of signal but I still have difficulty believing that switching off the controller activates Smart RTH rather than Failsafe RTH.
I guess I'd have to do some testing myself to confirm one way or the other.

Very nicely done. Your have a lot more courage then I do testing over water, with the possibility of facing unpleasant conditions, or behavior with your drone. RTH feature is a great topic to discuss, and demonstrate. When ever trying a new feature of the RTH, I always do it in a large open field. You must have nerves of steel.

I understand the comment about the RC possibly sending an RTH if it's shut down normally. It's possible, but I doubt it.

Logs from the device would not be too reliable, since the app is no longer communicating with the RC, let alone the AC. Once signal is lost, there isn't any more information to obtain from and about the AC. Only if the signal was regained during flight could it be possible for the app to catch up and retrieve previous flight data. I don't think the app does that though, except maybe for brief signal losses.

If we could retrieve and read the logs from the AC, then we'd have more reliable information. That was useful for me with my P3 where app log showed signal loss, but AC log showed no loss. That explained why the P3 didn't return until after 4 minutes from what seemed like a loss, where it RTHd on low battery.

What if there is a disconnection during a waypoint mission. Does it retrace the mission steps ?

Depends on program being used. If using third party, which is all I use for missions. The program DroneLink will RTH on signal loss and no retrace from reports I have seen. However Litchi will fly the complete mission as it is not dependent on signal as it loads the whole flight into the FC. But from what I have witnessed on forums, most aircraft are lost on autonomous missions..and that is no fault to the aircraft or software.

People just don't understand how to actually use the software correctly to make sure there will be no instances of collisions. Most people who impact fail to understand that a altitude gain from one way point to another is transitional to the next way point and that can lead to serious issues. That generally is from way point one to way point two from my observations.

I did another test today. The RTH height setting ( 25m ) is lower than the roof of the building blocking the signal ( 27m ). It's flight path retracing capability is very useful in such circumstances. The Mini in the same situation would have crashed.

Last edited:
I did another test today. The RTH height setting ( 25m ) is lower than the roof of the building blocking the signal ( 27m ). It's flight path retracing capability is very useful in such circumstances. The Mini will certainly hit the building in the same situation.

The video is not playing on you tube ?

Depends on program being used. If using third party, which is all I use for missions. The program DroneLink will RTH on signal loss and no retrace from reports I have seen. However Litchi will fly the complete mission as it is not dependent on signal as it loads the whole flight into the FC. But from what I have witnessed on forums, most aircraft are lost on autonomous missions..and that is no fault to the aircraft or software.

People just don't understand how to actually use the software correctly to make sure there will be no instances of collisions. Most people who impact fail to understand that a altitude gain from one way point to another is transitional to the next way point and that can lead to serious issues. That generally is from way point one to way point two from my observations.
With Dji waypoints 2 if the option "continue if signal lost" is selected then this is what it does BUT if you regain signal the drone enters a hover and RTH needs to be pressed . If the the signal is not regained the drone will return to home automatically - at least thats what worked for me!!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J