DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tethering a Mavic Mini

Simbafish

Reactions
I have just received my impressive Mavic Mini. It's my first drone and so no experience in piloting. My concern is that where I live in Florida, there are many many ponds. Each body of fresh water in Florida has a resident alligator. Ponds are hard to avoid and actually would enhance any videos I might make. My concern is that the MM will eventually, from bad piloting or gusts of wind or bird interference, end up in the drink ..Where I live, boats are NOT permitted on the ponds. I need a way to retrieve from the shore the MM. As a precaution until I gain more confidence, I was thinking of attaching a floating device so the MM will not sink..But how to retrieve? Attaching a fishing line with possibly a golf wiffle ball as minimum weight would give be a retrieval system but do not know how feasible this is. I have searched the web for answers but find nothing conclusive. Looking for suggestions.

I was thinking of attaching a floating device so the MM will not sink.
I would highly advise against adding any additional weight to the Mini. It has propulsion issues as it is. Adding any weight at all will make the aircraft even more unstable.

Reactions: PhantomFandom
Check out this product:

We use one when flying over large bodies of water just in case.

In regards to "How to retrieve" maybe a fishing pole and a lot of luck?

Just from reading here, the two primary causes of Mini loss, in order of frequency, appear to be strong wind blow aways and uncommanded descents.

To avoid the down wind blow aways, don't fly in brisk winds, which almost always increase in intensity with altitude.

The uncommanded descents are more vexing, recent thought being they are due a deficiency in propeller design where the blades flex flatter to lose pitch. Best to stay away from the alligators until this is resolved.

Kilrah said it all and You only need a small space to train yourself. Smaller is probably better. You’ll be confident in no time I promise

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djiNonMini