DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The 500' rule

After reading so many posts on here and on UK Drone site, I have a better understanding of why it is important to follow the rules and this is not the only Sport in the UK I am into that has very strict rules and Regulations.

Always seems the more fun you can have the more the rules are there to stop you, but they are there for a reason and when the final reason could be that you could endanger someone else's life. Well that dose make it a good reason.

A few things you have totaly wrong. You can fly above 400 feet AGL if you are withing 400 feet of a structure, (building, tower, power line polls ets) when you aee within 400 hindred feet of that structure you can fly the hight of that structure plus 400 feet. As far as flying ove people there is somthing you should know you can fly over people if they are aware of and aprove your flyover. If you have your part 107 you can request a waver to fly over people.
How did someone respond as 'Angry', and why?

I'm in the USA and understand that I must be at least 500' away from a building, cars, people.

I also understand that I can't fly above 400'.

With that said, what if I need to fly over people, etc?

Because I can't fly over them at 500'.
You can't fly directly over which means you can maneuver around populated areas keeping your distance from pedestrians.

I'm in the USA and understand that I must be at least 500' away from a building, cars, people.

I also understand that I can't fly above 400'.

With that said, what if I need to fly over people, etc?

Because I can't fly over them at 500'.
Use common sense. While I would never fly directly over a crowd, if you're flying around a neighborhood and some guy is out washing his car, I would just fly. Many will disagree, but "common sense" seems to have been completely trumped by paranoia and an almost morbid level of safety.

YMMV.

D

Reactions: ICHOTT
You can't fly directly over which means you can maneuver around populated areas keeping your distance from pedestrians.
Yup. It states that you are not to fly over crowds of people. But I agree just use best judgment.

How did someone respond as 'Angry', and why?
Maybe it's because the post you quoted couldn't be more wrong and contains dangerous misinformation about flying over people.

Just a thought.

The government: we promise you this, (but we’re gonna do what we want to do, when we want to do it!)

Or

. . . And you believed us! Ha, ha, haaa haaa haaa!
True. But it's one thing if it was solely an FAA plan for safety, but Congress mandated it as part of reauthorizing FAA's existence and funding. It couldn't be that hard to implement something reasonable. DJI did for a while have the app issue a 10 question quiz on the basic rules.

To the OP:
You’ve been on here a while with quite a few messages, what do you think of the answers, has it helped?

Reactions: Ex Coelis
A few things you have totaly wrong. You can fly above 400 feet AGL if you are withing 400 feet of a structure, (building, tower, power line polls ets) when you aee within 400 hindred feet of that structure you can fly the hight of that structure plus 400 feet. As far as flying ove people there is somthing you should know you can fly over people if they are aware of and aprove your flyover. If you have your part 107 you can request a waver to fly over people.

OUCH! Wrong and "half correct" information...

Let's break it down bite by bite (or byte by byte LOL)

You stated "You can fly above 400 feet AGL if you are withing 400 feet of a structure, (building, tower, power line polls ets) when you aee within 400 hindred feet of that structure you can fly the hight of that structure plus 400 feet. "
That is ONLY for Part 107 Operations and only in Uncontrolled Airspace. If flying under Part 107 and exercising the "Structure" allowance you can NOT use this to enter Controlled Airspace.

As a hobbyist/recreational operator flying under those rules, Title 49 of the United States Code (49 U.S.C) § 44809, there is no Structure Allowance what so ever. It's strictly 400' AGL.

Then you said, " you can fly over people if they are aware of and aprove your flyover".
Absolutely WRONG! No person/people can give you permission to bust an FAA Regulation/Rule except the FAA and they do not currently have a process in place (and probably won't) for § 44809 to get relief from the existing rules.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erhard