DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

THE "5 REASONS I’M ALLOWED TO FLY HERE" CARD

That information was correct on 10/2017 when it was posted. It is no longer correct.

Also, they cannot look you up by a serial number, they can look up your information based on the registration number that you placed on your drone.

Edit: This thread was 9 months old
Yeah I know, i was looking for the most recent thread about angry anti-droners and this appeared to be it at the time. I had my first aggressive encounter with a dude who thought I was creeping on the people in the condo complex i was flying near. Obviously I wasn't, I was just showing it off to my in-laws, and crashed. When I went to retrieve it he was standing in front of it, yelling at me about how i was peeping in on people and landing on people's patios.

I wish i'd said, Dude, if i could land on people's patios, i wouldn't have crashed into this tree.

As i was walking up to him, i knew this was going to be a potentially dangerous situation, and I was able to recall some of the other posts I've read here about talking people like him down. He wasn't going to get interested in the gear or anything, but I stayed calm, and eventually he got out of my way and stormed off.

Last edited:
Yes. Traffic cones, vest, construction hat. Look official and people will leave you alone. They’ll think you have authorization even if you don’t.

Being 6' 5" and 310 LBS works as good as a dorkvest and cones I bet. :D

I was a bit of an activist when I was younger. I have little tolerance for those in authority who try to enforce non-existant laws. My approach is to be polite but firm. If they are polite and friendly I may even be flexible. If they are a jerk, I will politely decline their request and walk away. Most interactions with officers are voluntary.

Police and especially private security have no control over airspace. Michigan has drone preemption which prevents local units of government from regulating drone use. Also, most officers have no idea what the law says about drones. Most officers, in my experience, are good people and will not bother you as long as you wash, rinse, repeat.

I wouldn’t provide id if requested as you are not required to carry id in Michigan.

Wash, rinse, repeat: Am i being detained or am I free to go? If so, walk a few feet away. If detained, can you please explain your reasonable suspicion that I am committing a crime? Stop talking.

The nice thing about mavic is that you can record the audio direct to your iPad during flight. Recording devices are an excellent tool to keep over zealous security forces in check.

Reactions: mcascone
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom